Search word limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kodos

I think the current limit on searches to words of 4 letters or more is a bit of a problem for this problem, mainly since a lot of the camera models are only 3 letters long. I was trying to search for information on canon s30, but of course the model no is not big enough.

Unfortunately, we have limited resources in terms of RAM and CPU power, therefore we're unable to bring it down to 3 letters due to it taking too much cpu time. However, if you're willing to donate some ECC-Registered ram... I'm sure the 4 letter limit can be reworked. ;p

Hmm... I'm actually hoping for 2 chars :D You know... G2, G1, S1, D1 etc. If you don't mind sharing, what's the current config of the server?

:Later,

Originally posted by Richard
Unfortunately, we have limited resources in terms of RAM and CPU power, therefore we're unable to bring it down to 3 letters due to it taking too much cpu time. However, if you're willing to donate some ECC-Registered ram... I'm sure the 4 letter limit can be reworked. ;p

I can understand that & thought it might be the case.. thanks anyway :)

richard ? serious ?

is there an indexing service running ? or just a normal search throght the DB ?

There's an index. However, with the amount of searches going on, and to allocate resources for future expansion, we are very reluctant to open the search up to 3 letters and below for the moment.

Think adding * as a prefix or suffix will work.

Try! :) (Sorry richard! :D)

whao.. a *. That will really stress it. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.