SCV Thomson TV recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
SCV offering me discount on this thing. But I really don't like Thomson TV equipment - I think they are lousy. I like Thomson top loading washing machines. If the SCV offer was made by Sony, I will take it, even if they charge more.

I already have a DVD hard disk digital recorder connected to my SCV digital cable set top box.

Anyway, if I get it, any ideas how to connect the thing to my DVD hard disk recorder and then the TV?

SCV offering me discount on this thing. But I really don't like Thomson TV equipment - I think they are lousy. I like Thomson top loading washing machines. If the SCV offer was made by Sony, I will take it, even if they charge more.

I already have a DVD hard disk digital recorder connected to my SCV digital cable set top box.

Anyway, if I get it, any ideas how to connect the thing to my DVD hard disk recorder and then the TV?

The main difference between this settop box to DVD recorder is the way of doing recording is so easy as compare to DVD hard disk recorder, you just need to go to the program, press the recording, it will automatically change channel and record according to the program time. Secondly it has inbuilt time shift recording and playback = for example, while watching the movie halfway, you need to rush to the toilet, just press the pause button, when you come back just press the play to continue the movie from where you left with.

Another free bundle is that it come with free 1M Internet link, if you are not doing heavy gaming, you might be able to save money by disconnecting the Max on line.

There are many ways to do the connections, this is what I do:

Cable -> Digital set top box ->
Settop box area out to TV
Settop box AV out to TV AV1 in
Settop box second AV out to DVD recorder
DVD recorder to TV2 in

If you have been doing movie recording with the DVD recorder, you know how cumbersome, but it is so easy with the SCV settop box, after you have set (scheduled) the recording, you can continue to change channel and wathing movie as usual, you can do multiple schduling with difference channels, it will auto switch to the channel and record according, but you can only one recording at one time and you can watch another channel while recording.

The only limitation is that you are not able to copy the recorded movie out of the Set top box, unlike the DVD recorder.

too bad sony isn't in the cable tv decoder business. anyway there aren't many manufacturers doing cable tv decoders so the market is small, cannot hiam too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.