SDHC - dead?

Ferderico

Mar 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi everyone,

i was shooting an event last night.
I think i maxed out a SD card while doing a burst shot.

After that my D90 had this CHR and i cant preview the images. Quickly i changed to a new SD and continue shooting.

When i reached home, i am unable to read any files from the SD card. My computer cant even detech the SD card. I tried it on a separate computer, still the problem persist.

Some of the threads in Clubsnap suggest that i format the card using the camera and do a data recovery.

Plug the card into my D90 and formatted it. STILL the D90 error message was that my card was demage or corrupted.

any suggestions to recover the card data?

thanks in advance. (im in deep trouble now)

Some of the threads in Clubsnap suggest that i format the card using the camera and do a data recovery.
:eek: I guess you have mixed up the order... Good luck.
Basic of any data recovery: DO NOT write anything to the media. Formatting is writing to the directory information, in fact: it's deleting them and removes inconsistencies, which can result in further data loss.
Try different card reader. Some cheap ones can corrupt cards. Or: get a new one, preferable the same brand or better than your card. What card exactly are you using? Which card reader? If you can format the card in the camera then the hardware seems to be ok, just the file system is screwed. Search for 'data recovery' here and follow the instructions and hints given.
Another hint: Do not fill memory cards up to last image. I remember such a recommendation, but cannot find the source at the moment.

I guess you have mixed up the order... Good luck.

either way, i still cant see the files in my computer.
The Memory recovery software are quite useless.... some of the softwares cant even detect the card at all.

seems like i have to get professional help. :(
any recommendations on which shop in Sim Lim?

feeling damn sad now.

seems like i have to get professional help. :(
any recommendations on which shop in Sim Lim?
I don't think these tinker shops can help. If the issue is more complex than what one can achieve with recovery software then it also needs more equipment. Also, professional help costs some money. Some years ago our company engaged data recovery company from Science Park. But can't remember the name. Yellow pages?

:eek: I guess you have mixed up the order... Good luck.
Basic of any data recovery: DO NOT write anything to the media. Formatting is writing to the directory information, in fact: it's deleting them and removes inconsistencies, which can result in further data loss.
Try different card reader. Some cheap ones can corrupt cards. Or: get a new one, preferable the same brand or better than your card. What card exactly are you using? Which card reader? If you can format the card in the camera then the hardware seems to be ok, just the file system is screwed. Search for 'data recovery' here and follow the instructions and hints given.
Another hint: Do not fill memory cards up to last image. I remember such a recommendation, but cannot find the source at the moment.

rofl... u wiped out ur card the moment ur formatted it:sweat:

latest update from the shop i sent to, cant work - cant retrieve.
anyone other suggestions?
Professional Data Recovery. SLS is not what I count in here. Give them a call and be prepared for some expenses in the 3 digit range at least (if they manage to get something out).
You haven't stated the brand of your card. Many people here use Sandisk or Lexar and they are quite happy. Sandisk offers 1:1 exchange and long warranty. Do consider this when getting your replacement card.

latest update from the shop i sent to, cant work - cant retrieve.

anyone other suggestions?

Stop whatever you're doing and don't format it anymore or do any file transfer. The controller is damaged. There are two methods to retrieve the data:

(1) Get an identical new card. Only replace the damaged controller chip with a new one and you're good to go. You need to have some nifty soldering skills and the kits too.

or

(2) Send it to a data recovery centre. E.g. International Technology System (Tel:67461909). Charges are reasonable. They are usually in the hundreds $$$.

Lastly, formatting may make it more difficult to retrieve the data.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Try not to go to SLS because you yourself do not know of any good shop that does a good job.

If you did not write any thing after the last formating, it is still ok.
I had that before, but on HDD. My entire photos were formatted and had OS installed over it.

End up, I sent to ADRC for retrieving which cost me $800+. At least I got back 90% of the photos.

Get the quote first and see what they can do for you.
For ADRC, do state you are consumer and not by business level because pricing is quite different.
If you have friend affiliated to ADRC, there is a huge discount also.

Adrc reply that that there is a media failure due to card controller.. It's a hardware failure.
Cost of repair is $800.

Any cheaper alternatives? I haven't replied them yet.

Adrc reply that that there is a media failure due to card controller.. It's a hardware failure.
Cost of repair is $800.
Any cheaper alternatives? I haven't replied them yet.
Unlikely, price is within the range that was to be expected. In 2005 I had a hard disk crash (IBM Thinkpad HDD, 40GB), recovery of about 20GB data was $1.2k.
Such cases need specialized companies, nothing that SLS shops can do in their backroom.

I have yet to collect the card back from ADRC.
erm soldering ah... i am very bad with such technical stuff.

seriously, after experiencing this SD card mishap... i think it is good money to do data retrieval service.
anyway $800 is too much for a 8GB data.

i will be using a fraction of the cost to replace all my CF and SD cards to Sandisk to prevent such things from happening again.

lesson learnt:
1.) Use good cards
2.) Do not max out the card
3.) Backup whenever possible

sigh~~~