Second camera for travel when the DSLR is too big

wirezz

Mar 29, 2011
I always take along my DSLR when I travel. It's a canon FF so I have a 24-105 and usually a 50mm 1.4 with me as I prefer to travel as light as possible.

However frequently during the evenings when I head out to dinner and stuff I never can justify dragging along the DSLR as it is just too intrusive.

Do you guys face the same situation? What do you guys do?

Bring along a seperate m43/nex/fuji x pro system (+ lenses and charger) or just get by with an iphone ?

i bought a m43 camera for leisure but realise i don't love the images from it. switched to a fuji. nicer pics but terrible to use. lucky its leisure so im not too upset.

I got myself a fuji X-E1 :)

Everyone will have their own limits as to what they consider too big/heavy/bulky to carry for certain occasions.
For me, I found myself in a very similar situation to you (except I used Nikon FF as oppose to Canon).
I subsequently bought the original E-M5 with kit lens and a 75mm/1.8 prime (150mm FF equiv).
I find there's a world of difference when packing for travel but I still find it troublesome to bring even my m43 to dinners or social outings. Having said that, the smallest m43 outfit eg. The Panasonic GM1/5 with a pancake prime is still substantially smaller than my existing kit.

Whilst I don't mind my kit lens, I generally dislike variable aperture zooms and if the 12-40/2.8 kit was available when I purchased my E-M5, I would have done so.

Best thing is to check out the various systems in store and play around with it. Only you can decide what's acceptable to you from a lighter camera system.
Camera ability wise, I find you don't loose out much (and gain some) compared to DSLRs but of course this will largely depend on what you shoot and what lens you need.

i switched to Mirrorless due to this reason.

dumped the DSLR at home. now it's on loan to a friend for his professional work.

so much more convenient :D

then i can buy small to big bags and then it will depend on how many lens i bring out on that day.

Maybe I should stop being fussy and just travel with a mirror-less next time. Seems to be the modern thing to do

If you want mirrorless for the small size, also take note of what lenses you want to get. You can definitely get a smaller and lighter system, but depending on what lenses you use, the system can be quite large e.g. most Sony E-mount zooms apart from 16-50 and 18-55 are quite large, Oly 12-50 is light but very long

If you want mirrorless for the small size, also take note of what lenses you want to get. You can definitely get a smaller and lighter system, but depending on what lenses you use, the system can be quite large e.g. most Sony E-mount zooms apart from 16-50 and 18-55 are quite large, Oly 12-50 is light but very long

I agree with you man!
With my old nex 7 I used to have the sigma 19 and 30mm primes which I thought were great, but they were also quite bulky. The Fuji pancakes (18/27) seem to be a better idea.

The 6d with 40mm pancake combo feel best when not having the mood to carry those heavy lens around. : )

The 6d with 40mm pancake combo feel best when not having the mood to carry those heavy lens around. : )

Problem with 6D is you always have to carry a flash around... don't understand why they can't put in a simple pop up flash.

iPhone 6plus is really good

As age is catching up w me, the spine and shoulders are giving way...

Changed from D800 to Sony a7r. Served me well as I still get the IQ. Now I have a back up Panasonic LX-100 that shoots 4K video.

This my set up.

EOS-M, 22mm and 40mm STM lenses. EF-M to EF adapter for the latter or other Canon lenses.

Was using the Nikon V1 for a couple of years. Now switched to XT-1.

One thing to note, for APSC or FF mirrorless systems, the lenses are not exactly small and light.

7D to m43 for me. Using EM1 with P15 and O25.

It all depends on what you consider acceptable quality vs bulk. I use an Xperia phone as camera for trips when the last thing I want to do is fuss over camera settings when I should be enjoying the trip.

why not bring a smaller canon body that can mount the same lenses.

eg. Nikon D800 and D3XXX
already big difference in size and weight

I use a Sigma DP1m as a back up on my trips.
Its for the specific purpose of a backup and catered for IQ and IQ only.
Big sacrifice on versatility, but for my needs it has done well.

Others I know of, opt for more versatility and use the Ricoh GR.

If I don't go for the Sigma DP1m, I'd bring a Pentax Q7 as my 'light use' camera.

Options abound nowadays.
A 2nd hand m4/3 with 20/1.8 or a cheap NEX5+Sigma 30/2.8 would suffice for your needs while being light and cheap.

Last edited:
Its an expected want, as we age lol.

I have a X100T just for this purpose when I don't wish to lug the larger interchangeable lens system out. I wouldn't really go for a smaller body within the same system as if i wish to travel lighter- it really means light as in 1 body.

I use a Sigma DP1m as a back up on my trips.
Its for the specific purpose of a backup and catered for IQ and IQ only.
Big sacrifice on versatility, but for my needs it has done well.

Others I know of, opt for more versatility and use the Ricoh GR.

If I don't go for the Sigma DP1m, I'd bring a Pentax Q7 as my 'light use' camera.

Options abound nowadays.
A 2nd hand m4/3 with 20/1.8 or a cheap NEX5+Sigma 30/2.8 would suffice for your needs while being light and cheap.

Any comments on the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f/1.7? That and a GX7 seems like quite a slim combo.