SD card same as MMC card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestan

Aug 16, 2004
Singapore
Maybe a no brainer, but I seriously need help. Is the SD card same as MMC card? I ask cos both can be slotted and read by my laptop's supposed SD card reader. Also both same size

Also, the RS MMC card (with adaptor) same as SD card?

I know it sounds foolish, but please help. My friend's 6230i uses MMC card. Wondering if it can take the SD card too? Cos he wants to but the SD card as it can be used with digital cameras.

Cheers...

My observations...MMC is generally thinner then SD card and MMC has a slower write/read speed than that of SD card..hope my observations are correct..

jamestan said:
Maybe a no brainer, but I seriously need help. Is the SD card same as MMC card? I ask cos both can be slotted and read by my laptop's supposed SD card reader. Also both same size

Also, the RS MMC card (with adaptor) same as SD card?

I know it sounds foolish, but please help. My friend's 6230i uses MMC card. Wondering if it can take the SD card too? Cos he wants to but the SD card as it can be used with digital cameras.

Cheers...

No they are not the same despite of its physical apperence.

no,he won't be able to use the SD card on his phone.I tried before though most SD and MMC share the same card reader.
RSmmc also can be read by card reader,just plug out the card reader cover and slot in the short RSmmc in will do.

Thanks all. can someone enlighten me on differences? Can my friend buy an SD card and use on his phone?

if i'm not wrong MMC card is longer.So it won't fit into the phone.

No, he cannot. I have the 6230, not the "i" version. The manual specifically says it does not support SD. As mentioned by clarbryan, MMC has a slower read/write speed than SD. Most SD devices can read MMC but MMC devices cannot neccessarily read SD. U can ask him to ask the shop people to let him try out first if u really wanna try. Or if u have an SD card for him to try.

Oh, there might be different voltage requirements too but I dunno about that. =)

jamestan said:
Thanks all. can someone enlighten me on differences? Can my friend buy an SD card and use on his phone?

No. He can't. Most SD devices can accept MMC but not MMC devices. They can't take SD. SD has additional security features and an additional contact. N6230 and 6230i can only take MMC and RSMMC with adaptor. Sat but true, my N6230 cannot read my Lexar SD.

IIRC theres voltage on MMC card right? If yes .. u need to use the specify voltage if not your phone wont be able to read it ..

OT: for camera .. u can use both

i'm using the Sharp SX 813, the manual only says use SD card, but i'm currently using the MMC card that came as a gift with the old motoprata mx200. no problems.

ah.... so SD devices can use MMC but MMC devices cannot use SD...

Correct??

Status
Not open for further replies.