Seaside kampong beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

kampongsmb9.jpg

C & C please!!! :D

Pic not sharp due to resizing. Too sleepy now to edit further.

Taken in Indonesia, Pulau Rempang, I think. Was a rest stop during my trip there.

a) contrast btw sea and sky is not there - need a bit of PS-work I suppose.
b) try to crop the wooden poles at right hand side - a bit distracting.
c) crop either the top or bottom bit - use the 'rule of thirds' thingy.

my $0.02 worth

You could try to bring out more details in the clouds since the ambient light is quite overcast.

Personally, I feel that there is a slight imbalance between the cloud position and the island, hinting at a "gap" formed between the kelong settlement and the island.

Do also try to crop away the messy details to the left of the first structure in the LH frame.

Hmm, that wooden stake/post in the foreground, could you show more of it?It seems cut off abruptly.

:) some of my two cents worth.

--- i try to keep my comment as close to how i felt .. directly at the photo as possible

Offen we stick to a few rule , bend a few in photography .. but stay on the path ..
sometime .. you got to be tough on yourself ..
i mean in way that you can enjoy .. " Trigger happy " is a illness . not all illness is bad ..

if i were there at the moment i would not had taken that shot .. -

WHY ..

let me see.. trying to find the words....
my fav way now seem to be comparing with Cooking whhaha this kinda comment is getting boring also whahah so i trying to give some color and taste to my comment ..

but here i go ..
there is some elelment in the shot that give color or taste
i hav ea habbit .. i alway prefer to be able to see what i eat .. so i don't like very dime candle light dinner .. unless.. whahhah

anyway
fropm what i saw from the shot .. i felt the lack of taster element .. is not spicy non is it ..sweet .. is felt like a dish cooked but forget one or two maybe even more of the much needed taste element ..

it got the recipe right . just maybe not enough sugar or salt or too little egg.. or too little this and that ..

in another words .. this is one of those moment i would just sit back .. and enjoy the view .
cos in the old days this would a be a shot wasting your expensive flim ..

osix uvlux

My zen version.

kampongsmb-zen.jpg

ZEN .. is a
very powerful yet .. undefined words.

what is ZEN

ZEN -- YING & yang . HIGH & low BLACK & white

RaNdOmNess

to decode ZEn would be like to discover yourself .. alot of the answer is within then the surrounding ..

Pardonme photobum .. here my comment on your version of ZEN ..

if you imagine a drop of water falling from a Leaf .. onto a green mossy stone by the stoney path that lead to a wooden hut ..isolated long ago .. the natural don't give up what it had it just blend it with itself and let time do the job ..

I felt the coversion is too dry .. it lack the kinda moist that is much needed to balance what is bring title as a ZEN version

good effort .

osix uvlux

I will like to know. For your own Zen version, how would you approach it.

I would not ..
it lack the element that i would call it Zen..

i do not alway find the right words for how i felt to express what i see..

Osix uvlux

got potential. idyll scene. Can do more to make the skies and reflections as dramatic as your icon: more contrast work, etc.

Uvlux said:
ZEN .. is a
very powerful yet .. undefined words.

what is ZEN

ZEN -- YING & yang . HIGH & low BLACK & white

RaNdOmNess

to decode ZEn would be like to discover yourself .. alot of the answer is within then the surrounding ..

Pardonme photobum .. here my comment on your version of ZEN ..

if you imagine a drop of water falling from a Leaf .. onto a green mossy stone by the stoney path that lead to a wooden hut ..isolated long ago .. the natural don't give up what it had it just blend it with itself and let time do the job ..

I felt the coversion is too dry .. it lack the kinda moist that is much needed to balance what is bring title as a ZEN version

good effort .

osix uvlux

FOS....

Different people see a scene differently (eye)
Different people interpret a scene differently (heart)

The challenge of photography is to translate what the heart sees, record it with photography for the eye to see, that matches what the heart see.

This is somewhat like what my heart sees:

kelong.jpg

redstone, please don't mind my messing around. The photo has lots of potential. But I personally don't feel that dramatism is the way to go. You've captured the pace of heart, the idyllic scene very well.

What is FOS ?

anyway - be it good or bad is not imporatnce really -
Like i said i am just sharing my view - don't get personal here

There is far too much people out there who own a camera and spend their time snaping shot -- and soon there call feed on their own ego of what is a good shot ..

every tom dick and harry can afford a camera nowaday ,
even small kids can press the button ..

there is no great secret to good shot .. just follow your feeling .. nobody is better or best as far as i see..
is just a matter of taste ... if you like grainy shot - there is nice ,, if you like flower then flower is nice .. if you lke blur tree roof then is nice .. or if you like random daily shot .. then is nice ..

but alway follow your heart .. notthing right notthing wrong .. at the end of the days .. seriously speaking .. who care ..

osix uvlux

redstone said:
Pic not sharp due to resizing. Too sleepy now to edit further.

HI redstone. mind finishing up your editing (IF any) before we can justify the comments.

yeah.
make some effort dude~

I think that is a kelong and not a seaside kampong.

It's a house built on pillars at the sea, connected to a house built on land ;)

I edited it, adjusted curves for the sky, but had this very very obvious line running along the border of the elected areas. I'm using Paint.NET. :(

Redstone, nice attempt.

The wooden stilts at the right have great potential to add accent to the picture. You could capitalize on it by making it the dominant foreground.

The shot tried to take everything in the frame, hence loosing the punch, zen, etc, what not.

Yes, some post processing work (with PS) is needed to work on the contrast and color tones.

Uvlux said:
What is FOS ?
FOS = Full Of Sh!t

horizon is in the centre. what im loathe to normally cite conventions, it just doesnt make this picture really stand out.

a closer shot of the kelong might have been the better shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.