SBGinIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
SBG in IR

Was testing a re-conditioned (very old) 35mm-70mm f3.3 AF Nikkor on the D70.
Please give your views on these pics. Auto levels done, no cropping, frame added that's all. Thanks.

37207-large-DSC_1431_crop2frame.jpg

37209-large-DSC_1349_frame.jpg

37206-large-DSC_1485_framed.jpg

Third pic...woot...snowing in Singapore.....=p

Patryk said:
Third pic...woot...snowing in Singapore.....=p

It does give the feeling, doesn't it?

i love.... the shots. what settings on your camera and what brand and type of IR filter you used? ;)

Adiemus said:
i love.... the shots. what settings on your camera and what brand and type of IR filter you used? ;)

Adiemus, Cyberian - glad you guys like the pics. But I think they lack sharpness.

EXIF (pics 2 & 3):- f3.3, 1/20sec, focal length 35mm, programmed auto, multi-pattern metering, 0ev and preset W/B.
pics 1, all settings same except shutter speed 1/5sec.
Hoya R72 used. No channel mixing was done as I think the preset W/B was accurate to bring out the white in the trees and grass. Any opinions?

They were shot hand held, perhaps it was camera shake that caused the blur.

teerex said:
Adiemus, Cyberian - glad you guys like the pics. But I think they lack sharpness.

EXIF (pics 2 & 3):- f3.3, 1/20sec, focal length 35mm, programmed auto, multi-pattern metering, 0ev and preset W/B.
pics 1, all settings same except shutter speed 1/5sec.
Hoya R72 used. No channel mixing was done as I think the preset W/B was accurate to bring out the white in the trees and grass. Any opinions?

They were shot hand held, perhaps it was camera shake that caused the blur.

1/5 sec was slow... me need tripod already when speed hit 1/15. Agreed with u the blur was cause by hand shake.

Cyberian said:
1/5 sec was slow... me need tripod already when speed hit 1/15. Agreed with u the blur was cause by hand shake.

I'll go try again. This time with a tripod and manual settings.

Cyberian said:
Great. Hope to c more IR photo from u. I myself will get an IR filter too. Which shop have ready stock?

I got mine from CP some time back, $32/- 52mm size. I think price varies according to diameter.

Larren Chen said:
nice pics... :)

erm... can the pic be done this way using PS ??? :think:

Tried doing it before, but does not seem to be able to get it right. Here a sample:

Original Pic.
37358-large-DSC_0654.JPG

Processed Pic
37359-large-DSC_0654_2_bw2.jpg

If you want to handhold, try ISO 1600 lor. D70 is very IR insensitive compared to regular p&s digicams esp the older 2MP ones. Tripod is a must to get sharp pics, but then again when doing IR, the pics won't be sharp compared to regular visible light pics. Guess maybe IR is not optimised for the glasses in the lenses whatever. Besides, trees and leaves, the main IR subjects, do move. :)

Hora R72 is already very 'friendly' to IR. :)

Oh....btw, there are many more opportunities in Sungei Buloh for IR.

2100 said:
If you want to handhold, try ISO 1600 lor. D70 is very IR insensitive compared to regular p&s digicams esp the older 2MP ones. Tripod is a must to get sharp pics, but then again when doing IR, the pics won't be sharp compared to regular visible light pics. Guess maybe IR is not optimised for the glasses in the lenses whatever. Besides, trees and leaves, the main IR subjects, do move. :)

Hora R72 is already very 'friendly' to IR. :)

Thanks very much for your tips, very enlightening. Esp about trees and leaves do move.

Tried to go to Sungei Buloh once, don't have a car so had to take public transport. Got lost after alighting from MRT to try to catch a bus there. Maybe will try again one day.

Thanks again.

teerex said:
Thanks very much for your tips, very enlightening. Esp about trees and leaves do move.

Definitely, due to wind. So seriously speaking, aim for at least 1/30 even in very very light wind condtions. Only do below 1/10 in no wind conditions. Since it's already not very sharp to start with, wide open apertures can be used. (best if your lens is decent in wide-open).

2100 said:
Definitely, due to wind. So seriously speaking, aim for at least 1/30 even in very very light wind condtions. Only do below 1/10 in no wind conditions. Since it's already not very sharp to start with, wide open apertures can be used. (best if your lens is decent in wide-open).

Will definitely bear in mind. Lots to learn from this forum, thanks for sharing 2100. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Witness said:
erhm...i cant see anythin...

The pics are there, don't understand why you can't see.

Status
Not open for further replies.