SD card limit in cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfly

Dec 28, 2005
I bought my friend a 8GB SD card for her Canon G9 as a birthday present. But now she says that the cam says "error" and she cannot use the SD card. She brought the cam and card to a photo printing shop and the shop says the such cameras cannot use SD cards larger than 2GB. Is this true?? Sounds like nonsense to me... Were they trying to pull a fast one or did I buy a faulty SD card?

Thanks for your help.

G9 should be able to support SDHC cards, which have capacities higher than 2gb.

Unless that SD card is non-SDHC standard compliant...

No.. shouldn't have a limit. The G9 can record movies for up to 4GB.

Why would there be a limit of 2GB card? :dunno:

G9 should be able to support SDHC cards, which have capacities higher than 2gb.

Unless that SD card is non-SDHC standard compliant...

I'll ask her to check if her cam support SDHC cards...

Thanks!

should not be a problem. cos my powershot A720 is using a 8GB SDHC. :D maybe card problem?

If it is a G9, it supports SDHC.

Did she try formatting the card in camera? Or she couldn't even get that far?

It could be a faulty card. Did you / she try it in another device?

I'll ask her to check if her cam support SDHC cards...

Thanks!

The cam does support SDHC. Sound like the card was not formatted, or is fake/faulty.

Try reformatting the card using the camera. If that doesn't help take the USB connector and hook up the card to any PC available. Use the system tools (explorer) to reformat the card using FAT32 file system. This will create a file system necessary to support storage media >2GB. Just FAT (also named as FAT16) will not be sufficient!
If this fails and the card doesn't come with any additional support software (I remember Sandisk has it for recovering deleted files) then it's time to contact the shop for replacement. You may also want to check whether the card is a fake.

...She brought the cam and card to a photo printing shop and the shop says the such cameras cannot use SD cards larger than 2GB. Is this true?? Sounds like nonsense to me... Were they trying to pull a fast one or did I buy a faulty SD card?

Thanks for your help.

And it used to come with a free 4GB card, which makes whatever the printing shop said sound like a load of rubbish.

Think formatting the card might be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.