Scanner Choices

anyways, would also like to share another point... there is a limit to how much information u can retrieve from film if i'm not mistaken.

the resolution of an image isnt just depended on the medium (in this case film). it has to do with the resolving power of the lens and the medium... if u get a cheapish lens with low resolving power... u can scan as much as u want at god knows what DPI... image still gonna look bad.

so... digital archiving is actually a pretty good way, assuming u max out the amount of info from the film u scan... dun think even when higher DPI come out, u can get more information from it... it is a good way of storing images imho.

let me know if i'm mistaken at any point

I finally get my drum scanner setup. will do a introduction for those who are interested and would like to know a bit more on drum PMT scanner.
Still busy till end of year. (Enjoy dancing with clouds).
Probably one of the sunday afternoon 2012 Jan, before chinese new year.
pm/sms me if you are interested to join.

some basic info:

7000 dpi or more
DMax 4.0 or more
DRange 4.0 or more
14 bit
weigth 500kg or more
age 20 years old or more

Tone/luminosity/ USM//colour correction via onboard computer, user programe able.

(non commercial activity)

Last edited:
U may bring one if your original plus the original scan file and edited file, if possible we can make a scan to see the difference.

Interesting to see how good these old scanners are. I had a surprising experience myself, when I digger out my 12 year old polaroid scanner, and figured that new brand new scanners are hardly any better . Scanner technology has not improved so much ( specially on the high end) . Same with lenses ...those 30 to 40 year old zeiss and rodenstock lenses are as sharp as new once.

Electronic scanner in the peak was 1970-1990, very high in quality both design/build and quality.

zk-diq , I will bring back some Adox 25 asa ultra high res films ( 800 lp/mm) from my xmas vacation. I will shoot with high res Zeiss planar ( around 400 lp/mm) , or Voigtlander.
Then we can try out your drum scanner

Interesting to see how good these old scanners are. I had a surprising experience myself, when I digger out my 12 year old polaroid scanner, and figured that new brand new scanners are hardly any better . Scanner technology has not improved so much ( specially on the high end) . Same with lenses ...those 30 to 40 year old zeiss and rodenstock lenses are as sharp as new once.

I still remember uncle roger word about scanner and macro lens, damn drama and useful.
"A decent and good macro lens cost around $300 in the market, what makes you think that your $300 scanner has such a lens."

Well better than flatbed with no lens, but i can scan document with flatbed ;p

@ uncle roger
I'm nt sure if kgston brought in his kami fluid already. If so, you can get some from him if you don't have. Inform me of the date and if i can make it, i bring some stabilizer over to celebrate :)

wootsk said:
@ uncle roger
I'm nt sure if kgston brought in his kami fluid already. If so, you can get some from him if you don't have. Inform me of the date and if i can make it, i bring some stabilizer over to celebrate :)

Yup, its in already..let me know if you all are interested..:)

just back from segamat, I used paraffin oil, well we can try kami fluid. not so messy.
how is your baby doing?
you should be able to pull out more information/tone from film with PMT sensor with different setting of lookup table or high light and shadow setup point.

zk-diq said:
just back from segamat, I used paraffin oil, well we can try kami fluid. not so messy.
how is your baby doing?
you should be able to pull out more information/tone from film with PMT sensor with different setting of lookup table or high light and shadow setup point.

Haha..its doing good..have to find the time and effort to do some wet mounting and it8 calibration..

I was asked the difference between CCD and PMT.
Is a long story. However I quote a statement from a engineer who is specialize in light sensor also looooong time ago.

CCD works like ruler. Fix and measure accordingly.

Photomultiplier works like rubber-band, it can stretch and contract according to parameter input.