Scanner Comparison: Epson V700 vs Canon Canoscan 9000F

ykc2011

Jul 7, 2011
Here are 2 more photos... comparing tiff files rather than jpegs.

img 65 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Andrew by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

img 066 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Marc by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

I personally feel that the Epson is able to give you better details. But I've not been known to have a great eye for detail.
For example, look at the "eyeballs" in the above 2 photos.... with the Epson, you are able to see greater details and shades of grey, while with the Canon, the eyes are an eerie solid black.
Initially, I thought that was how Rollei films rendered eyes, I'm glad that's not the case.

I hope this post generates some interesting discussions.

Last edited:
regarding the v700, i usually adjust the curves before i scan, ie,
i leave the left "black" marker alone, but i usually adjust the white
marker to cover the right side of the histogram.

what i get is a rich but low contrast image which i adjust in PP for
contrast and brightness.

there are many other good suggestions, eg. scan at 4800 and then downsample,
or scan at 16-bit etc, use of anti-newton rings to flatten the negatives,
but the most impactful for me is to adjust the curves before
scanning.

raytoei

Thanks Ray. Do you adjust the input or output markers? Do you know how to save the settings such that I dont have to do it everytime?
I actually scan BnW negatives in full color, then adjust each RGB curve. Thereafter the output is adjusted in PP for contrast and brightness. Then last step convert to black and white.

I feel that with the V700, scanning in color vs BnW gives slightly sharper images with more details. Give it a try and see?

What software are you using? I tried a few but settled on Vuescan. I have to try scanning as color, as you put it.

Thanks Ray. Do you adjust the input or output markers? Do you know how to save the settings such that I dont have to do it everytime?
I actually scan BnW negatives in full color, then adjust each RGB curve. Thereafter the output is adjusted in PP for contrast and brightness. Then last step convert to black and white.

I feel that with the V700, scanning in color vs BnW gives slightly sharper images with more details. Give it a try and see?

Using epson scan out of the box. What's ur experience with silverfast and vuescan? More urgency for me to get photoshop or Lightroom now. Any recommendations on pp software?

Using epson scan out of the box. What's ur experience with silverfast and vuescan? More urgency for me to get photoshop or Lightroom now. Any recommendations on pp software?

I feel Epson scan is quite weak. At least upgrade to SilverFast SE Plus 8. The multi exposure allows for better DR, more effective noise removal and brings out the shadow details better.
SilverFast Multi-Exposure :: LaserSoft Imaging

I think LR makes it easy to make basic adjustments and is very useful.

I used Epson scan till a month ago, then switched to Vuescan. I think the epson program is capable enough for most purposes. However, Vuescan has an option to scan and down sample in one go, which I use. With the epson, I would scan at 6400 then down sample to 3200 dpi in photoshop.

since I shoot 99% b&w, multi exposure etc are not useful to me. Those are for slides.

i do all my pp in Lightroom. It is ideal, and the new version 5 has better dust and scratch removal tools, so try that out.

Last edited:
Nice comparison.
Sort of correlates to what I see from my 9000f scans (ie. less DR or a tendancy towards overexposure and less detail)
However, I took the DSLR+macro lens route rather than the hassle of another scanner. (but thats me)

Epson V700 lives up to its reputation as the best low priced scanner (in film scanner terms) for film scanning.

Nice comparison.
Sort of correlates to what I see from my 9000f scans (ie. less DR or a tendancy towards overexposure and less detail)
However, I took the DSLR+macro lens route rather than the hassle of another scanner. (but thats me)

Epson V700 lives up to its reputation as the best low priced scanner (in film scanner terms) for film scanning.

how do you keep film flat when you are using the dslr method? do you think dslr method produce better result than V700? i am new to scanner, but thinking to either try dslr method or get a v700 (the only scanner i know.. haha.. I heard alot of complaints about using scanner, so i am trying to avoid)

Thanks for putting up these scans, ykc2011. It is very useful.
How much did you get it for?

No problem beeyeye, I've benefited a lot from discussion threads on CS, so I thought I would contribute something back.
I got the scanner brand new in box for 720. Box was beat up, but no issues with the scanner. Had full warranty from Epson.

Spent a good part of the weekend going through more of my old negatives. Here are a few more scans to share.

Illford HP5 Plus

Illford HP5Plus400 exposed at ISO800 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

So far, the most obvious difference I've been able to spot between both scanners is when I scanned the Rollei Retro 80S film, or maybe films with a clear base. With the Canon, clear base negatives came out totally OVEREXPOSED. With the Epson, the results are a bit more pleasant.

Rollei Retro 80S

img158-Grayscale-022 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Rollei Retro 80s by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Another clear base film... Fuji ACROS100

Fuji ACROS100

img152-Grayscale-014 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Marc @ ISO 200 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Note that with the Canon, I had to do extensive post-processing to get the "overexposure" under control. With the Epson, the above scan is "out of the box", no pp.

Last edited:
Enough of black and white, let's take a look at some color scans....

Kodak Elite Chrome 100... i believe this is a slide film. All scanned single pass... i dont know how to do double pass on the epson, yet. No dust removal, no use of ICE or other proprietary enhancement software, all straight out of box.

img119 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Andrew by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

I cant recall if I did any pp on the canon scans as they were too long ago, the Epson scans were straight out of the box again.

img117 by yeoyeoyeo, on Flickr

Last edited: