SBS Transit driver attacked by parang-wielding men in JB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
SBS Transit driver attacked by parang-wielding men in JB

SINGAPORE: A Singapore bus driver was attacked by parang-wielding men in a bold robbery attempt in the southern Malaysian city of Johor Bahru on Tuesday evening.

The incident occurred on SBS Transit bus service number 160 which had just left the Kotaraya shopping centre. It was heading for the Woodlands Checkpoint at the border with Singapore.

A caller to MediaCorp's News hotline said the driver was slashed with a parang when he tried to close the door on the men who were trying to board.

An SBS Transit spokesman told Channel NewsAsia that the injured driver would be transferred from the Johor General Hospital to Singapore soon.

He is believed to be a Singapore permanent resident in his early thirties.

It is not known how many passengers were on board at the time of the incident or if any of them were injured. The assailants fled immediately after the incident.

Service 160 plies between Kotaraya in Johor Bahru and the Jurong East Interchange in Singapore, and the journey usually takes about 70 minutes.

- CNA/yt

SBS bus captain slashed in JB transferred to Singapore hospital

SINGAPORE: A 29-year-old SBS Transit bus captain was robbed and slashed by two men in a bold robbery attempt in the southern Malaysian city of Johor Bahru on Tuesday evening.

The incident happened onboard Service 160 which had just left Kotaraya Shopping Centre.

It was headed to the Malaysian Customs Checkpoint when the assailants, believed to be in their 30s, boarded posing as passengers.

In a statement, SBS said that the parang-wielding robbers first approached a middle-aged Chinese woman and tried to rob her.

The passenger shouted for help which drew the bus captain's attention.

The driver immediately stopped the bus and told the robbers to stop what they were doing.

The suspects then turned on the driver and demanded his wallet, which contained RM$260 and S$40.

The robbers took the wallet and slashed the bus captain several times on his upper limbs before fleeing.

The victim sustained a deep gash on his left wrist which also caused a bone fracture.

He was rushed to a hospital in Johor Bahru, then later moved to the Singapore's National University Hospital, where he underwent surgery on Wednesday morning.

The three passengers on board were not injured.

SBS said this is the first time such an incident has occurred on their buses.

They are currently assisting the Malaysian Police in their investigations.

Service 160 plies between Kotaraya in Johor Bahru and the Jurong East Interchange in Singapore and the journey usually takes about 70 minutes.

- AFP/yb

My aunt was robbed in broad daylight aboard a SIN-KL express bus. She boarded the bus early and was suddenly surrounded by 5 "passengers" demanding handbag. The robbers left and the driver boarded the bus. When she asked the driver for help, he just asked her to either stay in the bus or get out and report police, claiming it's non of his business...

I think the robbers have highlighted a general failure in security...

Johor Bahru is a totally written off town as far as I am concerned :think:

There is more to it than you think.
You have to ask.
Why bus 160?

So many other buses in JB. Much easier to rob some one in the backlane than on a bus. Anyway it was a woman on the bus they wanted to rob. Maybe she was flashing too much money around.

If so desperate, then can easily rob some one else at other places.

No, lah. There is more to it.
It may be a turf war between the JB bus transport providers and the SBS bus 160.

Some one just wants to frighten people from taking bus 160.
Or some one is just trying to destroy Kota Raya shopping centre's business by robbing tourists near there. Maybe the shop keepers there did not pay protection money.

There is more to it than you think.
You have to ask.
Why bus 160?

So many other buses in JB. Much easier to rob some one in the backlane than on a bus. Anyway it was a woman on the bus they wanted to rob. Maybe she was flashing too much money around.

If so desperate, then can easily rob some one else at other places.

No, lah. There is more to it.
It may be a turf war between the JB bus transport providers and the SBS bus 160.

Some one just wants to frighten people from taking bus 160.
Or some one is just trying to destroy Kota Raya shopping centre's business by robbing tourists near there. Maybe the shop keepers there did not pay protection money.

Another conspiracy nut .

Was thinking maybe one fine day would like to take a bus ride in but now...:think:

As a Malaysian (working in Singapore, staying in JB), I would advise fellow Singaporean to be more cover-up a bit when travel to Malaysia (not only JB), do not wear branded stuff too much, do not talk purely in English or Singlish, do not open mouth/close mouth say "wah, so cheap!! Singapore sell only $xxx" (always heard this in shopping center, especially those aunties), mostly importantly, always travel in a group.

