Search for 28mm Compact

Status
Not open for further replies.

solstiz

Feb 26, 2006
:think: searching for a wide angle (28mm) camera... was pretty excited when i came across FX01 but slightly put off by the noise issues after reading reviews.... anyone has any other recommendation?

Kodak EasyShare V-570 is ultra wide angle at 23mm !

Kodak EasyShare P880 has wide angle zoom of 24-140mm.

Canon Powershot S80

28-100mm (3.6 x zoom), 8 mega pixel.

Nice quality camera.

Cheers :)

Pablo said:
Canon Powershot S80

28-100mm (3.6 x zoom), 8 mega pixel.

Nice quality camera.

Cheers :)
yup its a nice camera... no complains about it.. the higher ISOs quite usable, but no OIS compared to the FX01..

How's the quality of Panasonic LX1?
;) is all Panasonic cams grainy???

The Ricoh R4 does look quite OK in specs... will hunt down more reviews and sample:cool:

Fuji 9500, it starts with 28mm and I believe it is 10x zoom. Good noice at high ISO.

Thinking if I can buy those wide angle adapters for the Fuji F30, then it'll be a super-cam already.

:think: was at Alan Photo and came across wide angle adapters for P&S cams.... attached onto the camera by means of magnet.... are these any good? Does it affect the picture quality???

solstiz said:
:think: was at Alan Photo and came across wide angle adapters for P&S cams.... attached onto the camera by means of magnet.... are these any good? Does it affect the picture quality???
It does degrade picture quality in some way. By adding adapters, you add more groups and elements to the whole lens construction, making CA and softness more vulnerable.

imouyang said:
It does degrade picture quality in some way. By adding adapters, you add more groups and elements to the whole lens construction, making CA and softness more vulnerable.
But if there's one ultimate combo for the F30, it will be a winner already. Anyone hav any suggestion? I'm new to TCs on compacts.

I like the Panasonic LX1, noise control is quite good up to iso 400. It still is capable of usable pictures at higher iso levels but really shines at 400 or below. Nice useful focal length and I also like the 16:9 panoramic mode. It is going for an affordable $700 odd now, sometimes packaged with a memory card.

The hunt is over... got FX01 (black) tis morning...;p

was really torn apart the the choices... LX1 was so tempting and S80 too with underwater housing! But i decided to stick to my objective of getting a pocket size cam... wldn't want my Oly cam and housing collect dust....

the toughest part is between Ricoh R4 and FX01... :think: the R4 definately has better noise control... 1cm macro and 4x zoom... no prob shooting with one hand... but wat swayed me to the FX01 was tat the flash on the R4 is pretty weak... the build and design (practical) of the R4 is a turn off too!
  1. The flash is placed at a position tat will be block by fingers gripping the unit :nono:
  2. The body is not as solid build
  3. The USB and AV port is exposed! Definately a minus point considering dust and occasionally water spray is common when I shoot... as these ports are position at where the palm is resting.. my sweaty plam will very soon flood the ports :sweat:

Well... guess I'll be spending time removing noises with Noise Ninja and Photoshop...:sticktong

Does the absence of an IS on the F30 makes it a "lesser" camera than the FX-01?

Was keen on the FX till I read reviews on it.

Other cameras that I looked at were the Pana TZ1 and Sony T30 (churns out decent photos, surprisingly, and great batt life to boot.)

But if your FX01 experience is gd, I might have a change of heart.

The camera is for my wife so compact (TZ got shot down becos of that)is a must and she is a strictly P&S.

xD card & lack of IS counted against the F30 for me.

Looking fwd to your pics!

PS: first post...

sabian said:
Does the absence of an IS on the F30 makes it a "lesser" camera than the FX-01?

Was keen on the FX till I read reviews on it.

Other cameras that I looked at were the Pana TZ1 and Sony T30 (churns out decent photos, surprisingly, and great batt life to boot.)

But if your FX01 experience is gd, I might have a change of heart.

The camera is for my wife so compact (TZ got shot down becos of that)is a must and she is a strictly P&S.

xD card & lack of IS counted against the F30 for me.

Looking fwd to your pics!

PS: first post...
Welcome to Clubsnap~!

i was choosing btwn the olmypus 7070 and the ricoh GR some time back and got the 7070...big mistake. the AF is horrible.

ricoh has a few other option i think but do check out the high iso noise...some really bad. but GR is ok.

other than that,

canon s70, the obseleted one and the s80, the interfae is superb on e s80.

nikon 8400, used to be quite ex... think its much cheaper liao and goes to 24mm!

panasonic/leica has the lx1, and panasonic has come out w another cam w 28mm, just that noise level not as pleasing.

ricoh has the GR and R4

anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.