SD card cannot read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_lan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I just bought a Kingston SD card.

my PC detects it, but can't open it!

i checked and the format of the card is RAW, not FAT. is this the problem?

try formatting it..

what format is RAW? never heard of it...
it should be FAT32 if u want ur card to be universally recognised (at least between mac and windows)...

what format is RAW? never heard of it...
it should be FAT32 if u want ur card to be universally recognised (at least between mac and windows)...
if im not wrong all unformatted harddisk/mem card are RAW, fat32/fat16/ntfs is what you get after formatting.

What is the size of the SD card? If it is 4GB and above, you need a SDHC (FAT32) compatible card reader.

BC

What is the size of the SD card? If it is 4GB and above, you need a SDHC (FAT32) compatible card reader.

BC

My card is 2GB. dunno what's the reason.

My comp's reader detects it, but just cannot read it. when i try to open, it says please insert disc.

could it be a problem with a new card and old reader?

My card is 2GB. dunno what's the reason.

My comp's reader detects it, but just cannot read it. when i try to open, it says please insert disc.

could it be a problem with a new card and old reader?

card maybe faulty as I have this problem and get it changed from the vendor.

Errmm... from what I know and experienced, you SHOULD format your card with your camera first. Not with PC..

NEVER format with PC...

it's ok to format with pc.. i do that... the main thing is the file system must be compatible with the computers.. that's all..

the best way is to use FAT32.. the most universal.. there are other formats (FAT16, NTFS, HFS), but IIRC, the computers only allow u to format Flash Memory in the FAT system. The FAT system is recognised by most OS (incl. Windows and Mac), and the 32 bit version is now the main format that is used, so formatting ur card in FAT32 will ensure that ur computer can read it.. if not then it's probably a faulty card...

it's ok to format with pc.. i do that... the main thing is the file system must be compatible with the computers.. that's all..

the best way is to use FAT32.. the most universal.. there are other formats (FAT16, NTFS, HFS), but IIRC, the computers only allow u to format Flash Memory in the FAT system. The FAT system is recognised by most OS (incl. Windows and Mac), and the 32 bit version is now the main format that is used, so formatting ur card in FAT32 will ensure that ur computer can read it.. if not then it's probably a faulty card...
Not true. I format my 1GB SD card to NTFS and use it for Windows Vista's ReadyBoost.

It is still better to format Card with Digital Camera as some Digital camera doesn't know FAT32 file system.

Some PC card reader also can have a problem in formating, writing or reading the card. At least I have one PC card reader that come as a free gift when I buy IXUS 75 (IT show), and it give an error when writing or reading big file. Changing to my old card reader and no problem at all.

Regards,
Arto.

Not true. I format my 1GB SD card to NTFS and use it for Windows Vista's ReadyBoost.

It is still better to format Card with Digital Camera as some Digital camera doesn't know FAT32 file system.

Some PC card reader also can have a problem in formating, writing or reading the card. At least I have one PC card reader that come as a free gift when I buy IXUS 75 (IT show), and it give an error when writing or reading big file. Changing to my old card reader and no problem at all.

Regards,
Arto.

really? i don't ever remember seeing an option for ntfs.. hmm.. maybe my windows xp is missing something... anyway i wouldn't do NTFS for compatability reasons...unless u're only using windows...

the worst thing is when u hav pictures inside and you hav to reformat it....:cry:

If the camera can read the card, use it to transfer the pics to the PC, then format the card with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.