I was a victim a few years back, end up 6 weeks hospitalization leave (rest at home), broken jaw, stiches on my face (luckily the doctor did a very good job, no scar), lost 3 teeth (spent a few thousand RM to get them fixed).

So anyone can be the victim, not only targeting the Singaporeans, just to be more careful.

Agree with submarine... Not only Singaporeans are target too, it's a general failure of security.

As a Malaysian (working in Singapore, staying in JB), I would advise fellow Singaporean to be more cover-up a bit when travel to Malaysia (not only JB), do not wear branded stuff too much, do not talk purely in English or Singlish, do not open mouth/close mouth say "wah, so cheap!! Singapore sell only $xxx" (always heard this in shopping center, especially those aunties), mostly importantly, always travel in a group.

I was a victim a few years back, end up 6 weeks hospitalization leave (rest at home), broken jaw, stiches on my face (luckily the doctor did a very good job, no scar), lost 3 teeth (spent a few thousand RM to get them fixed).

So anyone can be the victim, not only targeting the Singaporeans, just to be more careful.

Just out of curiosity? Care to share what happened to you?

Just out of curiosity? Care to share what happened to you?

Incident happen a few years back very close to CNY, as I was doing my partime study in Singapore, so need to attend lessons before break for CNY, that morning around 7:30am passing by Danga City Mall (previously known as Best World), somehow not a single bike/car travel together (maybe mostly taken leave for CNY or just my luck), out of sudden, a couple of assH*** riding on a RXZ (this one for sure!) come close me (I did noticed and slow down a bit, around 80km/h, thought it just over take me) and snatch my school bag which I placed in the front basket, the strap got hook to the handle and the assH*** pull my bag causing me to loss control of my bike and eventually felt down.

I'll be more glade if the assH*** managed to snatch my bag (only 2 text books, my Malaysian Restricted Passport (no more in use).

I had my lesson learnt, don't travel alone, do not think that no one dare to "touch" you if your size is big (that's what I thought about my body size but wrong!!!)

Went to JB and my JB friends told me the details.
According to my JB friend, the robbers were Indians.

(edited)

Last edited:
According to my JB friend, the robbers were:

INDIANS.

This was aspect was never reported in local news.
Check all the local news reports.
I guess most never report this.

Even the bus driver who was attacked was never allowed to be interviewed, otherwise he would have revealed this.

My Malaysian friends (not just one but more than one) tell me that nowadays, Malaysian Indian robbers are in a hurry to be infamous for viciousness. Even after you give them all your money, they still insist on chopping you or slashing you.

Singapore Indians are much better.

This is a racist comment. Please take your racist views elsewhere.

According to my JB friend, the robbers were:

INDIANS.

This was aspect was never reported in local news.
Check all the local news reports.
I guess most never report this.

Even the bus driver who was attacked was never allowed to be interviewed, otherwise he would have revealed this.

My Malaysian friends (not just one but more than one) tell me that nowadays, Malaysian Indian robbers are in a hurry to be infamous for viciousness. Even after you give them all your money, they still insist on chopping you or slashing you.

Singapore Indians are much better.
hmmm..

According to my JB friend, the robbers were Indians.

(edited)

I'm sure you're not racist , but be careful , your comments before you edited could be deemed seditious by the authorities . It's simply not worth it.

I'm sure you're not racist , but be careful , your comments before you edited could be deemed seditious by the authorities . It's simply not worth it.

Not seditious. More like "Disruptive to the racial harmony". Seditious is something else entirely.

This brings me memory when Indian Malaysian in trail bike tried to rob me in ayer hitam after my trip from kelong in Sibu. Partly due to my stupidity also stopping on the road side for leak, I just sense something is going to be wrong when I saw trail bike stop near my car and run back to my car close the door then start to move I saw this guy run after my car on foot and tried to open my door ( luckily I have auto lock speed in my car). Then he run to his bike and tried to chase me, I think I drove around 120-160 km until he gave up when I am going to the toll for second link. The best thing is my wife is sleeping and she doesn't know the ordeal until I stop for refueling. That was my last trip to kelong in Sibu, whether I like it or not it makes me reluctant go to MY especially JB. I still go to Penang or KL but I never stop in JB again.

Status
Not open for further replies.