Scanned images...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoTime

Jun 9, 2004
Hi,

I am trying to scan the negatives of my MF wedding photo using Epson 1200U Flatbed scanner. After scanning, I discovered that the edges are darker then the central portion. Is there any way to rectify this situation in Photoshop?

Also, I find that there are some thin lines running across the scanned images, does anybody has any idea what caused the thin lines, and is there anyway of removing the thin lines?

PhotoTime said:
Hi,

I am trying to scan the negatives of my MF wedding photo using Epson 1200U Flatbed scanner. After scanning, I discovered that the edges are darker then the central portion. Is there any way to rectify this situation in Photoshop?

Also, I find that there are some thin lines running across the scanned images, does anybody has any idea what caused the thin lines, and is there anyway of removing the thin lines?
the lines are probably caused by the glass? have u tried to scan again on the same neg, and the lines are still there?

can post the image and let us take a look ?

West_ray said:
the lines are probably caused by the glass? have u tried to scan again on the same neg, and the lines are still there?

can post the image and let us take a look ?

Here are some examples of the scanned image.
scan1.jpg

Below is the second scan of the same image, just that I shifted the image slightly.
scan2.jpg

I am not sure whether the scratches is on the glass or some of the CCD is not functioning well. I once cleaned the CCD, and the image is OK in the first scan, no visible line in the image, but after the second scan, the lines are back.

Another issue, you noticed that towards the left of the image, it is yellowish. I understand that it is due to the negative is not flat. Is there anyway of overcoming this in Photoshop? I tried to scotch tape the negative to glass panel but I am still not able to ensure that it is lying flat on the glass.

the lines are due to dust effect on the ccd. I presume all along you kept the scanner open, which attract dust.

I once used a Minolta film scanner and it had the same coloured lines problem too but not as obvious as yours. Not sure about Nikon, Canon scanners though.

Maybe you try to gas out possible dust obscuring the scanner ccd and try again.

laker said:
the lines are due to dust effect on the ccd. I presume all along you kept the scanner open, which attract dust.

I once used a Minolta film scanner and it had the same coloured lines problem too but not as obvious as yours. Not sure about Nikon, Canon scanners though.

Maybe you try to gas out possible dust obscuring the scanner ccd and try again.

Thanks for you suggestion. I will clean out the CCD area of my flatbed scanner.

My main question is:

As I am scanning my MF photo using flatbed scanner, is there anyway to overcome the darkened area due to curvature of negative in Photoshop? :dunno:

you probably want to put those curved films inside a big yellow pages book overnight to get them flat before scanning, instead of post-processing.

Haha...That is a good answer. I will go to get some thick and heavy book to flatten all my negatives. Thanks.

I have never done scanning of negatives b4 so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to look like. You can try selecting the affected areas and tweaking their color settings in PS to remove the discoloration although I feel it would be better try taping it down better again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.