SE Asia mountains that are worth the climb for a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseph.lwl

Apr 6, 2006
Singapore
I think that for any avid outdoors person and photographer, there's always a nagging question while planning to climb any mountain for the first time - will the scenery be worth it for me to lug my equipment thousands of meters up for a shoot, or should I just bring a point-and-shoot.

While mountains generally will provide some interesting subjects to shoot, not all mountains are created equal and some have better scenery than others.

Do share which mountains in SE Asia have scenes that are worth the climb, and more importantly, worth the pain of packing photography equipment (define: DSLR, two lenses and a tripod, minimum) along.

I have to vote mt rinjani in indon(lombok), have not been there but pics i have seen and accounts i have heard are stunnin. :)

cheers,
kilkenny

I have to vote mt rinjani in indon(lombok), have not been there but pics i have seen and accounts i have heard are stunnin. :)

cheers,
kilkenny

I strongly second Gunung Rinjani. I went up in 2003 or 2004. Heavenly scenery. Can check out my flickr album for pics (username photokalia).

alternatively, sabah is a really nice place. You can do mt K and island hop around the area.

some pics with my pt and shoot from way back to share,

#1 Clouds @ Laban Rata
CloudsLabanRataPanaroma.jpg

#2 Summit
summit3.jpg

#3 Summit Sunrise
sunrisesummit6.jpg

#4 Sabah Sunset
sunset5.jpg

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I did Gunung Kinabalu before. Not the best idea dragging all my kit with tripod up the mountain. My non-photog friends thought I was crazy.

Yes, Rinjani is definitely on the list and I've just decided to do Gunung Agung when I'm there next week.

I've also been hearing much about Gunung Bromo. A friend climbed it and said the scenery was worth it. Anyone did it before? How about Gunung Semeru?

Thanks for sharing.

i wanna go to mt bromo. heard tat the scenery was superb!!

i wanna go to mt bromo. heard tat the scenery was superb!!

Agree on this. There are a few series of photos of this mountain in other subforum, iirc.

anyone have photo to shares?

Sorry TS i am also a trekking enthusiast am looking for short getaways in this region also, so would u mind if other ppl pose pic here?

I love to see pictures of great sceneries in our own backyard!

cheers,
kilkenny

Take your pick HERE. Indonesia have lots of volcanic mountains to climb. I've always been fascinated by Mount Kerinci, the highest volcano peak in Indonesia and Sumatra. Near to Mount Kerinci, there is Gunung Tujuh (Seven Mountain) which has the highest lake in S.E.A. Not much photograph of Mount Kerinci and Gunung Tujuh.

Anyone is interested in getting together a trip? I'm interested in climbin too!

I think Gunung Agung may be my final climb up a real mountain this year. Weather turning wet at the end of the year, so it's not so ideal for higher altitude climb.

However, I should still be going for some treks in Malaysia to waterfalls or small mountain/hills. I need my monthly nature fix.

I go pretty often to Gunung Datuk (800m) in Negeri Sembilan to stretch my legs. Just a short 2.5 hours up and 2.5 hours down (do-able with DSLR+1 lens, flash and tripod in bag). It's always a night trek for me there to avoid the heat. If anyone's keen, just let me know your email. I will include you in the list if I'm organizing a trip there again.

Hi there, you can try Mt Bromo and Mt Semeru too. I went there in Aug for 5 days with my adventure club friends, be prepared to get lots of volcanic ash on your bags, face, hands ... everywhere till the end of the trip. We took 4WD most of the time, so its a rather bumpy trip but was fun!

Spend 2 nights at Ranu Kumbolo lake (sleeping in tents), the sunrise and moonrise is amazing but be prepared, temperatures dipped to eight - zero degrees after sunset.

From Ranu Kumbolo lake, you can trek to the last checkpoint -Kalimati. The trek starts from about 3am till sunrise, along the way you can see frozen ice crystals on the faunas. The summit view should be very beautiful - according to web sources. My only regret was that I didn't manage to reach Mt Semeru's summit. I'lll be going back again for sure!

Both Mt Bromo and Mt Semeru are active volcanoes, do check on the volcanic activity before and during the trip.

Equipment i brought was:
Nikon D80 + 18-135mm kit lens + nikkor 35mm f2 + gorillapod

Borrowed from my friends in the same trip:
Tripod, polarizer and WA lens

*i'll post some of the pics tonight

Last edited:
Yes..BROMO..:thumbsup:

Here are three pictures of Rinjani taken in 2007 for those interested in going.

Anak within the crater.
4098209088_ec5b575c2e_b.jpg

Looking down from crater rim
4098209692_6c59de587f_b.jpg

Morning visitor at base camp
4098210922_0b6ef183fe_b.jpg

Hi All

I keen in mountain climbing and photography. Do let me know if there is a group going to Mount Bromo (good if include Borobudur & Mount Rinjani)

Cheers

Here are three pictures of Rinjani taken in 2007 for those interested in going.

Anak within the crater.
4098209088_ec5b575c2e_b.jpg

Looking down from crater rim
4098209692_6c59de587f_b.jpg

Morning visitor at base camp
4098210922_0b6ef183fe_b.jpg

some useful tips..
for Mt. Kinabalu, u canpay to have the guide carry your bag, gears, tripods.. they will charge u by the weight.

cheers

is anyone can tell me how to go Gunung Rinjani from singapore? To which airport in indonesia? direct flight?

The post above says Lombok. Silkair flies to Lombok, can check it out on their website

Glad to see so many trekking enthusiast that don't mind lugging all the equipment up!

Interesting places that TS can consider:
1) Rinjani (Indonesia) > great summit view
2) Mount Apo (Philippines) > highest peak in Philippines
3) Gunung Stong (Malaysia) > not much at the summit but interesting waterfall and caving shots
4) Fan Si Pan (Vietnam) > view on summit is very dependent on weather. high tendency for white out but is gorgeous if clear. but you get to see/take lots of village/locals shots. Like mini Nepal ;)

have fun and protect your equipement! :D

thanks Zichar :D

Status
Not open for further replies.