Scenic spots in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemoon

Jan 25, 2005
Bukit Timah
Hi, I will be travelling to New Zealand South Island next year, wondering if anyone knows any great scenic locations or have any nice experiences to share? I've read up on all the popular tourist spots, but would love to hear about more secluded, out-of-the-way places ;) Can PM me if you wanna keep it secret heheh :bsmilie:

if you're talking about SCENIC for photography, do a flickr search is one way to go
check out if timecatcher has it , cross reference with google earth is another way to go

so many ways to go :)

Milford South
Catlins Coast(i dont know where it is but this beach have seals resting around)
Dunedin
Fox Glacier
Picton
Queenstown

I remember many years ago when I was studying in NZ, there used to be societies that organise walks in the countryside. I went on a few - we covered perhaps 15 - 18 miles in a day over hills and valleys, etc. in the South Island in Canterbury. The scenery there was just spectacular. Now I dream of the time when I can go to such treks or tramps. Perhaps in 2009 I might do just that!

i particularly like mount cook 'feel'....it's so cool and amazing....i cannot forget the driving experience there....speechless...

enjoy your holidays and do share with us your pix... ;p

:)

I remember many years ago when I was studying in NZ, there used to be societies that organise walks in the countryside. I went on a few - we covered perhaps 15 - 18 miles in a day over hills and valleys, etc. in the South Island in Canterbury. The scenery there was just spectacular. Now I dream of the time when I can go to such treks or tramps. Perhaps in 2009 I might do just that!

WOw you got to study in NZ, I envy you :D

Try to spend more time in Queenstown if possible
Lots of outdoor activities

hey just when there, except tt i was only in the north island so i wont be able to tell u anything except that nz is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for pics

have fun! (oh and bring a super WA lens)

IMO, South Island is better than North Island. :thumbsup:

You've been to both? Lucky you heh. From what I've read, I think I'd like South Island more, cos I'm a mountains and lakes kind of person, but I think North Island would be really exciting too, with all the volcanoes and stuff heh. Definitely warrants another visit in the future :D

Anyone know if slide film is easily available in NZ?

more senic from wat i heard

but then all that volcanic stuff is :thumbsup:, like bluemoon mentioned
btw north island does have nice stuff to take too;)

You've been to both? Lucky you heh. From what I've read, I think I'd like South Island more, cos I'm a mountains and lakes kind of person, but I think North Island would be really exciting too, with all the volcanoes and stuff heh. Definitely warrants another visit in the future :D

Anyone know if slide film is easily available in NZ?

more senic from wat i heard

but then all that volcanic stuff is :thumbsup:, like bluemoon mentioned
btw north island does have nice stuff to take too;)

Yeah, I've been to both. Not that there is nothing to take in the North. Just that, IMO, South is better than North comparatively. Yeah, the volcanic stuff are nice. They are colourful too. Try to visit Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. :)

Agreed, especially the drive to West Cost and Milford Sound(The tunnel). My recommendation time frame is 2 weeks. Happy shooting

Hi there,

I was there in mid november, where the season was turning to summer,
it was still very nice. I only managed to visit Dunedin & Queenstown, only shopped in Christchurch heehee.. anyways Dunedin is really nice.. especially on the way to the Larnarch Castle u can c Dunedin from a different aspect...~ and must take the Taieri Railway~
Queenstown is super nice! I love Queenstown so much.. din wan to come back to sg..

here's some pix to share...im still a newbie in photography.. so pardon me with my pictures.. ;)

show.php

show.php

show.php

show.php

show.php

show.php

show.php

Agreed, especially the drive to West Cost and Milford Sound(The tunnel). My recommendation time frame is 2 weeks. Happy shooting

Ya, from Queenstown to Milford Sound, can pass through Mirror Lake at Fiordland National Park, see Christy Falls and maybe see some Kea Alpine parrots (which are one of the largest parrots in the world), see lots of glasiers, visit The Chasm, pass through Homer Tunnel etc. Read more about the journey here: http://www.redboats.co.nz/milford-sound-cruises/430/The+Road+to+Milford+Sound.aspx

Aha, I've been up and down New Zealand, from the tip of SI to the tip of NI, yet I can barely remember any of the names. I remember Lake Tekapo and the area around Mount Cook as exceptionally spectacular though :)

Wow you all are getting me very excited heh. WIll be doing the Milford Track so won't be driving from Queenstown to Milford Sound, but will be taking the bus back..

Anyone been driven around the Catlins coast before? Gonna spend 2-3 days there, any nice spots to recommend there? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.