Scratch on UV filter

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
ok so i'm cleaning my UV filter off my kit lens and i noticed a small scratch (no more than 3mm in length) in an off centred position. will this affect IQ?

ok so i'm cleaning my UV filter off my kit lens and i noticed a small scratch (no more than 3mm in length) in an off centred position. will this affect IQ?

Like nightmare said if you stop down might show, good thing you used a filter, if not the scratch might be on the lens itself

Take some pictures to see if the scratch shows up in your pictures..

Most probably will not affect.

then it's doing it's job properly, don't worry if u see others UV they might even hve more scratches than a small scratch :bsmilie: unless it's a crack or a deep scratch it usually won't effect ur image but if u feel it is then just buy a new one it's a filter :)

Good thing it's on your filter and not on your kit lens. Take several photos at different stops to see whether you can work around it. If it affects IQ then throw it away and buy a new one. :cool:

Why don't you try?
The farther away from the sensor the less any object / dirt / scratch will affect the image quality. Everything at the front element needs to be really big to show up. There was a website showing a cracked front element, resulting only in slightly blurred images. Can't find it at the moment. Maybe somebody else has the link at hand?
Only in backlight conditions, or with a strong light source in the frame / just outside the frame the chances of flare will increase. The scratch will distort incoming light. Apart from that I doubt it will do anything. If you don't feel good, take some money to get a new one. Get a good one.

Why don't you try?
The farther away from the sensor the less any object / dirt / scratch will affect the image quality. Everything at the front element needs to be really big to show up. There was a website showing a cracked front element, resulting only in slightly blurred images. Can't find it at the moment. Maybe somebody else has the link at hand?
Only in backlight conditions, or with a strong light source in the frame / just outside the frame the chances of flare will increase. The scratch will distort incoming light. Apart from that I doubt it will do anything. If you don't feel good, take some money to get a new one. Get a good one.

Yes, I've seen that article too. People are too paranoid these days.

TS, it will not show.

the filter got scratched doing its job........... protecting your lens...... give it a decent respectful burial and get a new one.....

the filter got scratched doing its job........... protecting your lens...... give it a decent respectful burial and get a new one.....

Luckily i never throw away the case and box......can use as coffin.....:bsmilie:

Take some pictures to see if the scratch shows up in your pictures..

Most probably will not affect.

ok so will it be more likely to show up with a larger aperture opening or smaller?

ok so will it be more likely to show up with a larger aperture opening or smaller?

duhh.... its a digital camera.......... go shoot with it with filter on at various apertures...... and share your results......

It has to be really deep to affect your photos.
Try shooting at small aperture, say F16. Then rotate the filter abit for the second shot.
See if you can find any difference

Hmm... :think:

I doubt it will show up in your pics unless you're using UWA... You mentioned off centre, so it should mean that zooming the kit will magically make the scratch DIS-appear. Oh, the more amount of megapixels your camera has, and the more cropping you do, the larger the scratch will appear :eek: That's assuming the scratch got caught in the pic.

BTW, if you wanna buy a new filter, can sell me the scratched one? I'm doing a project to make a reverse macro filter, but my heart hurts to use one of my good filters :bheart::cry:

btw, lens front element tend to be more resilient to scratches than filters, from personal experience. so the thing that scratched your filter might not have scratched your front element.

of course, it's hard to say.. :)

btw, lens front element tend to be more resilient to scratches than filters, from personal experience. so the thing that scratched your filter might not have scratched your front element.

of course, it's hard to say.. :)

i'd rather protect it just the same! i reckon that multi coated uv filters tend to scratch easier bec of it... kinda like spectacles...