Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToRide

Jun 19, 2003
WEST
Visit site
need tips on scanning..

I own a minolta scan dual III.

All my scans without fail have dust. i have tried blowing and brushing with anti dust brush but still somehow got dust. any tips to avoid this?

Eveytime have to use photoshop to patch up and quite irritatin and tedious.

I would also like advise from the pros on wat scanner settings u use . i use the default settings everytime.
From the net , they advise to scan at the highest resolution then edit in photoshop n store at a reasonable size.

Please do advise how to get a good scan, what settings r good and what typ do i save the images in like tiff, raw or jpeg.

BornToRide said:
need tips on scanning..

I own a minolta scan dual III.

All my scans without fail have dust. i have tried blowing and brushing with anti dust brush but still somehow got dust. any tips to avoid this?

Eveytime have to use photoshop to patch up and quite irritatin and tedious.

I would also like advise from the pros on wat scanner settings u use . i use the default settings everytime.
From the net , they advise to scan at the highest resolution then edit in photoshop n store at a reasonable size.

Please do advise how to get a good scan, what settings r good and what typ do i save the images in like tiff, raw or jpeg.

Faced the similar problem as you. Is your set still under warrenty? If it is then send it in for servicing.

u mean the dust is internal?...but its a brand new one...

BornToRide said:
u mean the dust is internal?...but its a brand new one...

Yup mine is internal. Did you clean your slides before you scanned them?

BornToRide said:

Maybe you can try to scan at max resolution and downside and save as a smaller file. example scan 2820 save as 1400 or something like that. It will help to remove effects of dust to some extent. :sweatsm:

Hi,

I have the same problem with dust. I usually clean them off with a cloth and blow them off after i mount it onto the tray. Doing this helps to reduce the amount of post processing later. I have not tried those antistatic cloth of gloves yet.

I scan my film at max resolution with both dust brush and pixel polish off as the dust brush sometimes takes film grain or fine details as dust.

Scanning negatives are a pain compared to slides. Have always enjoyed scanning slides.

Cheers!

forbytes said:
Maybe you can try to scan at max resolution and downside and save as a smaller file. example scan 2820 save as 1400 or something like that. It will help to remove effects of dust to some extent. :sweatsm:

And how does that help?

i always blow my slides n negs...
but still dust is present.
i dun believe it's internal cuz i used a lupe n minor particles r visible...after blowing or brushing away somehow they appear again. very frustrating.

using a cloth to wipe negative also generate statics which further attracts small size particles/dust to your negative. Blower is the best solution at this time.

Resizing or saving in a lower quality jpg does help in reducing the visibility of dust in digital images. why dust is irritating is because it has well defined colour contrast with for instance black sky. Dust is white on a black background on negative, confirm can see right.

Now if you perform a save as lower quality jpg, it dust will "blend" in slightly with the background. in JPG compression, it considers an area of pixel instead of every single pixel (such as BMP or TIFF). If you have both dust and black background in that area of pixel, it takes the average of 8x8 pixel or 10x10 pixel, depending on the algo, and represent that area with the average value. This is because your eyes "cannot" really tell the difference in that area. Contrast are usually loss in the process which can "minimise" the dust problem.

Resizing the image work in a similar way but not the exact way with compression. In resizing, an area is to be shrink into a small area or even a dot. If 9x9 pixel is going to be shrink into 1x1 pixel, what would the data be? In this manner, dust is "minimise".

Hope it clearify some doubts. No offence to anyone please. If a person demand high quality scan, then I suppose this method does not work for you and PS would be a good alternative. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.