Seagate 5GB HDD (CF Type 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstorm

Oct 29, 2002
Hougang
Visit site
News just hot from the oven courtesy of dpreview.

seagatemd.jpg

"Seagate has announced it is to produce a 5 GB HDD in the CF Type II form factor, although they can't use the name 'Microdrive' that is essentially what this device is. Details at this point are a little thin on the ground, the metal cased device will be available in 2.5 GB and 5 GB capacities, it has a rotational speed of 3600 RPM and features 'RunOn' technology which appears to be a buffering system which avoids data loss if the unit is knocked or vibrated in use. Seagate will also be producing a 'built in' version of the device which is designed to be hardwired into devices such as MP3 players or PDA's."

abt time! i hope more of such products will flood the market soon, and then drive the prices down. gawd.... 1 4GB MD goes for $1000+ (lexar at eastgear).... i can buy another 300D with that price.

wonder if someone will bring this in soon? also, wonder if any companies will make a fast speed MD?? :think:

Yup, its got more buffers than the usual microdrive and its more resistance to shocks and knocks. ;) Lets hope to see this in a muvo type device priced nicely. :D

Zplus said:
Yup, its got more buffers than the usual microdrive and its more resistance to shocks and knocks. ;) Lets hope to see this in a muvo type device priced nicely. :D

then we strip it for the MD?? :D

Zplus said:

I wonder whether Creative will make it so easy this time... :think:

imaginary_number said:
I wonder whether Creative will make it so easy this time... :think:

I don't think so. I heard u can't remove the microdrive from the latest batch of Muvo2.

redstorm said:
I don't think so. I heard u can't remove the microdrive from the latest batch of Muvo2.

yep. mentioned in last sun's straits times... sigh... if i were them, i'll just sell the muvo2 as it is. at least got crowds buying them mah. by locking the CF function, they are killing their own mkt. at $400+ for a muvo2, i might as well wait for the mini iPod, which costs a bit more and looks a hell lot cooler! (okie, it might have a smaller storage, but who cares since it looks damn cool!)

nightwolf75 said:
yep. mentioned in last sun's straits times... sigh... if i were them, i'll just sell the muvo2 as it is. at least got crowds buying them mah. by locking the CF function, they are killing their own mkt. at $400+ for a muvo2, i might as well wait for the mini iPod, which costs a bit more and looks a hell lot cooler! (okie, it might have a smaller storage, but who cares since it looks damn cool!)

Agreed. Afterall, Creative, like any companies, are only interested in good sales and ultimately higher profit. So why kill it off which will defintely result in lower sales. If Creatives wants pple to buy the Muvo because it's a good MP3 player and not to remove the microdrive, I doubt it's attractive to buyers as competitors offer better looking and sounding players.

At the next CWS, I am sure they are going to have alot of Muvo2 4gb for sale :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
no point, if they locked the CF functions. :dunno:

Since they wont be able to sell it anywhere. So might as well try sell some at their CWS. :bsmilie:

Personally, I think Creative better stop producing Muvo2 since demand will spiral downwards. Photograhers will not buy anymore muvo2 since the md will not work on digital cameras. MP3 users will opt to get mini ipod. So who else is going to buy creative muvo2? :dunno:

SFFMadness said:
Since they wont be able to sell it anywhere. So might as well try sell some at their CWS. :bsmilie:

Personally, I think Creative better stop producing Muvo2 since demand will spiral downwards. Photograhers will not buy anymore muvo2 since the md will not work on digital cameras. MP3 users will opt to get mini ipod. So who else is going to buy creative muvo2? :dunno:

precisely! i sometimes think its photogs like us who are driving the sales. :bsmilie:

wonder if any creative people are listening to us! :think:

nightwolf75 said:
precisely! i sometimes think its photogs like us who are driving the sales. :bsmilie:

wonder if any creative people are listening to us! :think:

i heard the muvo square with fm will be using the 5gb seagate drive!!

nightwolf75 said:
no point, if they locked the CF functions. :dunno:

I saw somewhere in the internet (can't recall where now) that someone had tried kind of switching the harddisk jumper to make it work again despite the Creative counter measure ... :dunno:

redstorm said:
Agreed. Afterall, Creative, like any companies, are only interested in good sales and ultimately higher profit. So why kill it off which will defintely result in lower sales. If Creatives wants pple to buy the Muvo because it's a good MP3 player and not to remove the microdrive, I doubt it's attractive to buyers as competitors offer better looking and sounding players.

I get a feeling it may be Hitachi who are driving the change, after all, they were the big losers in the equation....

I have a couple of the 5gb seagate microdrives. on my sony f828 i find that taking a raw image takes 14 seconds instead of 13.5 with the hitachi ones. dunno if the speed will improve later when it is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.