SCC Rugby Sevens 27(Sat) & 28(Sun) October 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

Apr 12, 2005
How time flies!

I remember vaguely that I went shooting pictures at this annual event only not long ago. Now it's here again.

http://www.sccrugbysevens.com/

http://www.sccrugbysevens.com/News.asp

2007Poster.jpg

upzz for u....i'll probably come on sun...sat have to work...

hey thanks! i was looking for info on this event.

Any idea how the photo competition works?

hey thanks! i was looking for info on this event.

Any idea how the photo competition works?

Frankly, I have no idea on how the photo competition works. :lovegrin:

Nice opportunity to do sports photography.
Thanks for sharing!

wun be able to make it... shooting whole of tml.. sunday think have to do my sch wrk alr.. projects n assignments starting to pile up.. my tele lens AND cam isnt exactly tat fast for sports shots as well..

for those who r going.. shoot more n hope to indulge in ur shots! ;p

is it free entrance?

Except for the main gallery (on one side of the field) which is reserved for invited guests, the rest is free entrance and free seating.

The sun's direction will be the key determinant of which side is better for taking pictures. Apparently, it's better to shoot facing the supreme court in the morning and shoot facing the Esplanade park in the afternoon to avoid backlit.

Except for the main gallery (on one side of the field) which is reserved for invited guests, the rest is free entrance and free seating.

The sun's direction will be the key determinant of which side is better for taking pictures. Apparently, it's better to shoot facing the supreme court in the morning and shoot facing the Esplanade park in the afternoon to avoid backlit.

wow, thanks for the tip!

any recommended lenses? im only d80 kit. :p

Will be there at least a bit on Saturday, and for half a day on Sunday. See yall there! (look for a tall guy with a 400D/70-200 f4 :p)

wow, thanks for the tip!

any recommended lenses? im only d80 kit. :p

The actions are usually quite far away and a 300mm lens on a 1.5x crop factor camera with a 35mm equivalent field of view of 450mm is needed.

With a short lens (less than 300mm equivalent field of view on 35mm format), you can only capture the near actions and you are left with shooting those actions at the sideline or touchline near to you. In such cases, positioning is very crucial. If one team is much stronger than the other (which often happens in ealier rounds) and you position yourself at the touchline of the stronger team, you're likely to get nothing as the weaker team cannot get pass to the last third of the stronger team. Even if you're on the touchline of the right team, the attack may be on the other side of the poles (i.e. right side when you're on the left side of touchline or left side when you're on the right side of touchline). :sweatsm:

A 70-300mm is barely sufficient on a 1.5x crop factor camera.

A bigma 50-500mm is ideal for actions at various distances.

BTW, I will be shooting with a prosumer camera. :lovegrin:

As usual, I'm there more for the sports actions than photography. ..... and believe me, there will be many pretty young things around (assuming this year is the same as the past).

The actions are usually quite far away and a 300mm lens on a 1.5x crop factor camera with a 35mm equivalent field of view of 450mm is needed.

With a short lens (less than 300mm equivalent field of view on 35mm format), you can only capture the near actions and you are left with shooting those actions at the sideline or touchline near to you. In such cases, positioning is very crucial. If one team is much stronger than the other (which often happens in ealier rounds) and you position yourself at the touchline of the stronger team, you're likely to get nothing as the weaker team cannot get pass to the last third of the stronger team. Even if you're on the touchline of the right team, the attack may be on the other side of the poles (i.e. right side when you're on the left side of touchline or left side when you're on the right side of touchline). :sweatsm:

A 70-300mm is barely sufficient on a 1.5x crop factor camera.

A bigma 50-500mm is ideal for actions at various distances.

BTW, I will be shooting with a prosumer camera. :lovegrin:

As usual, I'm there more for the sports actions than photography. ..... and believe me, there will be many pretty young things around (assuming this year is the same as the past).

you are right, was there in the morning. With my kit stuff, its a matter of luck whether the action comes close. I spent most of my shots shooting stuff other than the sporting action. Haha. But i did get to play with someone else's 600mm canon lens...pwah. First time using a such long range for sports...on a high. Haaa :sweatsm:

It did rain in the morning, now the sun is power...i saw more photographers arriving just after lunchtime. But had cover a friend's halloween party this evening, and my slippers gave way due to the muddy conditions. :bsmilie:

Will share pix much later, still have tomorrow rugby day too. Heh. Boots this time. :p
Thanks for the tips! And those i met there...Hi! Thanks! :lovegrin:

Saturday and Sunday Canon Singapore with the help of PHOTOVIDEOi have a new 600mm f4 IS USM and a 300mmf2.8 on show for photographers who want to try their hand at fast tight sports photography
check them when you come down today
;p

Saturday and Sunday Canon Singapore with the help of PHOTOVIDEOi have a new 600mm f4 IS USM and a 300mmf2.8 on show for photographers who want to try their hand at fast tight sports photography
check them when you come down today
;p

the lens was power....hehehe.... first time using above 500mm for sports. overawed i was. haaa :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.