SD cards & batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheek

Jan 16, 2004
Hi fellas. Am new here so sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Will be getting a digicam soon & was wondering about batteries, chargers & SD cards.

For charger I intend to get CHG2000PDSC Quick Smart Charger (sold at EastGear). Its supposed to be the OEM version of RipVan100 Lightning Pack 4000N. Any comments on this charger? For batteries I've decided on Sanyo 2300mAh NiMH AA batteries. Is this a good choice?

Lastly, I have shorlisted 3 brands for SD cards:

Twinmos 256MB (2 year warranty) - $135
Transcend 256MB (5 year warranty) - $145
Hagiwara 256MB (dunno abt warranty) - $133

I've heard that performance is the same regardless of brand so I guess reliability may be the other concern. Any of u guys used these 3 brands? Any comments?

Thanks!

Wonder if you were the one who ask us about the SD prices earlier, anyway we are selling the Hagiwara 256MB SD at $133, the warranty is 1 year. Hagiwara is the number 1 memory card brand in Japan. Transcend is also a good brand, but I guess you are paying more for the warranty.

EastGear said:
Wonder if you were the one who ask us about the SD prices earlier, anyway we are selling the Hagiwara 256MB SD at $133, the warranty is 1 year. Hagiwara is the number 1 memory card brand in Japan. Transcend is also a good brand, but I guess you are paying more for the warranty.
Yes I was the one! ;p Just asking to see if ppl have any experience with these cards. Because I heard diff brand CF cards got diff in performance. Like SanDisk they said was the slowest CF card but SanDisk II very fast. Dunno about SD card though. Heard some ppl say Panasonic & Billionton are the fastest, but others say about the same.

Its ok if my SD card is not the fastest but I just don't to end up getting a brand that turns out to be one of the slowest or worst, one that is not reliable. Heard of some ppl their SD card can cause digicam to hang, dunno true or not! Then some ppl their SD card when remove from camera & put in flash card reader, dunno why can't copy out the files. Damn scary!

Chanced upon http://www.convergent.com.sg/produc...Id=HPC-SD256M today.

Apparently Hagiware has 2 version, one using Panasonic chipset, the other using Toshiba. The Hagiwara HPC-SD256M (Panasonic chipset) apparently is the fastest with 10mb/sec transfer rate. Twinmos & Transcend are 2mb/sec. Good grief, that's slow isn't it?

2MB/s still much faster than what most cameras is cable of writing.

btw, the link does not work....

mpenza said:
2MB/s still much faster than what most cameras is cable of writing.

btw, the link does not work....
http://www.convergent.com.sg/productdetails.asp?ProductId=HPC-SD256M

Urm, but apparently the Panasonic is fast when READING but slow when writing. Which means their writing speed is prob less than the advertised 10mb/sec, though the reading speed is prob close to that.

But as said before, speed is only a minor concern for me. Am more worried about the reliability of the card. Don't sekali get a card with 1 year warranty & the joker croaks on me after 2 years! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.