Scratch and Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

virus530

Oct 3, 2008
North Singapore
Hi All,

I am very very new in photography.
Only recently then I realise that there is so much more in a simple picture.
Read up abit on Rules for Photography's Composition.
Learn abit on Rule Of Third and playing with Horizon.
Thus decided to take a picture of still Life to see if I have apply the rules correctly.
Hope all is able to comment on it and help me improve as well as guide me along the way.

Last edited:
the 2 bears are oof. i think its because the dof is too shallow and u probably focus on the wrong spot or it went oof when u moved after u AF. the bunch of bokehed lights at the back is abit not here not there for me personally.

the 45 degrees tilt did not work for me.. and highlights seemed blown.. also i agree with flipfreak that focus is wrong too (unless intended that way)..

if you want start with applying the rule of thirds you can start with a horizontal horizon first.. get that right.. then move to different angles for different impact..

the two bears weren't really at Rule Of Thirds, were they?
and yes, agree with CSers who commented earlier, highlights blown and bears OOF.
framing here didn't work, but don't fret! you'll get better if you keep shooting!
and besides Rule Of Thirds, there are also other composition techniques. read them up, shoot a picture, post it here the next week for us to comment on. we'll be more than happy to help :)

its out of focus and the lights at the other end should be cropped off

Pointers are as said. But I think I see 2 cheeky bears here :bsmilie: just work on the steady hand technique and breathing or use a smaller fstop

the 2 bears are oof. i think its because the dof is too shallow and u probably focus on the wrong spot or it went oof when u moved after u AF. the bunch of bokehed lights at the back is abit not here not there for me personally.

Thank you for your comment. As mention my purpose here to understand abit on the Composition rules. I am aware that the bear is oof(BTW what does OOF stand for?) I posted the picture despite the Bear is off focus mainly to see if i got the composition rules correct or I am totally off and wish to improve on that. Point noted on the Bokehed Light at the back. They are actually mirror reflection of the 2 bear. If that the case, is it better to include the whole reflection in the picture or take a angle with out any of the reflection?

thank you for your time for sharing with me your view.

the 45 degrees tilt did not work for me.. and highlights seemed blown.. also i agree with flipfreak that focus is wrong too (unless intended that way)..

if you want start with applying the rule of thirds you can start with a horizontal horizon first.. get that right.. then move to different angles for different impact..

hmmm.... i apply the 45 degree tilt as I read up on the 'line rules' as running the horizon from corner to corner. But not sure I apply it in the wrong manner or for instant this picture wrongly.However on my noob view, I personally find the slanted feeling of the picture is nice.
But looking for view to improve the picture or maybe even correct where I went wrong.

Hightlights seems blown...can you kindly enlighten me on that? Cause I dont really understand the term. Hightlight referring to the bear? and Blown means? Sorry for my ignorance.

The focus is wrong... It is not intended that way.As I replied to Flipfreak, I posted the picture dispite the Bear is off focus because my main aim is to understand the composition part...will post a better focus picture in future when seeking Critics.....Sorry :)

Mabe should not run before I learn how to walk...will try with horizontal Horizon for the next one

the two bears weren't really at Rule Of Thirds, were they?
and yes, agree with CSers who commented earlier, highlights blown and bears OOF.
framing here didn't work, but don't fret! you'll get better if you keep shooting!
and besides Rule Of Thirds, there are also other composition techniques. read them up, shoot a picture, post it here the next week for us to comment on. we'll be more than happy to help :)

Kindly advice on the two bear when you say they are not in the Rule of third....Where did I went wrong.Sincerely want to know so I can improve where I implement it wrongly or I got the wrong preception of the rule.

Framing is???

thank you for your encouragement...

Pointers are as said. But I think I see 2 cheeky bears here :bsmilie: just work on the steady hand technique and breathing or use a smaller fstop

LOL....I got afew more of the cheeky bear....They are my model for me to learn the basic.

