Sd Vs Mmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
Will be getting the Minolta X20 digicam. It uses either SD or MMC card. Not too sure which to get.

Would like to ask the difference between the 2 in terms of performance and price etc.

Thanks.

revenant said:
Will be getting the Minolta X20 digicam. It uses either SD or MMC card. Not too sure which to get.

Would like to ask the difference between the 2 in terms of performance and price etc.

Thanks.

Physically, both look the same but the MMC is cheaper than the SD. The SD has a built-in security feature that can be enabled for some copyright protection. I do not know which is better in term of reading and writing speed as I don't either one of this format but the SD seems to be more popular among users here.

redstorm said:
Physically, both look the same but the MMC is cheaper than the SD. The SD has a built-in security feature that can be enabled for some copyright protection. I do not know which is better in term of reading and writing speed as I don't either one of this format but the SD seems to be more popular among users here.

hmm...... how much is the Panasonic 128MB SD card?

revenant said:

Thanks.

In terms of technology, the MMC ws first to appear on the market. The SD was introduced later. Apparently, the SD card is faster in terms of read/write as compared to MMCs.

Price wise I would think that SDs are more expensive compared to MMCs. But then again not sure if they still sell MMCs anymore.

according to my Xt manual, MMC cards cannot stream video (ie no unLTD video size)
mmc cards are cheaper but also size limited (128?)

irrelevant but I think MMC is like smartmedia, it's a passive mechanism.

MMC cards have basically been phased out by SD cards which are faster, have larger capacities and have built-in security features. SD cards are slightly thicker than MMC cards but most cameras/card readers that support SD will also support MMC due to the "backward compatibility" of the 2 media. But take note that SD cards don't work in MMC only cameras (if any) or readers.

Definately go for a SD card instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.