SD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilsam

Dec 27, 2007
Jurong|Tampines|TangShooters
1.) What is the difference between a normal speed SD card and a high speed one? Does it really make that much of a difference? Can a normal speed SD card still be used in a DSLR and is the difference in the performance that large?

2.) Kingston, Toshiba or Sandisk? Which is better?!

I really hope someone can answer my questions! Thanks =)

:p

1.) What is the difference between a normal speed SD card and a high speed one? Does it really make that much of a difference? Can a normal speed SD card still be used in a DSLR and is the difference in the performance that large?

2.) Kingston, Toshiba or Sandisk? Which is better?!

I really hope someone can answer my questions! Thanks =)

:p

The difference in the speed? Transfer speed of course. How long do you want to wait for the pictures to write before you can shoot more? The faster the transfer speed, the lower the waiting time.

As for the brand of cards, for shooting, most would still stick with Sandisk.

cheers,

Faster Speed = faster transfer rate = higher price :)

If I am not wrong, Toshiba SD card are developed by Toshiba and Sandisk. In fact I had owned 3 different brand and speed of cards. 1 Ultra II (Sandisk), 1 Transcend 80x and Kingston 50x. Also, these are my preference of ranking.

I find that the built of Ultra II built is better than the other 2 while the transfer speed is slower than the Transcend but faster than Kingston.

I also owned a Toshiba SD card before and had sold it away to my friend to upgrade to Ultra II. Overall, I find that for value of money would be Kingston. For the best quality, Ultra II or even Extreme III would be my choice. :)

Bros,

I have used Toshiba High Speed SD cards and Lexar Professional 133x SD cards. In comparison to the Transcend 60x that I used to carry around, they are a god-sent. The speed of writing is very fast and can keep up with the high volume of data from continuous and burst shooting. I shoot raw and each shot from my D80 "costs" me around 8MB. 3 shots per second results in 24MB of data to be written.

Problem has struck my Lexar 133x as one of the 2GB cards has become faulty. Yes, it does have lifetime replacement warranty, but I have yet to be able to exchange due to my tight schedules these few months. Most possibly, I will be going for the SanDisk SDHC 8GB Ultra II next.

Just a curious question, besides the same writing speed of 20MB per second for both the Lexar Professional 133x SD cards and the Sandisk Extreme III SD cards, is there any huge differences among these 2 brands?

From what I had read, Extreme III is able to undergo tough environment. But I do not know about the Lexar Professional 133x. So in my first impression, the built of Extreme III is much reliable. But would like to find out that is my first impression true?

TS: sorry for asking question which may not be related to your thread since this is about SD card and I do not wish to flood the forum with unnecessary thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.