Scanning old negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
Recently dug out a bunch of old negatives (8-10yrs old) from the store cupboard. Now I am in the process of archiving the negatives.
I faced alot of problems when archiving. The negative doesnt seem to produce the same colours as it ought to be. Is it the colour has faded? There is a strong colour cast towards yellow. I tried to use vuescan's restore fading option but this is not a fool proof method. Sometimes the alogorithm does not "know" what scene it is. (for eg a beach scene, where there are yellow sand. The program thinks that it is a colour cast then try to correct it, make a very blue hue to the scanned picture.
I tried to lock the film base colour by scanning a blank exposure of the negative strip, so that the programe can subtract the film base colour effectively when scanning. But it seems that, there still exist colour cast. So it brings me to the question... Is it true that certain colour dye fade faster than the other. If it is true, what is the colour i need to compensate back? :dunno:

What is a good software to scanning of negatives?

sweat100 said:
Recently dug out a bunch of old negatives (8-10yrs old) from the store cupboard. Now I am in the process of archiving the negatives.
I faced alot of problems when archiving. The negative doesnt seem to produce the same colours as it ought to be. Is it the colour has faded? There is a strong colour cast towards yellow. I tried to use vuescan's restore fading option but this is not a fool proof method. Sometimes the alogorithm does not "know" what scene it is. (for eg a beach scene, where there are yellow sand. The program thinks that it is a colour cast then try to correct it, make a very blue hue to the scanned picture.
I tried to lock the film base colour by scanning a blank exposure of the negative strip, so that the programe can subtract the film base colour effectively when scanning. But it seems that, there still exist colour cast. So it brings me to the question... Is it true that certain colour dye fade faster than the other. If it is true, what is the colour i need to compensate back? :dunno:

What is a good software to scanning of negatives?

Gee. I didn't know someone is going through and facing the same thing as I do. My story is almost like yours...a bunch of old negatives (8-10yrs old) and etc....
Sorry no solution to your questions from me but would like to know if you have any after this thread. :embrass:

Lemme dig out my old negatives and try it out. ;)

Meanwhile if anyone has experience in scanning old negatives and having a software do automatic colour restoration, do share with us.

ob1canob said:
Gee. I didn't know someone is going through and facing the same thing as I do. My story is almost like yours...a bunch of old negatives (8-10yrs old) and etc....
Sorry no solution to your questions from me but would like to know if you have any after this thread. :embrass:

Hi, i have come up with some workarounds after so many errors i faced. 3 days to scan 12 rolls of film! :eek: If u are using vuescan (I believe other software also have the same functions) First, you have to lock ur film base colour by scanning a blank negative, usually found in the leader portion of the negative. After which u do a preview, you set it to manual colour correction. Try to reduce the neutral blue component by around 40% and neutral green by around 5 to 10%. Neutral red adjust up by 3-5%. This will give u more or less the colour you wanted. But then it is not 100% accurate. This is based on my experience in scanning kodak negatives. The kodak gold 200-5. You have to recalibrate after each roll of film as the generations, make, age are different. I hope there are better solutions (eg, how many yrs, must compensate colour cast by how much)

Status
Not open for further replies.