SEA Games Fireworks

Nitewalk,

Thanks for sharing.

I have 2 enquires for this 2015 Sea Games fireworks for those taken the fireworks.

1) Am I the only who feel the exposure time to have a sharp firework around 1 sec, but not than 2 sec even for aperture setting at F8 or smaller to F11?

2) Anyone know whether firework in the closing ceremory and the schedule time?

Thank You
EisMann

Just helping answer some questions as I think the boss won't be back in time to answer your questions ;p

1) In my experience I usually take fireworks in bulb mode and vary the shutter speed according to the duration of the fireworks burst. I try to catch it when it just fires and close the shutter after it has burst, before the next burst comes in so the fireworks are not all stacked together. For the main fireworks of the opening ceremony my shutter speed varied between 4-10 seconds. I find if the shutter speed is too short the fireworks can be cut off.
(However I also do blending/compositing of images where I blend the fireworks onto a base image exposed for the background, so my main aim is to capture the individual fireworks. Your priorities will vary according to which method want to employ)

2) No idea. However I suggest you check the 'Exhibitions & Events' section of this forum (where I posted my timings for the Opening Ceremony fireworks). This section is for people to share their shots, they may or may not post their timings here

Just helping answer some questions as I think the boss won't be back in time to answer your questions ;p

1) In my experience I usually take fireworks in bulb mode and vary the shutter speed according to the duration of the fireworks burst. I try to catch it when it just fires and close the shutter after it has burst, before the next burst comes in so the fireworks are not all stacked together. For the main fireworks of the opening ceremony my shutter speed varied between 4-10 seconds. I find if the shutter speed is too short the fireworks can be cut off.
(However I also do blending/compositing of images where I blend the fireworks onto a base image exposed for the background, so my main aim is to capture the individual fireworks. Your priorities will vary according to which method want to employ)

2) No idea. However I suggest you check the 'Exhibitions & Events' section of this forum (where I posted my timings for the Opening Ceremony fireworks). This section is for people to share their shots, they may or may not post their timings here

Thanks for helping me to answer!

To add on, I think one can safely set a fixed shutter speed also. Can consider between 3.2s to 5 sec. I think that should give enough time for the fireworks to 'open up'. I don't think there will be 'motion blur' associated with a longer exposure, since it just go off for a moment. I would think people are thinking of whether it will be 'clear' enough. In that case, i think the base layer is quite important imho. If your blue hour is too light, it may look less contrasty (not 'clear' enough) so I would lean more towards a darker shade of blue sky (completely black isn't very nice as well). Hope that helps!

Hi, it will be good if you start your own thread to post your photos and share with us? :D

Here is where I share my shots, so it is clearer for people to view :) Thanks

Sorry, I will remove it. Can you help to delete your reply with my photo in your quote?( I can't remove it)

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me to answer!

To add on, I think one can safely set a fixed shutter speed also. Can consider between 3.2s to 5 sec. I think that should give enough time for the fireworks to 'open up'. I don't think there will be 'motion blur' associated with a longer exposure, since it just go off for a moment. I would think people are thinking of whether it will be 'clear' enough. In that case, i think the base layer is quite important imho. If your blue hour is too light, it may look less contrasty (not 'clear' enough) so I would lean more towards a darker shade of blue sky (completely black isn't very nice as well). Hope that helps!

No problem, I was just kaypoh thought you went overseas already hehe...

Enjoy your trip!

thoongeng, nitewalk,

Thanks for the replies.

I was very tied up with work (nope I did not go down for the closing ceremony fireworks)

Will post photos later this Sat taken at 1 sec & more than 2 sec to show the difference of sharpness.
Nothing to shout at. Just for learning purpose.

Thank You
EisMann