Scanner Choices

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
H guys, I was contemplating on the purchase of a scanner and I figured, if every roll costs $6-9 on average, I'd probably justify a scanner once I shoot and scan about 20 rolls of film, which isn't too far off since I'm already at number 7.

What scanners are good at a low price point. Obviously as with everything photography, good, cheap, fast, pick two. Speed is not so much an issue here, and I've actually had a hands on with the CanoScan 5600F. It's a tad bit slow but the results are more or less to my liking, and the Canon software works well enough for me. Just wondering if the CanoScan LiDE 700F would be able to do a similar job, or whether there are any other good scanners for the price point of around S$200?

This is my 2 cents worth.

under 300, you can probably buy a canon 8800f.

if you can, save up and get a Epson V600, a bit more expensive but I think it scanners better than the 8800F.

one comments is that if you buy second hand, do make sure that the scanner scan sharply.

I had a 8800f which i suspected was not properly focused. Do u know how hard it is to convince the store that your unit is not working as it should ?! In the end, i brought the scanner back, installed the software on the demo PC and we did 2 scans, one on my unit and one on the store unit. It was then the exchange was allowed. Imagine you buy a second hand and trying to tell the owner that his unit was not scanning sharply...

If I had to do it again, i would save up and buy the epson v700 or the more expensive v750. This is because I develop and scan about 5 rolls a week, and I still think my images are still lacking from the 35mm negatives. One thing I learnt recently is the the dmax of the scanner is important, not just dpi.

raytoei

This is my 2 cents worth.

........... and I still think my images are still lacking from the 35mm negatives. One thing I learnt recently is the the dmax of the scanner is important, not just dpi.

raytoei

:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm a bit puzzled though, because the Canon and Epson sites don't display D-max or D-range in their specs list.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm a bit puzzled though, because the Canon and Epson sites don't display D-max or D-range in their specs list.

Second a 8800f too for your budget.. Sometimes you might be better off not knowing.. ignorance is bliss:)

I bought a 2nd hand Canoscan 9000f off B&S few months ago... Owner only used it for 2-3months and decided to let it go... condition was good and I bought it slightly cheaper than RRP. I'm glad I bought it.. Just be patient and i'm sure you can catch a good deal.

Second a 8800f too for your budget.. Sometimes you might be better off not knowing.. ignorance is bliss:)

How is the grey scale test scan result? Which step you can read up to?

zk-diq said:
How is the grey scale test scan result? Which step you can read up to?

If I recall correctly, up to the second last step..but the difference btwn 2nd and 3rd last is very close..need a good and calibrated monitor to see..haha

If I recall correctly, up to the second last step..but the difference btwn 2nd and 3rd last is very close..need a good and calibrated monitor to see..haha

is about D3.0, if you can hold both step 1 to last step, then the Dynamic range is around 2.9, if not, the workable range should be between 2.5 - 2.8 for your scanner.

zk-diq said:
is about D3.0, if you can hold both step 1 to last step, then the Dynamic range is around 2.9, if not, the workable range should be between 2.5 - 2.8 for your scanner.

Haha..yea..I reckoned as much..specs put 3.6 if I'm not wrong..but of cos can't expect that much la..reality is usually harsh..haha..

Haha..yea..I reckoned as much..specs put 3.6 if I'm not wrong..but of cos can't expect that much la..reality is usually harsh..haha..

you can plot a chart to check your scanner luminance tone curve with the grey scale. 1 axis is the read out of each step from your computer either 0-255 or 1-100%, the other axis is the density of the original scale.:)

I miss out the line of density data for you to compute.
Wedge Step:

Original Density and actual readout density:
1=0.09 -----.09
2=0.25 -----.25
3=0.41 -----.42
4=0.57 -----.6
5=0.73 -----.74
6=0.89 -----.9
7=1.05 -----1.06
8=1.21 -----1.23
9=1.37 -----1.40
10=1.53 -----1.55
11=1.69 -----1.71
12=1.85 -----1.87
13=2.01 -----2.02
14=2.17 -----2.17
15=2.33 -----2.32
16=2.49 -----2.48
17=2.65 -----2.62
18=2.81 -----2.80
19=2.97 -----2.94

Compute a graph and you learn how to control and map your tone.:)

Last edited:
I miss out the line of density data for you to compute.
Wedge Step:

Original Density and actual readout density:
1=0.09 -----.09
2=0.25 -----.25
3=0.41 -----.42
4=0.57 -----.6
5=0.73 -----.74
6=0.89 -----.9
7=1.05 -----1.06
8=1.21 -----1.23
9=1.37 -----1.40
10=1.53 -----1.55
11=1.69 -----1.71
12=1.85 -----1.87
13=2.01 -----2.02
14=2.17 -----2.17
15=2.33 -----2.32
16=2.49 -----2.48
17=2.65 -----2.62
18=2.81 -----2.80
19=2.97 -----2.94

Compute a graph and you learn how to control and map your tone.:)

Nice.. haha.. but now quite busy with work...Will try to figure this thing out when my break comes around...lols..

Nice.. haha.. but now quite busy with work...Will try to figure this thing out when my break comes around...lols..

Note: This is density data for you to use on x or y-axis. you need another set read from your photoshop or similar program with your scan in grey scale either in percent 1-100 or value 0-255, plot a curve.:)

zk-diq said:
Note: This is density data for you to use on x or y-axis. you need another set read from your photoshop or similar program with your scan in grey scale either in percent 1-100 or value 0-255, plot a curve.:)

Yup, noted..though I can understand how such information can be useful..I can't see a good method to apply this concept to reality.. Either use it to create a icc profile, which nikon scan doesn't support or create a "counter"curve that forces the grey values to be linear wrt to density.. Am I like making sense? Haha..btw quite OT here..lols..

virtualme78 said:
while you guys are discussing about dmax on a scanner, maybe you can explain to us about dmax at a more layman level?

Dmax its the maximum density a sensor can differentiate..actually what we are more interested in is the dynamic range of the sensor. Given pure white and pure black and with steps in between, how many different steps can the scanner sensor differentiate before it just lumps it as pure black or white..
So in this sense, there should be a Dmin value to determine the minimum density before it clips to white..
Problem is that manufactures don't publish this data..and even if they do..they add a lot of "salt" to the values..so this makes it hard to determine the actual capabilities of different scanners in the market and of the scanner itself..

Note: this is also applicable to dslr sensors..except it is not as crucial when compared to scanning..

Yup, noted..though I can understand how such information can be useful..I can't see a good method to apply this concept to reality.. Either use it to create a icc profile, which nikon scan doesn't support or create a "counter"curve that forces the grey values to be linear wrt to density.. Am I like making sense? Haha..btw quite OT here..lols..

ZONE control, digital way. A skill technic of expend, compress shadow/mid tone/highlight from film not from digital file.;)