scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andslm

Does anyone know what scanner that can scan both print and film/slides ? how much is it cost ?

i presume u asking for a flatbed since u wanna scan print..

the review for Epson 1650 Photo seems to be quite good for print and slides and not too good for neg. can find the review at www.cnet.com. the last price i know for this is $470.

but now got newer one out.. Epson 2450.. Very good scan for print and slides and not bad for neg. this one i dunno how much. shld be ard $600+

i'm still deciding which one to get... :dunno:

Originally posted by andslm
Does anyone know what scanner that can scan both print and film/slides ? how much is it cost ?

Nikon Coolscan IV
USB 1.1 Interface, 2900dpi(Variable), 12 Bit A/D, Support 35mm(135)Film and Slide, IX240 Film(APS), Slide Glass for microscope. Bundled with Strip Film Adapter, Slide Adapter and Strip Film Holder.
Cost : abt $1.2k

Well if you are talking abt those film scanner, it come in prices like abt 1-1.2K and the more expensive one ........ which I don't even dare to ask the price.

They are delicated film scanner adn some of the better known one are from Canon and Nikon.

There are oso other type of scanner, the flatbed type with film adapter. Not sure abt those but it def cost less then the delicated ones...

It depends on what you're looking for. If you just want to get your pictures straight to web, then go for the flatbed scanners with film adapters. If you want to scan for archival purposes or to touch up then reprint, get a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan IV or beyond even. Unless, of course you have too much money to spend or very picky about colours, etc etc. True, the colours may not be as dynamic as the dedicated film scanners or comes with dust removal options and all... but at 30-40% of the price...

Originally posted by Richard
It depends on what you're looking for. If you just want to get your pictures straight to web, then go for the flatbed scanners with film adapters. If you want to scan for archival purposes or to touch up then reprint, get a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan IV or beyond even. Unless, of course you have too much money to spend or very picky about colours, etc etc. True, the colours may not be as dynamic as the dedicated film scanners or comes with dust removal options and all... but at 30-40% of the price...

I don't know about the other flatbed scanners with film adaptors, but HP 5470c doesn't do negative scans that well, it does slides better. Yeah, web use is pretty okay though.

The other method you want to explore is to actually use a digital camera to shoot the slide/neg, as megaweb have experimented:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2240

Regards
CK

Originally posted by megaweb

Nikon Coolscan IV
USB 1.1 Interface, 2900dpi(Variable), 12 Bit A/D, Support 35mm(135)Film and Slide, IX240 Film(APS), Slide Glass for microscope. Bundled with Strip Film Adapter, Slide Adapter and Strip Film Holder.
Cost : abt $1.2k

wah...not to high end one lah....$1.2k is too x...unless i planning to open some slide and film processing hehehe...

Originally posted by andslm

wah...not to high end one lah....$1.2k is too x...unless i planning to open some slide and film processing hehehe...

ya ... $1.2k is also too expensive for me .. :(

if you want to scan slides and post the pictures at the forum , you can try to setup your DC to take the slides to digital image. I have done some experiment and the result is not really bad. click here for more detail ....

if you want to scan slides and use it for printing , I suggest you get a good film/slides scanner.

If you can, make appointments with Canon, Hp and Canon so that they can do their demos @ their showrooms...just make sure you bring your prints and negatives/positives along too!

A picture still paints more than a thousand words! ;)

andslm, check out the Feb Issue of Practical Mag. They have reviewed a few models. Flatbed and Dedicated Flim Scanner.

You might want to consider the Microtek ScanMaker 4800, resolution 1200*2400dpi(optical) . Which coat $300>

Epson Perfection 2450 : 2400* 4800 dpi , cost is $600 >

I may want to consider the Minolta Scan Elite II. cost is $1500 >

Originally posted by AdamGoi
If you can, make appointments with Canon, Hp and Canon so that they can do their demos @ their showrooms...just make sure you bring your prints and negatives/positives along too!

A picture still paints more than a thousand words! ;)

When I was shopping for a flatbed for my office, I found that the HP showrooms won't demo the 5470c which has a film adaptor. Canon and Epson has no problems showing it to me.

Regards
CK

wah....thanks for all advise...

i just need the scan to scan my own slide/negative, so i can keep it longer with digital data.

anyway, maybe i try megaweb idea.....but don't know, can it use wiht my G2?

thanks......

If you're planning to archive. Go for a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan.

Status
Not open for further replies.