Scanner Choices

Haha..like that say will break a lot of people's heart leh :p

I haven't reproduce all those words that uncle roger use to break my heart first:bsmilie:

It causes quite bad effect where I dream I have a drum scanner without a PMT tube. I woke up and thought that my boster is the tube for a few minutes.

allo bro, I only try to provide you some of the hidden factor/knowledge.:)

allo bro, I only try to provide you some of the hidden factor/knowledge.:)

It's my fault, I choose to absorb everything and find more about the painful truth. Everything just feel more painful. Maybe some baking powder from roger can ease the pain:bsmilie:. I am getting more and more thick skin liao, just ordered the chemical from EBay and some Shanghai 4*5 from a SG shop...

It's my fault, I choose to absorb everything and find more about the painful truth. Everything just feel more painful. Maybe some baking powder from roger can ease the pain:bsmilie:. I am getting more and more thick skin liao, just ordered the chemical from EBay and some Shanghai 4*5 from a SG shop...

which sg shop selling shanghai film?

They don't sell, but boss say willing to help me order :D.
Chatting with boss while helping my friend to get some Shanghai 120 rolls, last 2 rolls on shelf.:p

The resource are easily available around in the net.
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/Dichte.html
http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html

The only problem is because:
1. The people knows the fact, but high end scanner aren't cheap.
2. People who doesn't knows about it, no one explain such stuff to them, so they are either lost due to marketing facts or think that they fully understand it.;)

The first link you provided, some typo error in range of density, it should read
"slide " 3.6
and negative

The first link you provided, some typo error in range of density, it should read
"slide " 3.6
and negative

Oh, PS I just copy and paste some google search.;p

Anyway, as for now, I am still enjoying my 135 with a silide projector. I am wondering if I should use my F1 for 4*5 projection or just contact print. Still not intending to scan as I don't see a point to share photos online. Sorry

Last edited:
Oh, PS I just copy and paste some google search.;p

Anyway, as for now, I am still enjoying my 135 with a silide projector. I am wondering if I should use my F1 for 4*5 projection or just contact print. Still not intending to scan as I don't see a point to share photos online. Sorry

Haha, that is a bit extreme. Without sharing, how to learn?
For larger format negative (BW/colour) a true maximum density of 2.7 and optical resolution 1200dpi is good enough for most of us 2-5x enlargement, and to have seamless blends more bits are better.

Unlike photo mechanical dodge and burn with film, when you burn/dodge your tiff file, no additional detail will add on. Have a good scanner/hardware is important., and learn how to fully utilize it.

If I can find my sample, I will just post it.

Haha, that is a bit extreme. Without sharing, how to learn?
For larger format negative (BW/colour) a true maximum density of 2.7 and optical resolution 1200dpi is good enough for most of us 2-5x enlargement, and to have seamless blends more bits are better.

Unlike photo mechanical dodge and burn with film, when you burn/dodge your tiff file, no additional detail will add on. Have a good scanner/hardware is important., and learn how to fully utilize it.

If I can find my sample, I will just post it.

How to learn???:dunno: I like the idea of you either watch my developed slides or help me print.:bsmilie: If someday I want to scan another digital, it will also be a few mostlikely. I will visit kgston and pay him to lend me his coolscan, external HDD can bring myself:bsmilie:. Nowadays, I am dreaming that I am developing a 8*10 and later viewing it with my Loupe on my living room light table.:sweat:

How to learn???:dunno: I like the idea of you either watch my developed slides or help me print.:bsmilie: If someday I want to scan another digital, it will also be a few mostlikely. I will visit kgston and pay him to lend me his coolscan, external HDD can bring myself:bsmilie:. Nowadays, I am dreaming that I am developing a 8*10 and later viewing it with my Loupe on my living room light table.:sweat:

If you shoot 8*10.. even I cannot help you.. haha;)

If you shoot 8*10.. even I cannot help you.. haha;)

Contact print will do. You get very good detail.
Trying a few scanner, hope can have one is cheap and good.:)

Agreed.. the bigger your film, the less you need to enlarge therefore you can make do with a cheaper scanner... unless you you are planning to paste on the side of the national library.. haha:eek:

I want a slide projector that big and strong lamp to project on the side of national library.:bsmilie:
Considering my current status, my F1 will upgrade to a 8*10 by mid of next year. (Need even more solid tripod, darkroom for tray developing and source for the film) The only problem is lugging my 4*5 up the train now already took some space, busy train is harder to board already.

Last edited:
view6.jpg

3 in 1 scanner/printer.

$300 plus, cheap an good.

zk-diq said:
3 in 1 scanner/printer.

$300 plus, cheap an good.

What printer/scanner is this?

haha.. tsk tsk.. very misleading leh;p

He's referring to prints only if I'm not mistaken.. Nearly any consumer level scanner can scan prints reasonably well^^

The first problem is that people thinks is that this is from a 135 which is a misleading factor. I guess shouldn't be type but rather format. Pardon my previous post

calebk, it is a canon pixma . The salesman intro to me this one is (in hockian)

......... ...."Cheap/Good and Big".... ....... ....

connect via wifi and scan direct to your computer or iphone. Scan as 300dpi default no adjustment, usm/curve/level etc. I compare visually with my print, and is about 80% close to the original.

BTW the original is a contact print from 4x5 neg. Density highlight is 0.07 to shadow 1.8, look at the histogram of the scan image, I estimate the scanner CCD enable to see to 2.3 and higher. with out the grey scale only aga aga,

calebk, it is a canon pixma . The salesman intro to me this one is (in hockian)

......... ...."Cheap/Good and Big".... ....... ....

connect via wifi and scan direct to your computer or iphone. Scan as 300dpi default no adjustment, usm/curve/level etc. I compare visually with my print, and is about 80% close to the original.

BTW the original is a contact print from 4x5 neg. Density highlight is 0.07 to shadow 1.8, look at the histogram of the scan image, I estimate the scanner CCD enable to see to 2.3 and higher. with out the grey scale only aga aga,

I thought you will always print with the chart? Anyway, the change in black at the top doesn't looks like it is able to see that high.
Off topic: Someday I will project a 8 * 10 photo on the side of National Library.:bsmilie:
Off topic2: Got read about the new meet up idea on the old E6 post?;)