Scholars/Elites detached from the ground?

Do you think Scholars/Elites detached from the ground?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wah seh. i din know wikipedia also got...

wah I think this MP and his girl tio pwned liao...

gg

Some scholar programs choose their scholars not just through academic merit, but they have to go through various interviews by the agency (e.g. PSC, EDB ...) to see if they are suitable EQ wise as well, before being offered the program when they are in JC/Uni.

I totally disagree on scholars based solely on academic merit. Some of these smart scholars aren't wise at all, can't think...

Some scholar programs choose their scholars not just through academic merit, but they have to go through various interviews by the agency (e.g. PSC, EDB ...) to see if they are suitable EQ wise as well, before being offered the program when they are in JC/Uni.

I totally disagree on scholars based solely on academic merit. Some of these smart scholars aren't wise at all, can't think...

Through interview, you can't really tell whether the person can really work.
Sometime, I really can't understand how they can select scholar based on academic performance and through interviews.....

Through interview, you can't really tell whether the person can really work.
Sometime, I really can't understand how they can select scholar based on academic performance and through interviews.....

Similar to an IQ test... that really just measures your ability to take a test well.

I hope she doesnt lead us :bsmilie: That is some really very insensitive comments. 18 years old, yet to come out & work but mouth talk like cannon... ignorance & arrogance of the young.... tsk tsk...

I have to say that being academically gifted does not make one cut out for a job.

You cant refer to a textbook when sh*t hits the fan at work. ;)

Last edited:
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

As of now the ratio of yes:no is 9:1.
So 9 in 10 think singapore scholars cmi.

Since when can scholars LEVITATE hah?

hee hee :bsmilie:

Anyway, seriously speaking, in any organisation and in society, there are bound to be vertical layers.

People at the top often do not know what is happening on the ground level.

It takes a rare leader to be willing to "walk the talk" and "work the ground".

But back to your question, yes, I do believe that the scholars/elites are detached from the ground. This comes from feedback from my circle of friends who work in various govt affiliated organisations.

Very coincidentally I was reading up on Wee Shu Min's scandal (before chancing upon this thread)...

Pardon me, but if you look beyond wee shu min's apparent 'condescending' attitude. What she said does indeed make some sense? And in all honesty, wouldn't most of us consider her use of the English language rather splendid (though no doubt too acrid for most people's liking). [I agree that she should have been more sensitive with her words though]

I guess it's more of an 'ad hominem' in the sense that the general consensus regarding her post was in fact more directed at her age rather than the content/points she brought up?

Back to the topic, I do strongly agree that scholars/elites are seemingly detached. That being said, I wouldn't put all onus on them, they didn't chose not to know certain things, in contrast, I would say it's a lack of exposure from their parents/teachers etc. So much depends really on their upbringing, how much curiosity is nurtured etc.

Just ranting, regarding the 'elites', I'd draw the connection to present day photography. What we are facing are a bunch of 'Nouveau riche' kids who are able to afford photographic equipment and by that I mean literally any camera on the general consumer market but still unable to take 'proper' shots. I have a friend who after almost a year with his D90 asked me '...how to change shutter speed?'

Another one just after going to tampines: ' Wow, got 80c water...there's a WHOLE NEW WORLD about Singapore i didn't know'

My point is simple, we might laugh at their ignorance, whine at the fact that their actions are that of arrogant snobs who simply parade their wares, but at the same time fail to realize that it might not have been their fault to begin with.

So then, who do we turn to?

edit: ..i guess it's more pertinent to understand where this ignorance/sense of detachment stems from rather than say that they're ignorant/d and stopping at that.

Last edited:
My point is simple, we might laugh at their ignorance, whine at the fact that their actions are that of arrogant snobs who simply parade their wares, but at the same time fail to realize that it might not have been their fault to begin with.

oh please. You have completely lost the issue.

We are not bothered whether it is scholar's fault.

We are concerned about scholars being fast tracked to become future leaders of Singapore.

there is a chinese saying " wealth cannot last more than 3 generations.. " so people know which generation u are in now "

oh please. You have completely lost the issue.

We are not bothered whether it is scholar's fault.

We are concerned about scholars being fast tracked to become future leaders of Singapore.

Well said, oops.

'i guess it's more pertinent to understand where this ignorance/sense of detachment stems from rather than say that they're ignorant/d and stopping at that.'

Status
Not open for further replies.