SD Card

Remedy

May 18, 2011
Hi all,

May I know what type of SD card to buy.

i was told to buy SD HC card which is easily available.

but now someone told me that I should buy class 6 and above?

it is necessary? and where can I get it?

What camera are you using? On my old K-x, a class 4 card was good enough (with in-camera processing turned off) for shooting RAW. With the K-5, I think at least a class 6 would be recommended as it takes a long time to clear the buffer and for the hourglass symbol to disappear after each shot. Theres a thread on pentaxforums looking at different card brands and speeds and the conclusion I came up with was that theres not much difference between the class 6 and 10 cards when it comes to writing info from the camera as this is determined more by the camera. Of course, it would be faster when you are transferring files to/from the card and PC.

Once try class 10... cannot turn back...
i already forgot where i have place my 32GB class 4 already.... regert about it...
anyway now class 10 not exp at all...
a K-x user...

Thanks! Using a k-5, just started out.

Where will be a good place to get class 10 sd card?

Thanks! Using a k-5, just started out.

Where will be a good place to get class 10 sd card?

Naturally, during an IT Show. Next one is in June.

Otherwise can try Funan/SLS shops. Just be sure its from local distributor for the Lifetime Warranty.

This is what i got.
562815_10150748180388166_835728165_9644873_1939866055_n.jpg

Last edited:
You can try Transcend SD cards. Buy from Memory World at either Funan or Sim Lim. IIRC, it is $22 for 16GD class 10. I have been using them for a long time. No problem so far.

IT show sometime the price go up a bit one... due to extra rental... but just 10 cent 20 cent more...

price you can check is Video Pro and Best Bargin at SLS...
Video Pro have their own website Google it for price list
Best Bargin price list at Hardwarezone...
normally they are the cheapest in SLS...

get Sandisk is good

IT show sometime the price go up a bit one... due to extra rental... but just 10 cent 20 cent more...

price you can check is Video Pro and Best Bargin at SLS...
Video Pro have their own website Google it for price list
Best Bargin price list at Hardwarezone...
normally they are the cheapest in SLS...

get Sandisk is good

just make sure its warranty is by vector magnetics. they can use the card s/n to check if their stock or not. Also check if the Sandisk card you intend to get is lifetime warranty or 5 years warranty one.

i am curious... has anyone claimed warranty on a faulty 3 year old SD card before?

Yup. If have receipt is one on one exchange if they have stock. So far only Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk is on the spot 1-1.

i am curious... has anyone claimed warranty on a faulty 3 year old SD card before?

Yup. If have receipt is one on one exchange if they have stock. So far only Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk is on the spot 1-1.

so to confirm: u have claimed warranty for a 3 year old card before? meaning to say: u kept the receipt, they have stock and they honoured the warranty? good for u.

my thinking is this: 3 years ago, 2gb class 4 SD cards was the norm... so a person buying gadgets would either have bought such a card, or have such a card bundled with his purchases. today, 2gb cards are not common anymore.

in your view, do u think it is more likely that a person would upgrade to a higher capacity, higher speed card? or claim warranty on an obsolete low capacity, low speed card?

my point is this: warranty is good. the longer the better. but for mem cards, based on its low fail rates, based on how pple actually use them and based on rapid advances in digital storage technology, i consider 1 year warranty useful and impt but 3-5 yrs? lifetime warranty? its gimmicky lor...

the hassle of keeping the receipts in order to claim warranty on an obsolete product is simply not worth my time.

Last edited:
Make a lot of sense. It's either the product goes obsolete, don't fail or too cheap for majority of people simply to buy new ones. However its smart marketing to slap a 5 year warranty on the product because as consumer which product would you choose, the 5 years or the 1 year warranty given that the specs are more or less the same?

just make sure its warranty is by vector magnetics. they can use the card s/n to check if their stock or not. Also check if the Sandisk card you intend to get is lifetime warranty or 5 years warranty one.

