Scam at river angpao?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedrock

Jun 29, 2003
any1 seen this "Measure Bone Guess yr Surname Stall" in River AngPao? S$10 and the stall owner will "guess yr surename without you opening your mouth". HE will also "tell u yr past and future" . sound good til he showed you how he do it.

He has big piece of large paper with chinese characters arranged in blocks written on it. next you have to place yr hand on the block (one block has 20 characters) where yr chinese surname appeared.

Then he will use a measuring tape to meaure yr fingers and then he will write a surname on a piece of paper. If he got it wrong, he will pass u a stack of index cards. Each card has a group of chinese characters on it, you have to find a card that has yr surname on it.

end of it , you pay $10 for a small photostated piece of paper with some telling that IMHP worth less than $1.

My observations :
1)every block of characters on that big piece of paper has 20 characters. Only one or 2 r common surnames. The rest r characters that you seldom see, even less used as surnames.

2)Same thing for the index cards. Only one or two are used as surnames.

can u deduce on how it is done? read here for a similar trick :

http://shc.jdjd.cn/article3/lzcxjm.htm

junyang

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
HAHA

He was at orchard too.. He was begging me to do it.. then i didn't want.. and i said 50 cents.. well he guessed correctly.. lol..

Ah Pao

Nov 7, 2003
Singapore
www.facebook.com
Simple trick...according to the article all the conman has to do is to correlate the same character on the two sets of cards to find out the correct character.

bedrock

Jun 29, 2003
Ah Pao said:
Simple trick...according to the article all the conman has to do is to correlate the same character on the two sets of cards to find out the correct character.
yeah..the guy at river ang pao depolyed it differently.
On the large piece of paper, within the block of 20 characters there are about 2 that are chinese surenames the rest r characters you probably never see before. Eg :CHEN (AS in TAN AH KOW) and SHEN (SIM WANG HU)

Once you find the block that contains yr surname , the guy will ask you to place your palm on that block. Left palm for guys, right for ladies.

The guy will start to use a measuring tape to measure yr fingers. all this means nuthing. Just a misdirection.

He will write CHEN on a piece of paper. HE guess CHEN as CHEN is a more common surname than SHEN. If he is lucky, he will get it right and he collect $10.

If he got it wrong, he has the stack of index cards for you to try. The card that has the SHEN character will not have the CHEN character so he will get it right this time!

well, magic trick maybe... call it fortune telling and ca ntell u abt yr past n future is really too much. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom