SE 990i Vs Doopod 838Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
Any users of both products?
I am keen on getting one of the above ..

pls share your comments

1 is Symbian
1 is WM 5.0

838Pro is still plagued with screen alignment issues. Not sure whether its been solved.

Applications wise, the 838 should be more abundant as its based on M$hit windows mobile platform.

The P990i is still a little buggy but stable. Though there are less 3rd party applications on it, but all that you need for a business phone is there... schedule, phone functions, opening Word, Excel, pdf documents, camera, etc.

If you are looking for a serious business phone, then the P990i is a contender. If you are looking for a PDA phone that you would not mind little problems here and there, but want to download a load of 3rd party apps, then go for the Dopod... good luck with the Dopod.

If you are looking for a business phone that is stable, has reasonable amount of 3rd party apps, sounds great as a phone, does email with Blackberry support, opens Word, Excel, PDF files, keeps your schedule, sync with both PC and Mac, then you might want to look at the Treo 650 or the newer 750. So far this is the most solid business phone I have ever used.

Did I mention FAST as well? The P990i is slow. Maybe SE will fix that with firmware updates. So its up to you really... go test the P990i and see if you can stand the speed of the phone. The same problem is with the M600 as well... Symbian 9 is slow... painfully slow...

I will never part with my money on the Dopod. Hell, I will not use it even if I get it for free... I know many others will... but I really cannot trust the M$hit operating system no matter what they say.

The above are my personal opinion and preference. In no way this is meant to offend any Dopod fans or Windows Mobile user. After going through all the PDA phones in the market without a budget in mind, I still settled for the Treo. After sales service is still one of the best in the market.

I'm considering 838 pro . Need the Wifi , BT and Windows for Skype (cheap overaseas call ), Map King for navigation. I started a thread , most users seems very happy with it.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=227555&highlight=dopod

1 is Symbian
1 is WM 5.0

838Pro is still plagued with screen alignment issues. Not sure whether its been solved.

Applications wise, the 838 should be more abundant as its based on M$hit windows mobile platform.

I tried my friend 990i .. so far so good to me
will try out another friend 838 soon

990i is 1160$ w/o line
838 is 1300$ w/line
the treo just don look nice to me

then wat did u trade for ?

SE990i - got a few friends using, say very slow and some area receiption no good.
Dopod - design is fantastic but function wise not stable (thats what i heard).
Treo650/750 - design is so-so and some say ugly but function wise is the best, I use the 650 for 2 years and no hardware problem, fast, reliable, one-hand sms and call. Hope Treo would employ some top class product designer for their next phone...

i tink skype on a ppc is a wonderful thing...hahaha...u dun even need ya laptop or PC...juz use ya ppc and u can make calls so long as u are hooked to the net....woohooooo:D

Treo 750v doesnt have any form of Wifi, not even with wireless SD cards via SDIO i last heard.

the 838 Pro is not too bad actually. tried one myself, and it's working fine. but honestly, still prefer the older WM2003, due to speed. WM5 looks cooler, but slower =(

P990i is also ok. but as a seasoned WM user, Symbian 9 dont look too user friendly to me... and not to mention the keyboard flap feels cheap and looks like it'll break sooner or later...

of course P990i is a smaller phone overall, but comes with a big trade off. the keyboard is fingernail accessible to me... Dopod's 838Pro has a REALLY nice keyboard, and a keyboard on phone that i actually used for once... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.