SDCard Reader

leiso

Mar 1, 2011
Hi guys,

Any recommendation on good SD card reader that can support SDHC class10 and its price?
Or any el cheapo all-in-one reader can do the job?

Thanks.

The el cheapo card readers may state "USB 2.0" on the box, but actually only work at USB 1.1 speeds. Best bet is to get a nice Sandisk reader.

leiso said:
Hi guys,

Any recommendation on good SD card reader that can support SDHC class10 and its price?
Or any el cheapo all-in-one reader can do the job?

Thanks.

My experience is that cheapo ones dont last long.......

Better to get a mid range price reader......

I bought a Hotway 55-in-1 card reader.
Supposed to be able to go up to 20MB/s for SDHC and 28MB/sec for CF UDMA.
So far may Transcend Class 4 can do nearly 16MB/sec on this reader.
Sandisk Ultra and Kingston 266x CF can do around 25MB/sec.
So it is quite close to the stated specs.

Below $20 at SLS.

For faster readers, you need USB3 or firewire I think.

I bought a Hotway 55-in-1 card reader.
Supposed to be able to go up to 20MB/s for SDHC and 28MB/sec for CF UDMA.
So far may Transcend Class 4 can do nearly 16MB/sec on this reader.
Sandisk Ultra and Kingston 266x CF can do around 25MB/sec.
So it is quite close to the stated specs.

Below $20 at SLS.

For faster readers, you need USB3 or firewire I think.

Nope, because even USB 2.0 will never be saturated by the card. So FW/Lightpeak or USB 3.0 will not make a difference.

Nope, because even USB 2.0 will never be saturated by the card. So FW/Lightpeak or USB 3.0 will not make a difference.

No USB 2.0 connection could ever come close to the 480Mbps theoretical maximum throughput, making data transfer at around 320Mbps (40MB/s) - the actual real-world maximum.
The lower end (cheaper) readers don't even come close to the real world max, averaging 20MB/s to 25MB/s.
The best cards today are rated to do 45MB/s - 90MB/s. I suspect some of the memory card's rated speed is achieved using CF to SATA adaptor type devices which can benefit from the SATA2.0 greater throughput.

Try the Sony Multi-card reader. Using USB 2 but fast enough.
Quite cheap too. About $15. I bought mine from Giant, but also saw it in some neighbourhood computer shops.

woeilee said:
Try the Sony Multi-card reader. Using USB 2 but fast enough.
Quite cheap too. About $15. I bought mine from Giant, but also saw it in some neighbourhood computer shops.

Sony got card reader??