Scanning Queries


Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Senior Member
#1
Hi,

New to scanners (don't even own one ;p ). Have a little question for the experts here (Ian? :) )

What's the difference in scanning in 300dpi, 100% scaling and 150dpi, 200% scaling? Does the latter involve interpolation?

The HP Scanjet 5470c's software (PrecisionScan) tends to recommend using scaling instead of increased dpi to get the size desired when I try to scan beyond like 300dpi.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
CK
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#2
Originally posted by ckiang
Hi,

New to scanners (don't even own one ;p ). Have a little question for the experts here (Ian? :) )

What's the difference in scanning in 300dpi, 100% scaling and 150dpi, 200% scaling? Does the latter involve interpolation?

The HP Scanjet 5470c's software (PrecisionScan) tends to recommend using scaling instead of increased dpi to get the size desired when I try to scan beyond like 300dpi.
Yes the latter involves interpolation of the image to a new resolution.

A lot of flatbed scanners use interpolation for higher resolution scanning due to optical system constraints in their designs and the accuracy of software interpolation is often superior to the optics in the scanner.

For a cheap sub 400 buck scanner the canon D1230U or N1230U is a hard unit to beat.
 

ckiang

Senior Member
#3
Originally posted by Ian


Yes the latter involves interpolation of the image to a new resolution.

A lot of flatbed scanners use interpolation for higher resolution scanning due to optical system constraints in their designs and the accuracy of software interpolation is often superior to the optics in the scanner.

For a cheap sub 400 buck scanner the canon D1230U or N1230U is a hard unit to beat.
Thought so. Flatbed scanners with a transparency unit tend not to do well with film scans. Well, the 5470c in office didn't. The likes of Canon D2400UF, Epson 2450 seems to do better, but I don't know for sure as I have no tried them yet. ;p

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Would you like to put a link to your "Black Art of Scanning" document here? Think people here will benefit quite a bit from it.

Regards
CK
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#4
Originally posted by ckiang


Would you like to put a link to your "Black Art of Scanning" document here? Think people here will benefit quite a bit from it.

Regards
CK
yeah me also novice in scanning.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom