SBGinIR


Status
Not open for further replies.

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
SBG in IR

Was testing a re-conditioned (very old) 35mm-70mm f3.3 AF Nikkor on the D70.
Please give your views on these pics. Auto levels done, no cropping, frame added that's all. Thanks.





 

Patryk

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
659
0
0
35
Third pic...woot...snowing in Singapore.....=p
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
Patryk said:
Third pic...woot...snowing in Singapore.....=p
It does give the feeling, doesn't it?
 

Adiemus

Senior Member
May 21, 2004
1,676
1
38
48
Small island....
i love.... the shots. what settings on your camera and what brand and type of IR filter you used? ;)
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
Adiemus said:
i love.... the shots. what settings on your camera and what brand and type of IR filter you used? ;)
Adiemus, Cyberian - glad you guys like the pics. But I think they lack sharpness.

EXIF (pics 2 & 3):- f3.3, 1/20sec, focal length 35mm, programmed auto, multi-pattern metering, 0ev and preset W/B.
pics 1, all settings same except shutter speed 1/5sec.
Hoya R72 used. No channel mixing was done as I think the preset W/B was accurate to bring out the white in the trees and grass. Any opinions?

They were shot hand held, perhaps it was camera shake that caused the blur.
 

Cyberian

Senior Member
Mar 22, 2002
504
1
18
Singapore
gallery.clubsnap.com
teerex said:
Adiemus, Cyberian - glad you guys like the pics. But I think they lack sharpness.

EXIF (pics 2 & 3):- f3.3, 1/20sec, focal length 35mm, programmed auto, multi-pattern metering, 0ev and preset W/B.
pics 1, all settings same except shutter speed 1/5sec.
Hoya R72 used. No channel mixing was done as I think the preset W/B was accurate to bring out the white in the trees and grass. Any opinions?

They were shot hand held, perhaps it was camera shake that caused the blur.
1/5 sec was slow... me need tripod already when speed hit 1/15. Agreed with u the blur was cause by hand shake.
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
Cyberian said:
1/5 sec was slow... me need tripod already when speed hit 1/15. Agreed with u the blur was cause by hand shake.
I'll go try again. This time with a tripod and manual settings.
 

nokin

New Member
Dec 18, 2003
267
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Cyberian said:
Great. Hope to c more IR photo from u. I myself will get an IR filter too. Which shop have ready stock?
I got mine from CP some time back, $32/- 52mm size. I think price varies according to diameter.
 

nokin

New Member
Dec 18, 2003
267
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Larren Chen said:
nice pics... :)

erm... can the pic be done this way using PS ??? :think:
Tried doing it before, but does not seem to be able to get it right. Here a sample:


Original Pic.



Processed Pic
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,589
0
0
51
If you want to handhold, try ISO 1600 lor. D70 is very IR insensitive compared to regular p&s digicams esp the older 2MP ones. Tripod is a must to get sharp pics, but then again when doing IR, the pics won't be sharp compared to regular visible light pics. Guess maybe IR is not optimised for the glasses in the lenses whatever. Besides, trees and leaves, the main IR subjects, do move. :)

Hora R72 is already very 'friendly' to IR. :)
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,589
0
0
51
Oh....btw, there are many more opportunities in Sungei Buloh for IR.
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
2100 said:
If you want to handhold, try ISO 1600 lor. D70 is very IR insensitive compared to regular p&s digicams esp the older 2MP ones. Tripod is a must to get sharp pics, but then again when doing IR, the pics won't be sharp compared to regular visible light pics. Guess maybe IR is not optimised for the glasses in the lenses whatever. Besides, trees and leaves, the main IR subjects, do move. :)

Hora R72 is already very 'friendly' to IR. :)
Thanks very much for your tips, very enlightening. Esp about trees and leaves do move.

Tried to go to Sungei Buloh once, don't have a car so had to take public transport. Got lost after alighting from MRT to try to catch a bus there. Maybe will try again one day.

Thanks again.
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,589
0
0
51
teerex said:
Thanks very much for your tips, very enlightening. Esp about trees and leaves do move.
.
Definitely, due to wind. So seriously speaking, aim for at least 1/30 even in very very light wind condtions. Only do below 1/10 in no wind conditions. Since it's already not very sharp to start with, wide open apertures can be used. (best if your lens is decent in wide-open).
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
2100 said:
Definitely, due to wind. So seriously speaking, aim for at least 1/30 even in very very light wind condtions. Only do below 1/10 in no wind conditions. Since it's already not very sharp to start with, wide open apertures can be used. (best if your lens is decent in wide-open).
Will definitely bear in mind. Lots to learn from this forum, thanks for sharing 2100. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
Witness said:
erhm...i cant see anythin...
The pics are there, don't understand why you can't see.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.