Seagate Micro Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtan24

Dec 21, 2005
Tampines
Has anyone used the Seagate 8GB micro dirves. Price wise it sound pretty good.

yes bro i'm using one

eow said:
yes bro i'm using one

How the performance? I know Challanger is selling it for SGD300 plus.

smtan24 said:
How the performance? I know Challanger is selling it for SGD300 plus.
If u not into burst n raw.
the large capacity is a plus

Generally slower than most high speed CF card, tend to eat more batteries, take longer time to format, slower to boot (start), but indeed cheap, you can probably get much cheaper price in B&S.

Stability wise, happen one time cannot read from CF card reader, but OK from camera, twice cannot write to cards but after reboot/format then ok :confused: , sometime not sure it's camera or Micro Drive problem, as it happen in CF card before also :think: .

The large capacity safe me quite a few time which I wouldn't have enough space for storage, especially during travel.

zcf said:
Generally slower than most high speed CF card, tend to eat more batteries, take longer time to format, slower to boot (start), but indeed cheap, you can probably get much cheaper price in B&S.

Stability wise, happen one time cannot read from CF card reader, but OK from camera, twice cannot write to cards but after reboot/format then ok :confused: , sometime not sure it's camera or Micro Drive problem, as it happen in CF card before also :think: .

The large capacity safe me quite a few time which I wouldn't have enough space for storage, especially during travel.

Kinda scary right? What if it happens in the middle of a shoot? :dunno: Solid state memory still works for me... ;)

Adiemus said:
Kinda scary right? What if it happens in the middle of a shoot? :dunno: Solid state memory still works for me... ;)
True...

It is better 8x1GB than 1x8GB...

Regards,
Arto.

I guess it's not worth buying it due to the reliablility problems. I was hoping to get one and set my camera to raw only. Thanks

hello,

It does suck battery juice quickly. You will defintely notice the diff. But if you have spare batteries then not so much of an issue. I reckon about 1/3 higher consumption at least.

smtan24 said:
Has anyone used the Seagate 8GB micro dirves. Price wise it sound pretty good.

Not to mention how fragile it is. OK, CF and MD also can broke if drop. But, looks like MD is more fragile since it have mechanical/moving parts inside. CF is solid state component.

Regards,
Arto.

Adiemus said:
But it happen to me on Solid state memory as well :confused: Just that not as frequent, or may be that's isolated incident? So can't confirm.

Artosoft said:
True...

It is better 8x1GB than 1x8GB...

Regards,
Arto.
I shoot RAW+JPG most of the time, and 1GByte CF card can shoot about 80 photos only, too inconvenient for me to keep changing (e.g. fashion show/events) and 8x CF card can be quite thick :sweat:
Given the increasing Mpixels count, higher capacity CF card will be more future-prove.

zcf said:
I shoot RAW+JPG most of the time, and 1GByte CF card can shoot about 80 photos only, too inconvenient for me to keep changing (e.g. fashion show/events) and 8x CF card can be quite thick :sweat:
Given the increasing Mpixels count, higher capacity CF card will be more future-prove.
Too bad you are using KM. If you use nikon, you can use PreviewExtractor. PC program to extract JPG from RAW in a seconds. So, only shoot in RAW. Well, Nikon D70s can get about 165 photos (RAW) in single 1GB CF anyway...

Regards,
Arto.

The MD is value for money, no doubt. however, it has its downside: batt consuming, stablility issue, slow write speed. well, as it says, u pay peanuts u get monkeys :) hahah...

frankly speaking, i am using the 4Gb myself. not much problem at all. i shoot in jpeg most of the time and use single shot. so no problem for me. the only thing which i dun like is that it sucks my batt pretty fast... need to standby batts esp on overseas trip.

i would go for 2X2GB. Kingston one elite pro 50x selling for 82 i think at best bargain.

zcwnfx said:
i would go for 2X2GB. Kingston one elite pro 50x selling for 82 i think at best bargain.

I heard some users complaining on the Kingston elite pro.

smtan24 said:
So far no problem with me (touch wood)... Not a single problem.

Regards,
Arto.

smtan24 said:
That may be specific KM issue only :sweat: Other brand don't seem to affected. But since you own KM 5D....:sweat:

zcf said:
That may be specific KM issue only :sweat: Other brand don't seem to affected. But since you own KM 5D....:sweat:

Just checked the Kingston webpage. It seems Kingston elite pro 1GB is compatable with Dynax 5D & 7D. The 2GB are not rated by Kingston so I assume is not compatable.

smtan24 said:
Just checked the Kingston webpage. It seems Kingston elite pro 1GB is compatable with Dynax 5D & 7D. The 2GB are not rated by Kingston so I assume is not compatable.
It's not serious compatibility issue, it just painfully slow, seem to be even slower than Micro Drive..... as show in the link for CF card test speed KM 5&7D.
http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp
If it's as fast as other brand, given it cheap and lifetime warranty, it's a good buy, but not for KM user.

I'm using a lexar 1G and the normal Kingston 1GB so far no problem. Hopefully this will still be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.