Second hand D3 or brand new D800/E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2009
Can't find any similar posting for the above. Want to upgrade to FX body but undecided which to buy. Photography preference is outdoor landscape, adventure and sport. D3 second hand - $3500; brand new D800/E - $42++.

Appreciate you ideas and contribution.

Thank you.

Do you need the high MP count? Do you need very fast framerate (I am assuming you need for sports photography), will heavy weigh bother you?

I would get a D3s any day because I don't need that massive MP count and I need speed (as in fast framerate), and high pixel count would mean bigger file size, which means I can get less pic in my card/ cards.

One more option: wait for the D600.

If you bargain hard you can get a D3 for $2.8K. Its one generation behind the D3s. Meanwhile rent one, shoot for a day outdoors and ask if you are still able to carry the extra weight, dripping sweat and all. Unlike Nikon of old who promises 10 years of spare pairs, its all money down the drain should your D3 go kaput or someone sells you a lemon.

Can't find any similar posting for the above. Want to upgrade to FX body but undecided which to buy. Photography preference is outdoor landscape, adventure and sport. D3 second hand - $3500; brand new D800/E - $42++.

Thank you.

First of all, thank you very much for all your wonderful and helpful contributions. D600 is still long way to come to our shore and D3 probable problem sounds terrible. Look like D700 is the viable option if cost is the consideration.

Thank you once again.

Thank you.

u sure can get D800 E at 4200???

First of all, thank you very much for all your wonderful and helpful contributions. D600 is still long way to come to our shore and D3 probable problem sounds terrible. Look like D700 is the viable option if cost is the consideration.

Thank you once again.

I've had 2 D3 bodies over the past 3 years. What problem?

If you bargain hard you can get a D3 for $2.8K. Its one generation behind the D3s. Meanwhile rent one, shoot for a day outdoors and ask if you are still able to carry the extra weight, dripping sweat and all. Unlike Nikon of old who promises 10 years of spare pairs, its all money down the drain should your D3 go kaput or someone sells you a lemon.

Ergonomics of the D3 is good enough that it doesn't feel half as heavy as it's actual mass. A good strap (eg. optech weight reduction type) helps alot as well.

Did I state $4200? Look at the ++ signs after the 42. Don't jump on people when you can't accept that the price is available by other sources.

shootuntiludrop said:
Did I state $4200? Look at the ++ signs after the 42. Don't jump on people when you can't accept that the price is available by other sources.

D800 possible. However, for D800E a little hard to believe. The previous lowest was $4699 from challenger and is no longer available...

I'm assuming ur /E denotation meaning D800 or D800E.

Get the Nikon D3100. You, the user, compose the image. not the camera. Thank you.

D800 and D3 are pro level bodies and very different. At this professional level, you shld be able to distinguish which of these r meant for u.

If u can afford the cash, just go for the newer camera that has the latest technology, d800.

Those who go for d3 knows what they want, the fast af speed and high frame rate.

A entry level dslr is able to produce stunning image, that is if you know how to use it properly. Maybe you should ask urself if your photo will improve if you spent money on cam and len, if not its just like buying something but doesnt make good use of it.

D3 should be more than capable for your photography. D800 has huge MP, slower frame rate and buffer.

If your cilents or yourself don't need to print super large size, don't need to consider D800 for a hobby. If you want something more affordable, D700 + MB-D10 would do it too.

HTH.

If money is an issue get D700 2nd hand n spend on good lens.

D800.is good but D700 is enough.

My present set up is D200; AF-S 24-120 and the Bigma 50-500. I want another body, preferably a FX body for the Bigma. The D200 pairing with 24-120 as walk about and FX body with Bigma for sport, outdoor adventure or wildlife.

Thank you for all your wonderful contributions.

If u want a FX, D700 is so much more than enough. Maybe you are doing professional work for Nat Geo, D800 would be good. If u post photos on FB, any body will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.