scanner


Status
Not open for further replies.

joeysam

New Member
Jul 1, 2003
7
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#1
i have a lot of photos which i wanna convert to soft copies...these photos are not of very good resolution...will a better scanner turn up better soft copies? any recommendations? how abt a film scanner? will tt be a better alternative to a conventional scanner?
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#2
joeysam said:
i have a lot of photos which i wanna convert to soft copies...these photos are not of very good resolution...will a better scanner turn up better soft copies? any recommendations? how abt a film scanner? will tt be a better alternative to a conventional scanner?
Think a film scanner would be better. I use a Minolta Scandual III. Scanned pictures are very decent. Only gripe is that it does not have ICE so sometimes there is a lot of dust on my scanned pics.
 

joeysam

New Member
Jul 1, 2003
7
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#3
coke21 said:
Think a film scanner would be better. I use a Minolta Scandual III. Scanned pictures are very decent. Only gripe is that it does not have ICE so sometimes there is a lot of dust on my scanned pics.
how much did u pay for ur film scanner? wat's ICE? but it's unlikely tt i'll use film ever again...so kinda waste to buy one...
 

Dec 11, 2003
69
0
0
Visit site
#4
joeysam said:
i have a lot of photos which i wanna convert to soft copies...these photos are not of very good resolution...will a better scanner turn up better soft copies? any recommendations? how abt a film scanner? will tt be a better alternative to a conventional scanner?
if the quailty of your printout is bad, a better scanner would be hard to do any better job.
if the image recorded on your neg is actually well, we will of course get a better image by scanning from the negative itself.
general advantage of a film scanner to a consumer flatbed scanner would be
1. higher resolution
2. able to load by strips( so you can jus leave it to scan for the whole strip)

to decide to get a film scanner, a flatbed scanner or get someone to scan for you, prehaps you would wan to look into some of the points:
dev shops actually do offer conversion from neg to CD, prehaps you would wanna check out thier price to see if it worth getting a scanner to scan yourself. price of the dual 3 is abt 500+ new, 400+ 2nd hand, and nikon scanner cheapest to be 1k+. so do weight out if it worth acuiqing if you are jus gonna use it once.
do however note tat most shops will give you image of much lesser res then wat their scanner can give you(though it often enough for prints of 4-8R, thus you might wanna test scan a roll with them to see if you are satisfly with the scan result first.)
and if you do wan to scan the neg yourself, do rem tat scanning also involves colour correction, dust n scratch removal which is IMHO a very tedious procedure if you wan to get a good image.


Digital ICE, is a tech in high end scanner to remove scatch n dust.

cheers=p
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#5
joeysam said:
how much did u pay for ur film scanner? wat's ICE? but it's unlikely tt i'll use film ever again...so kinda waste to buy one...
Paid ard $500 for it. Got it second hand. ICE stards for Image Correction Enhancement. It basically removes the dust and scratches on your negatives when you scan them.
 

joeysam

New Member
Jul 1, 2003
7
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#6
Jus_a_Nick said:
if the quailty of your printout is bad, a better scanner would be hard to do any better job.
if the image recorded on your neg is actually well, we will of course get a better image by scanning from the negative itself.
general advantage of a film scanner to a consumer flatbed scanner would be
1. higher resolution
2. able to load by strips( so you can jus leave it to scan for the whole strip)

to decide to get a film scanner, a flatbed scanner or get someone to scan for you, prehaps you would wan to look into some of the points:
dev shops actually do offer conversion from neg to CD, prehaps you would wanna check out thier price to see if it worth getting a scanner to scan yourself. price of the dual 3 is abt 500+ new, 400+ 2nd hand, and nikon scanner cheapest to be 1k+. so do weight out if it worth acuiqing if you are jus gonna use it once.
do however note tat most shops will give you image of much lesser res then wat their scanner can give you(though it often enough for prints of 4-8R, thus you might wanna test scan a roll with them to see if you are satisfly with the scan result first.)
and if you do wan to scan the neg yourself, do rem tat scanning also involves colour correction, dust n scratch removal which is IMHO a very tedious procedure if you wan to get a good image.


Digital ICE, is a tech in high end scanner to remove scatch n dust.

cheers=p
thanks for enlightening me...think i'll go check out e dev shops... :)
 

joeysam

New Member
Jul 1, 2003
7
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#7
coke21 said:
Paid ard $500 for it. Got it second hand. ICE stards for Image Correction Enhancement. It basically removes the dust and scratches on your negatives when you scan them.
thanks for helping to clear my doubts... :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom