Scanning film


Status
Not open for further replies.
K

konei

Guest
#1
I have about 30 rolls of negatives that I hope to convert to digital to keep. However, knowing that the shops usually charge $10 per roll, I'm wondering if I should just buy/borrow a flm scanner and do all the scanning myself.

Does anyone know if the cheaper film scanner like the microtek 35T produces good results ? Or should I just send them to the photo shops and let them do it ? BTW, what is their scanning resolution anyway ?

Thanks for advice.
 

#2
Originally posted by konei
I have about 30 rolls of negatives that I hope to convert to digital to keep. However, knowing that the shops usually charge $10 per roll, I'm wondering if I should just buy/borrow a flm scanner and do all the scanning myself.

Does anyone know if the cheaper film scanner like the microtek 35T produces good results ? Or should I just send them to the photo shops and let them do it ? BTW, what is their scanning resolution anyway ?

Thanks for advice.
Send to the shop. For Fuji, resolution is 18xx by 12xx. For Kodak Express outlets, typically 1536 x 1024. Don't bother using any of the flatbeds with film adaptors, they are generally quite bad.

Regards
CK
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#3
Someone selling Canon FS2710 at S$400, u might wanna check it out.
 

#5
juz to ask how does a film scanner work....does it work the same way as a normal scanner?

er...one more thing...how much do they charge for one roll usually? any recommandations?
 

#6
Originally posted by AqUaRiU5
juz to ask how does a film scanner work....does it work the same way as a normal scanner?

er...one more thing...how much do they charge for one roll usually? any recommandations?
You put the film in, click something, wait, and you get the scan. Something like a flat bed but on a much smaller scale, and higher precision.

Colour Lab (Adelphi) charges an additional $9.90 per roll if you let the develop + print your negative film; $12.00 for a pre-processed roll of negs. If you want scan + develop only, it's $13.50.

Regards
CK
 

#7
hmm...how bout developing and printing them in 4R....wait...izzit both developing and printing the same?? *confused*...

when u say scan....they will burn them in a cd for u rite?
 

#8
Originally posted by AqUaRiU5
hmm...how bout developing and printing them in 4R....wait...izzit both developing and printing the same?? *confused*...

when u say scan....they will burn them in a cd for u rite?
Develop means the will only develop the film, you get back only the negative(s) and no photo prints.

Develop + scan will give you the developed negs + a CD of the images.

Develop + scan will give you the develope negs, CD of the images, and 4R (or whatever size) pics.

Regards
CK
 

#9
hmm...thankx alot :D

er...u guys go any recommandations?
reasonable price for scan+develop+print?....

esp. scanning...find tt adelphi is kinda expensive though...
 

#12
Originally posted by AqUaRiU5
haiz....since u say tt...den anywhere where both the prints and the digitalized shots look good....i guess adelphi?
Colour Lab, Foto Hub (OUB, Raffles Place), Foto Friend (Penisula, have not tried their prints but scans are good), RGB - even more expensive, Konota (haven't tried, but people said they are good), can also try any of those Kodak Express outlets with a digital service, or Fuji Digital Imaging service at some Fuji minilabs. All around the same price. :(

Regards
CK
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#14
ckiang, can don't print by roll? wat about they are mounted, can bring my album to them and tell them which one i want to scan.
 

#15
Originally posted by ninelives
ckiang, can don't print by roll? wat about they are mounted, can bring my album to them and tell them which one i want to scan.
For individual negative scans, it costs $1.00 each for 1st 10, $0.70 for subsequent. Mininum 10. Not worth it.

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom