Sea View

pckbjjhj

Aug 2, 2010
39100_425429907430_582722430_4651241_6413689_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Is the lighting and composition good?
- Areas of improvement

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- To let people appreciate the beauty of the nature.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- Trying to take advantage of good lighting (sun set).

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- Smooth and calm feeling.

Thanks

trying to expose for those white clouds/ blue sky and the sea under the given conditions is going to be difficult (dynamic range or EVs too wide for most cams to capture )

I'd suggest you make a decision......expose for the sky/clouds or foreground and adjust the composition accordingly

its a good idea using the palm /coconut leaves to frame the image but the way you executed it seems messy and the horizon getting in the way did not help... the framing feels half-done

Just my personal opinion...... get MUCH lower to get the horizon out of the way (IF u feel its in the way) , include as much of those palm leaves and maybe even trunks while metering for the clouds ?

and if its near Changi Airport , throw in a landing plane if possible :bsmilie:

best of luck !! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the comments and I'll take note of my shortcomings! :)

Hi everyone,

Please keep the comments coming..

Good comments or area of improvements are welcome!

Thanks! :)

It is better to have a subject in it, even for landscape.

You may wana use GND to hold back the sky a bit to prevent over exposing and loosing details.

Also I think revealing more details in the darker areas will enhance the content.

The upper right hand corner is relatively dark, looks like vignetting.

It is better to have a subject in it, even for landscape.

You may wana use GND to hold back the sky a bit to prevent over exposing and loosing details.

Also I think revealing more details in the darker areas will enhance the content.

The upper right hand corner is relatively dark, looks like vignetting.
Hi motionstills,

Thanks for your comments!

You might want to look at the landscape photos for some inspiration.

Although in a photo, we talk about things like foreground and background, the palm trees in the foreground here seems a bit "abrupt." And hence, it acted more like a distraction and doesn't support that "calm feeling."

You might to stand back, get a wider view of the sea and include the entire palm trees :)

You might want to look at the landscape photos for some inspiration.

Although in a photo, we talk about things like foreground and background, the palm trees in the foreground here seems a bit "abrupt." And hence, it acted more like a distraction and doesn't support that "calm feeling."

You might to stand back, get a wider view of the sea and include the entire palm trees :)
Hi gymak90,

Thanks for your comments! Will practice more to improve my skills :)

This view cannot make it. You have part of a coconut tree on the lower left corner, and another part of another coconut tree on the lower right corner... Sky is a little blow, and the clouds not very interesting. The view of the sea is very limited.

Overall very very very weak composition. More thought needs happen before you hit the shutter. Maybe going down to the beach will give you a better view.

First impression is the photo seems plain. It feels like there isn't any subject and some sort of a snapshot. Mostly such shot are taken with filters or heavy post process to bring out certain effects.