In fact if you guys can help me, please feel free to view my gallery and drop me some comment to help me improve.

Thank you for your comment. As mention my purpose here to understand abit on the Composition rules. I am aware that the bear is oof(BTW what does OOF stand for?) I posted the picture despite the Bear is off focus mainly to see if i got the composition rules correct or I am totally off and wish to improve on that...

One cannot pay attention to just a single aspect (such as rule of thirds), ignoring the others. All of your elements have to work well. If I have a shot framed with the rule of thirds, but it is out of focus (OOF), and does not tell much of a story, then it is still a bad shot to me.

Thank you for your comment. As mention my purpose here to understand abit on the Composition rules. I am aware that the bear is oof(BTW what does OOF stand for?) I posted the picture despite the Bear is off focus mainly to see if i got the composition rules correct or I am totally off and wish to improve on that. Point noted on the Bokehed Light at the back. They are actually mirror reflection of the 2 bear. If that the case, is it better to include the whole reflection in the picture or take a angle with out any of the reflection?

thank you for your time for sharing with me your view.

oic. i find it weird that just to understand and apply 1 rule, u ignored other fundamentals. :bsmilie:

i guess u need to try it with and without and see what works for u first. then post here and see what other think of it. i can't tell u cos i will not know how it might end up looking like.

I find the bears to be obsence. I can see his pee pee. There's also shadow in the eyes region, lack of catchlights. Can bounce the flash to have more fill in the face. WB is too yellow.

One cannot pay attention to just a single aspect (such as rule of thirds), ignoring the others. All of your elements have to work well. If I have a shot framed with the rule of thirds, but it is out of focus (OOF), and does not tell much of a story, then it is still a bad shot to me.

Point noted... Will post a better focus picture in the next thread next week.
Hmmm.....Do i post the same exact picture but with better focus next week?
I now agree that my Focus is out. And will touch on that on my next shot for critics.
Well I am thinking 1 stone 2 bird....Other than the FOCUS what other area to improve?

As you mention all elements have to work well.....What are the other elements that I have to take note that went wrong for my pic....and how do I go about correcting it? Other than the Focus which I already agree and noted..
thanks.

I find the bears to be obsence. I can see his pee pee. There's also shadow in the eyes region, lack of catchlights. Can bounce the flash to have more fill in the face. WB is too yellow.

I guess I am unable to bounce the flash using the defaulted Flash on the camera.
Am not ready to go into the flash as yet cause still learning he Foundation basic.
I find that Flash is actually very important in enclose area especially low lighted surroundings.
But as a newbie, I wont go into that so fast at the moment and not to mention a Flash is not cheap either.

I guess I am unable to bounce the flash using the defaulted Flash on the camera.
Am not ready to go into the flash as yet cause still learning he Foundation basic.
I find that Flash is actually very important in enclose area especially low lighted surroundings.
But as a newbie, I wont go into that so fast at the moment and not to mention a Flash is not cheap either.

Firstly, you can correct the tilt, it's making me feeling seasick. Use a tripod to prevent shakes, make use of the bokeh to create a nice background for the bears. Using a white piece of cupboard or paper, you can reflect some light into their faces. Underexpose the bears and shoot in RAW. Adjust back the exposure in Lightroom or PS to that you can see the details in the currently over exposured areas. Compose the shot in a way that feels balanced. My 2 cents.

actually, if u didnt mention it, i nvr notice it also. can always trust u to spot these things. no wonder the title is scratch and show. nice keychains. :bsmilie:

Kindly advice on the two bear when you say they are not in the Rule of third....Where did I went wrong.Sincerely want to know so I can improve where I implement it wrongly or I got the wrong preception of the rule.

Framing is???

thank you for your encouragement...

okay, to me, the bears are more to the center right, that's why i said it wasn't placed using Rule Of Thirds. framing is like... how you have placed the subject in the shot. what was and was not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.