Sea of clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsky

Jul 28, 2008
Yishun
Took this photo during my Taiwan trip. We woke up 3am in the morning to travel 2 hours for the famous sunrise at Alishan. The was a lucky view for us. According to the local guide, sea of clouds was very rarely formed. It only happen 60 days in one year more often in Autumn. We reached there about 5am, the surrounding was still very dark. Expousre f9, 1/10s, ISO100, tripod. Would like comments on
1. Composition (I cropped off the bottom a little).
2. Exposure
3. I actually took 3 shots with ev-2, 0 +2, will HDR helps? Do u think leaving the tree and ground dark as siholutte better?

Thanks for viewing.
DSC_9912.jpg

I also posted the rest of the photos here, please feel free to visit, thanks.

Last edited:
Nicely shot, which part of taiwan was this taken? Compo is nice and clean, not into hdr so maybe those who know better can comment, would say leaving the foreground in silholutte is better in my opnion as it complements with the distance mountains and whole picture overall leaving viewers to concentrate on the layers of clouds, mountains and the spectrum of light behind.

Nicely shot, which part of taiwan was this taken? Compo is nice and clean, not into hdr so maybe those who know better can comment, would say leaving the foreground in silholutte is better in my opnion as it complements with the distance mountains and whole picture overall leaving viewers to concentrate on the layers of clouds, mountains and the spectrum of light behind.

Thanks, lifepursuer, it was taken at Alishan. We woke up at 3am for sunrise shot. This was before the sunrise.

I agree with lifepursuer - the lack of detail in the foreground, especially of the trees, provides a good contrast with the gentle gradient of the sky.

excellent - it makes me wonder whether I should have made the effort to wake up for the sunrise when I was in Alishan last year ;)

good photo. the composition is okay. but try boosting the saturation up a lil'. and contrast. cos IMHO, the photo is a lil' dull (just a lil'). and take note of the dust at the top left corner.

I agree with lifepursuer - the lack of detail in the foreground, especially of the trees, provides a good contrast with the gentle gradient of the sky.

excellent - it makes me wonder whether I should have made the effort to wake up for the sunrise when I was in Alishan last year ;)

Thanks, cflee. I was there for two days, the local guide suggested me to go for the sunrise trip at YuShan the first day, according to him, the location is the best for that day. He tried to persuade me for sunrise trip at ZhuShan the next day but I was too tired to go, and it is not easy for my six year old kid to wake up so early too. :)

good photo. the composition is okay. but try boosting the saturation up a lil'. and contrast. cos IMHO, the photo is a lil' dull (just a lil'). and take note of the dust at the top left corner.

I also feel that something is wrong with this photo, try to boost up the saturation, think looks better now, dusk speck removed.

Hi Mod,
I put up the modified photo after recommendation by HTCahHTC for comparison, if it is not ok please let me know, I will remove it immediately. Thanks

DSC_99126.jpg

Last edited:
I also feel that something is wrong with this photo, try to boost up the saturation, think looks better now, dusk speck removed.
[/IMG]

haha. you can't say 'think looks better now.' does the photo look more appealing to you now? you must like the photo in order to persuade others to like it. i find it much much better after you PP it.

haha. you can't say 'think looks better now.' does the photo look more appealing to you now? you must like the photo in order to persuade others to like it. i find it much much better after you PP it.

Ha ha thanks:)

I think I know what you find 'wrong' with the image - the horizon. It's slanted, and that makes it look wrong.

I think I know what you find 'wrong' with the image - the horizon. It's slanted, and that makes it look wrong.

Thanks calebk, please pardon me as newbie, is the horizon = red thin line looks more nature? Cause I am using the tree as vertical line to judge whether it is tilted or not.

I second that.

Thanks calebk, please pardon me as newbie, is the horizon = red thin line looks more nature? Cause I am using the tree as vertical line to judge whether it is tilted or not.

The horizon refers to yes, the red line. What calebk was trying to tell you is probably that you should correct the tilt, such that the red line is horizontal. Trees don't have to grow straight anyway.

Thanks, now I understand. Replaced the 2nd photo for comparison. Thanks for teaching.:)

Last edited:
the 2nd photo does look better, but i feel the horizon is too in the middle.

wrong angle... now it still dun look straight cos the clouds is causing the mind to think its not straight... and the horizon line is too contrasting, a smoother blend will be better than having something like band lines.

the 2nd photo does look better, but i feel the horizon is too in the middle.

wrong angle... now it still dun look straight cos the clouds is causing the mind to think its not straight... and the horizon line is too contrasting, a smoother blend will be better than having something like band lines.

Thanks, please pardon me, does lowering the contrast and keeping the saturation in this case help, I am not so good in PS.

Last edited:

Thanks, please pardon me, does lowering the contrast and keeping the saturation in this case help, I am not so good in PS.

no lar, i mean the position of the horizon is too middle, not referring to the color.:sweatsm::embrass:

i prefer the first pic..

but watch the tilt of the horizon (and yes.. trees doesn't have to grow straight up but horizon will always have to be HORIZONtal ^_^)

no lar, i mean the position of the horizon is too middle, not referring to the color.:sweatsm::embrass:

Do u think I can afford to crop some more the bottom, because after adjusting the tilt and crop off the blank part, the horizon seem to adjusted to the middle, thanks for teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.