So far it is not a problem for me... have a few Sandisk card... and my whole company is using sandisk thumb drive... so far none have fail yet....
Kingston got 2 time die history with me...
even after using 1 year + and should cover 3 years warranty and i send in my 512MB thumb drive... they tell me no stock for the old model... after 1 year re visit them, they say replace me with 512MB SD card with card reader, i say ok... but they also no stock... have to wait...
then forever no stock already...
yes i didn't not manage to get a replacement...
but i don't even care to call anymore... with this type of storage standard... give me free i also don't trust it...
RAM i still buy kingston something... because it is not a storeage and not so easy cost data loss...

i will not claim it...
buy new one every 2 year should be the case....
2 years tech change a lot already...
some more this type of Memory(memory card, Thumbdrive and SSD) have limited read-write cycle, which mean it will have high fail rate after X number of writing... not like harddisk which design to last for much longer time...
but the X number should be very huge number nowaday

some more this type of Memory(memory card, Thumbdrive and SSD) have limited read-write cycle, which mean it will have high fail rate after X number of writing... not like harddisk which design to last for much longer time...
but the X number should be very huge number nowaday

typically, its 100,000 writes per sector. its a far more substantial number than it looks. modern sd cards are designed to spread data over the whole card and use each sector equally so unlike HDD, u dun normally get "bad sectors".

a rough calculation i found off the net:

"it would take over 10 years to wear out an area on an SD Card based on a file of any size (from 512 bytes to maximum capacity) being rewritten 3 times per hour, 8 hours a day, 365 days per year."

so unless u're buying a no-name card off a dodgy website, then u're buying Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates... u never know what u're going to get.

if u're buying off the reputable stores here, sandisk, transcend, kingston, toshiba, to me, the only difference is the price and sometimes, its not even very significant.

Last edited:
so to confirm: u have claimed warranty for a 3 year old card before? meaning to say: u kept the receipt, they have stock and they honoured the warranty? good for u.

my thinking is this: 3 years ago, 2gb class 4 SD cards was the norm... so a person buying gadgets would either have bought such a card, or have such a card bundled with his purchases. today, 2gb cards are not common anymore.

in your view, do u think it is more likely that a person would upgrade to a higher capacity, higher speed card? or claim warranty on an obsolete low capacity, low speed card?

my point is this: warranty is good. the longer the better. but for mem cards, based on its low fail rates, based on how pple actually use them and based on rapid advances in digital storage technology, i consider 1 year warranty useful and impt but 3-5 yrs? lifetime warranty? its gimmicky lor...

the hassle of keeping the receipts in order to claim warranty on an obsolete product is simply not worth my time.

Actually what they did was upgrade the card to closest same value of the amount i paid for the card then. So basically if bought a card at $50 then, they will replace with current specs $50 card along the same series. Its a good deal when you think about it, in the sense one card for life or as long got local distributor. Then supposing that card no stock, can choose to top up to the next tier of card.

Last edited:
Reportage said:
Actually what they did was upgrade the card to closest same value of the amount i paid for the card then. So basically if bought a card at $50 then, they will replace with current specs $50 card along the same series. Its a good deal when you think about it, in the sense one card for life or as long got local distributor. Then supposing that card no stock, can choose to top up to the next tier of card.

Be even better if the card can be made to die on demand when its time to upgrade...

Just to correct a common misconception, Vector is not the sole distro in Singapore.

The other distros also honour 5 years warranty. Cheers.

typically, its 100,000 writes per sector. its a far more substantial number than it looks. modern sd cards are designed to spread data over the whole card and use each sector equally so unlike HDD, u dun normally get "bad sectors".

a rough calculation i found off the net:

"it would take over 10 years to wear out an area on an SD Card based on a file of any size (from 512 bytes to maximum capacity) being rewritten 3 times per hour, 8 hours a day, 365 days per year."

so unless u're buying a no-name card off a dodgy website, then u're buying Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates... u never know what u're going to get.

if u're buying off the reputable stores here, sandisk, transcend, kingston, toshiba, to me, the only difference is the price and sometimes, its not even very significant.

Yep, though sometimes there are manufacturing errors which show up over time.

That said, I've ran through only about 4 or so SD cards since 2006... Mainly because I had to upgrade the SIZE, rather than because they spoilt. A 2GB card was fine on the K100D with its 6 megapixel files, but that became a bit too small when I used the K20D so I got a 4GB card. Then because cards became so much cheaper I bought a 8GB and 16GB card over the years. So far, I gave away the 2GB Transcend card with the K100D when I sold it (still working well), the 4GB Sandisk Extreme broke because of repeated shoving into SD card readers (no I didn't bother to claim warranty, not even sure if it's fair because of wear and tear)... None of them had any card errors. :)

I've heard of people who have had SD cards fail on them out of nowhere though. Painful. Which is why I always bring along a portable storage device for trips... It's not so bad if you're in Singapore, at most you can curse and swear that your beautiful sunset is gone, but you can go back... Overseas, that's not so easy. :bsmilie: