SEA Aquarium Lens Recommendation

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
Anyone have been to the relatively new SEA aquarium in Sentosa? Need advice on What focal length to bring that will be useful. Never been there before and dun wanna carry all the lens.

Anyone have been to the relatively new SEA aquarium in Sentosa? Need advice on What focal length to bring that will be useful. Never been there before and dun wanna carry all the lens.

Bring the fastest lens that you have a CPL filter for - your enemies are low light and reflection in the glass.

Last edited:
And..you should at least say what lenses you have? Else...everybody will have different lens in mind and if you dont have that. You going to buy ? :dunno:

Bring the fastest lens that you have a CPL filter for - your enemies are low light and reflection in the glass.

Don't forget - a CPL acts as a 2-stop ND.

Will bringing an led video light help ?

Will bringing an led video light help ?

...to a dark, underground aquarium? I hope you get kicked out for disturbing everyone else with your LED lights. :p

Rashkae said:
...to a dark, underground aquarium? I hope you get kicked out for disturbing everyone else with your LED lights. :p

Besides that, all you get is a bright reflection in the glass.

How about just going there and enjoying yourself?

I was there last week. I brought my Nik D7k, Sig 17-50 f2.8 with CPL and test my new SB-700. It was my first time I use a flash (my SB-700), of course I had a lot of light reflection on the aquarium glass - I just have to take them out on PP. I think you should bring a wide angle lens.

I end up using my iPhone when I was at the Aquarium. Nothing much to shoot when the glass wall is so thick!

I have 10 lenses. Mainly 2.8 n 1.4 so I am well covered. I suspected that i need CPL filter so thanks for confirming that.
I need to know What focal length are feasible. Is above 70mm too long? Is 14-24 too wide, ....is 105 macro useful? Plan to only bring 2 lens.

I have 10 lenses. Mainly 2.8 n 1.4 so I am well covered. I suspected that i need CPL filter so thanks for confirming that.
I need to know What focal length are feasible. Is above 70mm too long? Is 14-24 too wide, ....is 105 macro useful? Plan to only bring 2 lens.

All can be used.

All are for the same purpose. To gather light and give you a image. What is feasible depends what kind of shots you want. Seriously, if u have 10 lenses...and you still not sure which is used for what? or what they can do for you? If you have totally no idea? Just bring what you think you need..(if not..you can always visit the second time. If not. then bring all 10). The most generic answer would be. Bring a wide angle and a telephoto lens. There.. 2 lens.

Last edited:
If I may add... bring a macro lens (90mm or 100mm) to get close in on some of the fishes... that is what I would bring.

You don't need flash or LED lights, the tanks are more than sufficiently lit!

Check out this album, all shot using ambient light ---> S.E.A. Aquarium by SQ Photography

I used 35mm, 100L and 135L, alternatively 24-70 & 70-200 should do the job too.

Most important thing, remember to align your camera angle perpendicular to the glass to avoid severe optical diffraction (basically blur, distorted images).

I m not a newbie I know how to use my lens but I just want to know the feasible focal length. I can bring 400mm but if the space is too tight so what's the point? I can bring 14 mm but if 35 mm is enough then it will be too wide. I just want to know a usable focal length. I am using full frame and my body can go ISO 3200 with acceptable noise control. I am traveling a bit so might not got chance to go the aquarium often so I just want to make 1 trip n bring Max 2 lens. Is that so difficult to ask?

I m not a newbie I know how to use my lens but I just want to know the feasible focal length. I can bring 400mm but if the space is too tight so what's the point? I can bring 14 mm but if 35 mm is enough then it will be too wide. I just want to know a usable focal length. I am using full frame and my body can go ISO 3200 with acceptable noise control. I am traveling a bit so might not got chance to go the aquarium often so I just want to make 1 trip n bring Max 2 lens. Is that so difficult to ask?
You posted in newbies corner and what do you expect?

since you said you are not newbies, do you like me to move this to somewhere else?

i shot with the Panasonic 20/f1.7 on the OM-D E-M5

P1061900--2.jpg

Unfortunately, asking what focal length you need is kinda a newbie question. If you know your stuff you should know in your mind how much is the subject distance and what kind of framing you want and the focal length needed for the shots you want will come to you instantly.

Unfortunately, asking what focal length you need is kinda a newbie question. If you know your stuff you should know in your mind how much is the subject distance and what kind of framing you want and the focal length needed for the shots you want will come to you instantly.

Bingo.

If you saw my earlier post, already mentioned what lenses I used and the output you get. You can gauge from there ya? xoxo