Second body

chris0804

Jun 1, 2009
Jakarta
Currently have a 5d2ii but would like another body to mount my 70-200 with for reach. I am looking at a 7d. So in my travel, all I need is my 24-70 on my 5dmkii and a 70-200 f 2.8 IS on a 7D body so no lens changing is required as I have covered from 24 to 320mm.
Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Currently have a 5d2ii but would like another body to mount my 70-200 with for reach. I am looking at a 7d. So in my travel, all I need is my 24-70 on my 5dmkii and a 70-200 f 2.8 IS on a 7D body so no lens changing is required as I have covered from 24 to 320mm.
Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

you've still only got till 200mm. all you have is an equivalent FOV till it looks like 320mm. if you really want that extra reach, you need more lenses.

Honestly, would you really want to carry another body while you are travelling? Especially when you are already travelling with a heavy lenses like the 70-200?

5d+7d for traveling, that's too heavy. If u need 3 bodies for ur work, that will be more reasonable. For traveling I will prefer light weight prime lens. 24l plus 135l will be good enough.

Maybe TS very fit.. Hmm..have you consider this? Do you ALWAYS need to use 70 200 on your travelling? And even yes..Do you really need to get a new body just for it? I suggest if you need that extra reach.. why not get another lens with longer FL..bring that instead and keep the 70 200 at home. Not sure if you really want to carry so much weight on a holiday.. Holiday and work is different you know. : )

I have a 1000D for longer reach camera. Good and light weight enough for travel. :angel:

I have exactly what you want and your lens setup as well.... Do not really know what you are looking for here or what advise you want so just my findings ....:)

Few things to consider when you have 2 body is the camera strap... Straps like black rapid dual camera straps would be needed and also a back pack... Not sling type but a back pack..

With dual system straps, do get prepared for your bodies to be knocking against each other and a big hassle when you want to squat to compose or offload your systems to take a break....so please consider if you would like to be that tied down during a holiday :)

One thing you gain would be the speed from wide all the way to tele but not changing lens frequently maybe... but you will definately still change lens.

With dual camera systems i actually steer more towards prime... 35mm on 5D with 85mm on 7D, 50mm-135mm kinda setup...your 70-200 2.8 IS is definately a no no for me on holiday hahahah

Hope any of my nonsense and complains help you in your decisions :)

A couple of things you may need to think about.
What are you shooting to be so important to carry 2 large heavy bodies and lens?
How often are you using the longer reach for a 70-200 on APS-C?

If you don't need that tad bit faster AF, why not get a 600D (same sensor as the 7D).
If you need the weather sealing, then the 60D is suitable too.
Why not consider a m4/3 or bridge camera if you only need more reach in a lighter package?

All I can say, never underestimate the effect of weight on your enjoyment of a trip.

sometimes i lazy bring my 5D and lens travel.. and you wanna bring 2 bodies!

lol respect!

you should rent the 7D and try it out once! sure damn xiong.

Truth to be told..Some people just love to carry their "dry cabinet" on their back when they go on a holiday.. in the end..never use. Had afew friends doing that...and they struggle..Why oh why..

Truth to be told..Some people just love to carry their "dry cabinet" on their back when they go on a holiday.. in the end..never use. Had afew friends doing that...and they struggle..Why oh why..

Wo... maybe he is an soldier from the past, I know in the past, there are sessions where they carry their cupboard all the way to the parade square. Nice, I would love to see someone backpack a dry box though.

I help to feel curious, 2 bodies for traveling ? Is TS on journalism or what ? No time to change lens ? There again, perhaps TS is always pulling his luggage along, then it's not that heavy. :bsmilie:

Weight apart, it definitely doesn't makes you look like a tourist on foreign soils.

chipping in a little.

I did tried once, lugging 2 camera bodies with 3 lenses on a 2-weeks photography trip. My main intention is not to have different bodies to cover vast focal length but more on redundancy/ backup in case one body fails as that trip was a pretty harsh one.

Other than event coverage I hardly heard of anyone bringing dual bodies just for the sake of covering from wide angle to telephoto. Do ask yourself: does the benefit of not-changing-lens outweighs the weight of a second body?

The second "body" which I will pick for my travel, will probably be a P&S (my powershot A650IS is doing fine in this area) instead of another bulky DSLR...

I really would love to enjoy my trip to the fullest, and carrying a 70-200mm is suicide.. For myself, I will bring a Tamron 18-270mm pzd and a UWA and thats it. dun wanna shorten my photography lifespan by breaking my back.

Thanks for your constructive comments and your concern for the weight and also the sarcasm of carrying a dry cabinet along. Firstly, it is not all that heavy, though sometimes I just feel sorry that some people even complain of the weight of the 24-70. Perhaps I fail to clarify, that on most trip, I will be in a vehicle and on foot for probably not more than an hour before proceeding on to another destination. So weight is not much of an issue just the ability to have quick change of focal length is vital.

I've done the crazy thing these guys mention, perhaps worse: 2 bodies, 5 lenses and carried all that bulk for a few hours. After that the shoulder hurts - cos I used the Crumpler 7Mdh. I only complained about the weight on the way back to the hotel.

But I got the shots I wanted and I used the lens/filters that I wanted to use only at the end of the journey.
Was it worth it? That all depends on you. In the end, the shot was appreciated by many and to me, that makes it worth while.

How many bodies or lenses you bring also depends on your fitness level and ability to take the weight. Some can, some can't.

As someone mentioned, if your priority is reach, then the 60/600D is a lighter option which you should consider, because the 7D is just as heavy as the 5D2. To me the 60D is a more appealing option just based on weight.

Last edited:
I suggest one camera set with 24-70mm and spend more time to composite your photos when you reach each destination. Make it WOW SHOTS instead many many shots, look original shots... my opinion..