Screw-in filter vs. filter holder & filter & adaptor ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpmanamx

Oct 25, 2007
Hi,

I would like to ask what are the pros & cons of a screw-in filter over a filter using a filter holder & adaptor ring?

I am planning to buy ND, CPL and might also buy IR filters.

I currently have 18-55mm and 18-200mm lens.

I thought filter holder type like Cokin is more versatile, especially for graduated ND filters where you can shift the filter up and down, also just by using different adaptor rings it can fit possibly all your lens, the down side is that it is a bit more bulky then screw-in ones.

It's a trade off between convenience (screw-in) versus control (holder type).

If you tend to travel light, then get the screw-in sort.

Hi,

I would like to ask what are the pros & cons of a screw-in filter over a filter using a filter holder & adaptor ring?

with holder I can add up to 4 different filters without worry, but not for screw in. :dunno:

YMMV

If you have an assorted series of lenses, with different thread sizes, then it make more sense to get a filter holder. Just get the appropriate adapter and effectively, for each filter that you purchase, it fits into all your lenses.

:dunno:but the cokin one is made of plastic, do u guys think that it reduces the pic quality?

:dunno:but the cokin one is made of plastic, do u guys think that it reduces the pic quality?

not visible, at least to me

so long as you keep your filter relatively clean and free of scratches. it is too close to affect anything much negatively, if you ask me

Hi,

why not gnd, teehee

filter holder pros
1) can stack filters without worry
2) can shift horizon of gnd up and down, not limited like screw in filter
3) you just need ONE set of filters, not like screw in, if your lenses all got different diameter then damn sian
4) much much much much lighter

filter holder cons
1) damn sian to screw on
2) cokin is a tad tad teeny weeny flimsy, but so far no problems or major accidents
3) easy to get your filters dirty lor. so must clean

for screw in pros and cons, just 举一反三 yourself :bsmilie:

for personal preference, i prefer the r72 screw in filter from hoya, mainly because of the amount of light let through and results. i've seen cokin p007 before, it is still ir, but somehow i don't like the colors. not exactly the same, and not so contrasty, i think

not visible, at least to me

so long as you keep your filter relatively clean and free of scratches. it is too close to affect anything much negatively, if you ask me

actually it does, its the same reason as why there are many people out there who pay the $ for filters such as Nikon NC and B+W MRC instead of a non-coated Hoya.

Hi,

I guess buying filters will depend on our own personal needs and preference.
Thank you very much for your replies... it will help me a lot in choosing which filter type to buy:)

Happy shooting!

actually it does, its the same reason as why there are many people out there who pay the $ for filters such as Nikon NC and B+W MRC instead of a non-coated Hoya.

well to me, i do not make wall-sized prints

would you rather not use a filter and get blown out highlights, with undegraded quality

or use a filter and retain all details, with slightly degraded quality?

the pricing for filter quality is exponential, as is the case for almost any product in the market today

i find that for my purposes, i.e. mostly web-sized shots.. it is fine

though if people choose to purchase upper end products, nothing wrong with that.. just whether they really need it

I'm not sure but at least for a gnd, it must be a filter type. pointless for a screw on. For the rest, the filter type just have one single majot advantage as i mentioned earlier... One size fit all. If they can produce a B+w standard of filter, all the merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.