Scott Kelby's problem with Drobo

lightrules

Mar 20, 2007
Seem like the solution is prevent a problem
is itself the problem !!

I’m done with drobo
from Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog » Photoshop & Digital Photography Techniques, Tutorials, Books, Reviews & More by Scott Kelby

I finally reached the point that I’m done with my drobo, which I use for the archiving of my photos. I actually use three drobos: one in my office, one in Brad’s office, and one at home, and now sadly I’m going to have to move to a different platform altogether because drobo finally pushed me to the point of no return.

What I love about drobo
What drew me to drobo was the fact that it constantly monitors the health of my hard drives, so if one starts going bad, or gets full, my drobo will warn me, and robotically shift my data to other drives installed in my drobo until I can replace that drive. Keeping a photo archive intact is very, very important to us photographers.

Why I’m done with drobo
Because once again, for the fourth time, my drobo is a brick. Do all my drives work? Absolutely. Can I access my photos? Nope. Not a one. When I came into work a couple of days ago, all my drobo does is cycle on/off over and over again. It doesn’t mount, I can’t access my photos, essentially it’s a brick. Again.

Scott, can’t you just pop those drives into something else and get your photos back?
Nope. It’s a proprietary system that only a drobo can read. Sigh.

I went to their site, followed their troubleshooting guide, and it still just cycles on/off (by the way, this isn’t the first time this has happened — drobo has had to replace my entire drobo unit (not including the drives) before. In fact, this was the fourth recorded incident Brad and I have had with drobo so far. By the way, while you’re waiting for your new drobo, you cannot access any of your photos on your drobo. You’re basically locked out.

This is the moment that I knew I was done with drobo
I called their tech support and they told me my dead drobo is out of warranty and so to get my photos back, I would have to pay nearly $300 for a drobo warranty extension thingy. So basically, while my drobo is supposed to protect my photo archive, what it has actually done is hold my photo archive hostage for $300.

I know what some of you are saying right now: “We told you so.” When my photo assistant Brad told drobo how supremely unhappy we were with that $300 hostage-situation, they eventually emailed back and lowered it to $100. We passed on the “deal.”

At this point, I’d rather give that $100 to you. Seriously.
Rather than sending $100 to drobo on a solution that I realize I’m going to have to abandon, I’d rather give the money to you to help me find a better solution. To that end I’m offering a $100 bounty to whomever can help me choose the new photo archival storage system I’m going to switch to now that I’m “dumping drobo” (that would make a great slogan for a t-shirt by the way).

I need about 12 GB of storage, which sadly may be conservative thanks to my 36-megapixel D800 which eats up drive space like a plaque of locust. Just leave me a comment here with any advice you have for big storage, and if I go with your suggestion I’ll cut you a check for $100 for your time and research (I’m only doing this for one person, so if 50 people say “try dropbox” I’m only cutting one check to one person. Just so you know).

My plea to drobo
I’ve been using drobos for a few years now, and have recommended them to a number of my personal friends. A lot of photographers out here have drobos and we count on drobo to keep our images safe, but obviously there can come a point where our hard drives are actually OK but our drobos have failed. My plea to drobo is simple. If our drobo’s power supply goes bad, or our drobo’s won’t mount, or whatever the problem is (unless we caused it by immersing our drobo in water, or dropping it off a counter, and so on) — we need you to stand behind it and replace our drobos free of charge. Otherwise the whole thing is worthless. Like my drobo is now.

So, that’s my story
While I love a lot of things about the drobo (the industrial design, the idea behind it, and the ability to easily swap drives in/out as needed), I hate that often I can’t get it to mount (ask Brad about this one), and worse than that I can’t have a solution that protects me when all is well, but when it gets a cold (which is clearly often does), it locks me out and then holds me hostage. That I can’t live with, which is why I’m done with drobo.

This blog post has magically disappeared from Scott Kelby's blog....

seriously? He is expecting a manufacturer to stand by a product that no longer has warranty and expect a FOC replacement? Who does business like that? :what:

Even if he decides to move on to other RAID boxes he still cannot unplug all his hard drives and plug them into a different chassis from another manufacturer.

seriously? He is expecting a manufacturer to stand by a product that no longer has warranty and expect a FOC replacement? Who does business like that? :what:

Even if he decides to move on to other RAID boxes he still cannot unplug all his hard drives and plug them into a different chassis from another manufacturer.

I think he is just frustrated, that's all... especially, going thru 4 failures and all...

There are a lot of complaints about the Dobro online actually...

yrh0413 said:

You can if you build your own raid box with freeNAS or Linux and use non-proprietary standards.

If he wants to have protection for his data he should not mess with funky Soho gear.. Yes, it will cost some money .. but it will cost less sweat than now. So he can decide: be a photographer and pay some premium for better storage, or save the money and learn the basics of IT. But from the way he describes it .. the second option is unlikely.

... even if he stores his files in a Drobo, he should still think of having a backup elsewhere.

RAID or NAS is high availability... it is not Backup.