Second camera to have because im lazy

jacky599r

Jan 16, 2012
Guys,

I am looking for another camera to shoot lifestyle and street photography; basically, a multi purpose setup.

I have the em5 used for landscape shooting. I do, however, find it difficult (and troublesome) to switch lenses around. Therefore, I am thinking if getting another MFT camera would be sensible. I have the following lens:

1. Oly 9-18mm
2. Samyang 7.5mm
3. Pana 14-45mm
4. Pana 25mm pancake

Looking forward to inputs!

Guys,

I am looking for another camera to shoot lifestyle and street photography; basically, a multi purpose setup.

I have the em5 used for landscape shooting. I do, however, find it difficult (and troublesome) to switch lenses around. Therefore, I am thinking if getting another MFT camera would be sensible. I have the following lens:

1. Oly 9-18mm
2. Samyang 7.5mm
3. Pana 14-45mm
4. Pana 25mm pancake

Looking forward to inputs!

Since you don't seem to be able to even shortlist some cameras, just get the cheapest Oly m4/3 you can buy.

Sometime those older model are going quite low price (clearing stock). Maybe just get those will do.

Maybe ep5 or gx7?

Probably u gotta start with sharing more of your needs and budget before we can give better answers.

Budget low the EP3 or EPL series is more then capable , budget high u've the respectable EM1 , EP5 and GX7. Video fanatic u've the GH3, idiot proof camera u've the EPM-2 and on. Want even cheaper u can find a GF3 body though as a friend I'll advice u not to touch it.

The lenses listed are great in that they aren't heavy hence I see any issues with most bodies. If u listed the Oly 12-40 I probably will automatically remove the EPL and EPM series.

Let us help u better by being clearer with your needs :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. ..

Last edited:
I probably will stick with the MFT format since I am comfortable and have my EM5 setup.

This will likely to be street photography when I travel around since I have my em5 setup with nodal ninja, 9-18mm, and my stand. So I needed one that can allow me to shoot the carefree stuffs during travelling.

I am probably getting the 12-35mm to go with this second cam. Or just make do with my 14-45mm. I used to own gf3 but it's just so difficult to compose.

No need fancy features and probably not break the bank. Probably 800?

I probably will stick with the MFT format since I am comfortable and have my EM5 setup. This will likely to be street photography when I travel around since I have my em5 setup with nodal ninja, 9-18mm, and my stand. So I needed one that can allow me to shoot the carefree stuffs during travelling. I am probably getting the 12-35mm to go with this second cam. Or just make do with my 14-45mm. I used to own gf3 but it's just so difficult to compose. No need fancy features and probably not break the bank. Probably 800?

The 12-35 is an excellent choice , even though the 14-45 is itself a sharp lens , the constant f2.8 is something one should go for if it's within budget. 0 regrets with the 11 months I spent with it. :)

For a budget of around 800 , u r going to be really happy with a whole lot of choices. :)

If u want something lighter since it's for carefree shooting , i suggest the lighter EPL5 or 6 with the VF2 combo only if u need the EVF. With the EP5 and GX7 release, the prices of the EPL5/6 have dropped significantly.

If u prefer Panasonic , I feel that only the GX7 or GH series is worth it and the other bodies probably will frustrate u since u came from the EM5 but these 2 will be a bit too expensive for a casual shooting choice.

Keithwee, thank you for the response.

Would it be wise if i get myself those ultra compact camera? Maybe something like ricoh gr or the like?

Keithwee, thank you for the response.

Would it be wise if i get myself those ultra compact camera? Maybe something like ricoh gr or the like?

hmmm...

firstly u do have a good lens collection to start with for MFT from duper wide to telephoto and a superb prime. If u r into fully utilizing them , a 2nd body will prob be better since your original point was on u don't like to keep changing lenses.

Go for a high end compact if u wan the choice of 'very light' days of not even bringing out the lenses. I actually do it this way with my larger (ok, its not really large) setup as the EP5 + 12-40mm or the D-Lux 6 for the one camera for everyday walk abouts. The very good ultra compacts may even cost more than a MFT body hence that's one consideration too.

The most i will carry is the EP5+VF4 , 12-40 while the lightest I will go is the EP5 + 17/1.8 or the DLux 6. I like the flexibility.

In the area, the ones I'll actually rate as really good are the D-Lux 6, RX100M2, X20. And to be fair, I haven't tried Ricoh and Pentax hence i shouldn't comment on them.

I tried the dlux 6, not too bad! Haven't tried the sony though, just wondering if the interface would be much of a difference.

Agree, I feel going off MFT seems like a waste to me...then again, having a capable n gd IQ compact in the pocket is pretty fun too!

What are the prices that im looking at for those compacts?

I tried the dlux 6, not too bad! Haven't tried the sony though, just wondering if the interface would be much of a difference. Agree, I feel going off MFT seems like a waste to me...then again, having a capable n gd IQ compact in the pocket is pretty fun too! What are the prices that im looking at for those compacts?

Bro , prices u will have to ask in shops la haha. I'm not a seller.

Probably u should take a look more and once u decided on a specific model u can always pm me and I can recommended some trustworthy shops for u to consider.

The interface was what put me off the Sony. I went from x10 to x20 to the RX100M2 until I finally settled for the DLux.

The Fuji had the best handling and OVF's excellent but was let down by poor AF in low light. The Sony's great in low light and details but the interface and handling didn't work for me. I settled for the DLux in e end as it met my personal needs and hit the right balance. The colors are wonderful.

I had used each and every model listed here for at least close to a month in trying them so it wasn't a 'try in shop for a few minutes' type of decision.

Go to the Sony at Wisma, last time I was there they had the RX for people to try.

I'm hoping u don't ask what about LX7 vs DLux6. It's a compared to death qn that I've answered before and the answer is simple - get both cameras and do a OOC JPEG comparison side by side. U will know the answer straight.

Last edited:
get another em5... or there is the rumor of the new budget omd coming out.

I'm highly intrigued by the Panasonic GM1. But I'd only consider it with the pancake zooms and primes.
I don't think the likes of the 2.8 zooms will balance well on it.
Also when I travel, in the past I've taken my DSLR and my wife uses a compact P&S. I think the GM1 would be a great alternative that she wouldn't find intimidating nor complain about the weight. Since I usually only take my EM5 for travel these days, the fact they share the same lenses is a plus for me (and for you too since you're using m43 anyways).
The main downside I see is the relatively poor battery life.
Depending on the price when it becomes available (when is it btw??) I may pick one up as a take anywhere camera myself. The biggest competition is the RX100/II IMO. It becomes a flexibility vs convenience equation.

Keithwee, thank you for the response. Would it be wise if i get myself those ultra compact camera? Maybe something like ricoh gr or the like?

I have a em5 setup. Got a ricoh gr4. Fun and effective compact. Superb for discreet walkabouts. Truly defines point and shoot. No regrets.