Seagate USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharma

Jan 17, 2006
I want to get a portable hard disk. I saw one which interest me.
Seagate USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive . Has anyone use it?
It has 100gigs. And just plug in to computer via Usb. I think its kinda cool..
What u all think? :confused:

dharma said:
I want to get a portable hard disk. I saw one which interest me.
Seagate USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive . Has anyone use it?
It has 100gigs. And just plug in to computer via Usb. I think its kinda cool..
What u all think? :confused:

i have the 160 Gig version and its great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Where do you buy it from and how much?

Oops.. are we talking the same model? The one I saw is just connect usb to the computer... I checked for 100gb the price is $359. This Seagate you don't have to buy another casing...is already in one package..
I know the one I am talking about also have 160 gb..

why not consider the the DIYs.
I went a few days ago with the intention of getting a iomega external HD too. Checked out the seagate external also, but it was in the region of $300+ for a 200GB one.
So, walk walk around, decided to get a DIY instead. Same 200GB with standing case, it costed mi less than $250. For this DIY kit, i am also using seagate HD with 5 yr warranty. Formatting only took about 5min.
To me, getting the DIY made more economical sense since i am paying less for each GB ;p

Ren_Hao said:
why not consider the the DIYs.
I went a few days ago with the intention of getting a iomega external HD too. Checked out the seagate external also, but it was in the region of $300+ for a 200GB one.
So, walk walk around, decided to get a DIY instead. Same 200GB with standing case, it costed mi less than $250. For this DIY kit, i am also using seagate HD with 5 yr warranty. Formatting only took about 5min.
To me, getting the DIY made more economical sense since i am paying less for each GB ;p
Interesting. my pc harddisk crashed with errors & I got problems reinstalling windows. Considering getting a new harddisk to replace temporarily before getting replacement laptop in Mar 06. If DIY, can change to portable later.

How do you DIY?

If hard disk + casing is much cheaper..
I saw that Seagate just interest me coz you don't need extra cable to plugin to switch.. Just simply connect to usb..:D

dharma said:
If hard disk + casing is much cheaper..
I saw that Seagate just interest me coz you don't need extra cable to plugin to switch.. Just simply connect to usb..:D

for 3.5" HD, it is near impossible for a laptop usb to supply enough power to drive it. If u are using a regular desktop, i think a single usb plug should be enough. If u use 2.5" HD, than it is possible to run the HD with only 1 usb plug. But 3.5"HD cases should come with power cable for u to connect to the normal power socket, than u only need to connect the HD via a usb cable to your computer.

How to DIY......
Quite simple.
Step 1: Get a harddisk
Step 2: Get a case
Step 3: Put the harddisk into the case, aka assemble
Step 4: Format your new harddisk
Step 5: HD ready for use. ;p

Its not 3.5" ... The size is pretty compact.. 2.5" my guess..

yup, just went to fulwell to get smartdrive casing, and seagate 160gb 3.5" hdd total cost about $210. but its super heavy compared to my prestigo 60gb hdd. Never mind, I only use for backup. Quite easy to fix up too. Thanks.

Went to Fuwell they don't have this model... The shop I went called ATF in Sim Lim..

dharma said:
Its not 3.5" ... The size is pretty compact.. 2.5" my guess..

i don think its 2.5" becos the 1st 160GB 2.5" is just out in the market (around 1 week only)... they used a differnet way to store the data. normal 2.5" hd could only reach 120GB so far

don't get the 3.5" HD USB 2.0 if you can help it you would need a power supply to boost it.
get 2.5" or 1.8" instead.

Tx, but I think the 2.5" its pretty compact ..This one no need power supply ..just connect via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.