Schools participation in NDP/Chingay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Just yesterday I had an interesting discussion with my colleague who incidentally is from Taipei and a permanent resident here.

We were talking about Chingay and about students taking part in these events. The discussions later turned to NDP and why did schools participate in NDPs... I recalled that I had to participate in one NDP many many years ago... I have to say I didn't like it because we had to skip many lessons to perfect the moves and formation routines etc.. etc.. and also had to stand under the hot sun when rehearsing them. But being there at the National Stadium on National Day was fun.

One interesting question was raised by my colleagues, is the selection to participate randomly selected by MOE? I dunno... I started wonder too.

../azul123

well.......i get CIP hours for doing that. lots of them.

OIC... what's good about that? can it be used to gain entry to higher learning or something?

../azul123

OIC... what's good about that? can it be used to gain entry to higher learning or something?

../azul123

well, it just looks impressive when you see your CIP report having like 300 hours. :bigeyes:

haha, my friends that go to those overseas CIP can accumulate like hundreds of hours.

oh, and it is fun too. not really just for the hours.:bsmilie:

show that you are 'socially active'

ughh. another one of the moe schemes la. no direct advantage into a entry of higher learning though. academic results are still the most impt.

L1R5 of 6 vs another with L1R5 of 8 with 300hrs CIP, any school would pick the former.

yepps.

Anyone from elite schools have participated in past NDPs?

../azul123

Just yesterday I had an interesting discussion with my colleague who incidentally is from Taipei and a permanent resident here.

We were talking about Chingay and about students taking part in these events. The discussions later turned to NDP and why did schools participate in NDPs... I recalled that I had to participate in one NDP many many years ago... I have to say I didn't like it because we had to skip many lessons to perfect the moves and formation routines etc.. etc.. and also had to stand under the hot sun when rehearsing them. But being there at the National Stadium on National Day was fun.

One interesting question was raised by my colleagues, is the selection to participate randomly selected by MOE? I dunno... I started wonder too.

../azul123

usually such participation is decided by school management and where available the school's club/society instructors. NDP is fun to participate, too bad you didn't enjoy it.

Didn't enjoy is just putting it mildly... :(

Did school/student bodies do any study to see what impact it does to the students academically? would like to see equal distribution so that elite schools can also gain some CIP.

../azul123

Didn't enjoy is just putting it mildly... :(

Did school/student bodies do any study to see what impact it does to the students academically? would like to see equal distribution so that elite schools can also gain some CIP.

../azul123

huh?

are you blaming these events for poor academic results?

i think there's no direct corelation between academic results and extra-curricular participation. there are students who do well in both, there are students who do well only in 1, there are students who do well in none.

Status
Not open for further replies.