SEAL issue with PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR?

newperson

Jun 8, 2005
Hi guys,

Post to update some "finding" we had today, as my friend is looking to get 18-135WR.... she is worry 18-135WR also have this problem.

This morning, we were in the pool and having fun.
Since my friend using K7 and this lens are both WR, so she was taking photo in the pool while having fun.

Later when having meal she check the lens..... OMG, water is trap inside the lens...
how can it be?
yap, they splash water at her..... but how can a WR lens be that "weakly" seal.......?

SEAL issue with PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR? - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

SEAL issue with PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR? - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries

Looks and sounds like a bad case of QC issues.

That's why I always advocate, if your WR kits are under warranty, hose them down after every single use.. DAILY if needed!

This allows user to sieve out problematic QC issues and at the same time, kind of provide a practical feedback to Pentax.

Better to keep sending back your kits for replacement while under warranty or risk bearing the cost when you find out of the "faulty" seals just after warranty over. ;)

iPhone style, keep forcing them to issue out a "new" replacement.

bad luck + bad seals + too much water i suppose. :dunno:

i've used my 18-55wr and dfa100wr in the same situation before without problems.

.....dunk the lens in water tumbler to test the WR .....then buy if no water seepage ......;))

.....dunk the lens in water tumbler to test the WR .....then buy if no water seepage ......;))

Cannot dunk/submerge la.. Not waterproof, rather, weatherproof or splashproof.. ;)

The WR lenses have only basic weather sealing. The only properly weather sealed lenses are the DA*s. I would never dare to expose WR lenses to anything more than light rain.

Hm...noted.
that means only DA* will be recommended for such use....

Ya, sort of agree ..... how can expect a $200++ lens to be sealed all in out.

But here got a bro, 18-55 survived the same environment ......

Maybe really bad luck for her......
will get her to read up warranty term for 18-135WR before get it.

Hm......

One thing got to highlight, k7 no problem.
even the rear end of the lens no problem...
all are bone dry, except the lens front portion ...seems there are sandwich of 2 glasses, thus water trap there.

The WR lenses have only basic weather sealing. The only properly weather sealed lenses are the DA*s. I would never dare to expose WR lenses to anything more than light rain.

I've used my 18-55 WR in conditions described by TS many times.

I'd say that his friend got a bad copy or somehow the seal integrity was compromised.

I've used my 18-55 WR in conditions described by TS many times.

I'd say that his friend got a bad copy or somehow the seal integrity was compromised.

Exactly... Point to note, it doesn't matter whether it's DA* or not. Perhaps best to check the terms and condition for the supposedly different level of sealing across the range.

If it doesn't state anything on any differences, other than no submerging, then just keep washing the kit and keep returning for better copies. If not, you only happen to discover later on after warranty period, that's too bad..

Tip of the day: Hose down your WR combo everyday! ;)

Hm...noted.
that means only DA* will be recommended for such use....

Ya, sort of agree ..... how can expect a $200++ lens to be sealed all in out.

But here got a bro, 18-55 survived the same environment ......

Maybe really bad luck for her......
will get her to read up warranty term for 18-135WR before get it.

Hm......

All things considered, if its no longer covered by warranty, just get a new copy. the 50-200 is so cheap anyway.

or switch to the 18-135 if budget is not a problem for your friend.

the only da* lenses with that is in that focal range is the 50-135 or the 60-250 and they're much bigger! how to bring to swimming pool :p

Exactly... Point to note, it doesn't matter whether it's DA* or not. Perhaps best to check the terms and condition for the supposedly different level of sealing across the range.

If it doesn't state anything on any differences, other than no submerging, then just keep washing the kit and keep returning for better copies. If not, you only happen to discover later on after warranty period, that's too bad..

Tip of the day: Hose down your WR combo everyday! ;)

agree, will check out e-offer warranty condition and return policy/duration...
may get her to buy 18-135WR and test for her :)

All things considered, if its no longer covered by warranty, just get a new copy. the 50-200 is so cheap anyway.

or switch to the 18-135 if budget is not a problem for your friend.

the only da* lenses with that is in that focal range is the 50-135 or the 60-250 and they're much bigger! how to bring to swimming pool :p

ya lor, may be act of god telling her to change to 18-135.
since she always dreaming of that...
I can also test for her it's WR :)

if good, i buy too :)

There is this guy over the other forum that has a leaking front element on his 18-55WR. I think OT's friend may have the same problem...basically there is a 'sticky tape'(?) seal between the front lens element and the filter thread plastic ring. The seal may not be sticky enough and thus failed to keep out the moisture.

Have a good read...DA18-55mm WR failed but I get to have LBA: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There is this guy over the other forum that has a leaking front element on his 18-55WR. I think OT's friend may have the same problem...basically there is a 'sticky tape'(?) seal between the front lens element and the filter thread plastic ring. The seal may not be sticky enough and thus failed to keep out the moisture.

Have a good read...DA18-55mm WR failed but I get to have LBA: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thks sbc for the link.

it seems exactly like the case here:
1. front element got water trap
2. focus to infinity not good. (actually she had told me that and I was thinking may be our eye got issue or we are too demanding)

btw, had wrote to apds on this.
They reply and now is confirming the cost for failure analysis before proceed with it. (am interesting to know what cause this to fail, but not to repair it)

We had checked, CP selling this lens at 250 only. but mostly likely will be going for 18-135 but first have to know what cause WR to fail.....

P.S. she pass me the lens to play with, was thinking if no reply from apds etc.
I shall "dismember" this lens to explore wats WR all about :)

Will update again....

TK Foto sold me one for S$203, just for your info...
APD do not repair lenses here, so I hope Pentax Japan will repair it under warranty. If not you can have a little fun disassembling it. It not that hard. The difficult part is the re-assembly. Let me know if you want to sell that lens to me cheap. I want to 'play' with it.

TK Foto sold me one for S$203, just for your info...
APD do not repair lenses here, so I hope Pentax Japan will repair it under warranty. If not you can have a little fun disassembling it. It not that hard. The difficult part is the re-assembly. Let me know if you want to sell that lens to me cheap. I want to 'play' with it.

APD got the best lens/camera repair guy already, you sure they don't repair lenses here?

That was what I was told in the past, maybe things have changed.

Great , monday im going down.
they will waiver all evaluation charges.
lets evaluation their services.